PDA

View Full Version : Taught my sis how to shoot today. She's darn good too!

ERdept
07-21-2009, 12:25 AM
My sis and I both grew up in a gun family. We were born in Texas.

I started shooting when I was 7.

But she never fired a gun before. Not until a few days ago.

She pushed for a session so I took her to the range and instructed her on the rules of safety outside the firing lanes.

Then sight picture and grip and what to do when handed any gun.

We drilled this over and over, till I felt comfy.

We started out with the .22 Buckmark then moved on to the XD 9mm

She held steady through all the recoil and actually grouped. The guys in the lane next to us began wondering who was showing them up.

Myself and cousin were amazed as well. Anyway, she exclaimed, "I think I found my new hobby"!

Looks like another one joins the club. Tried the cuz's .45 and put it down after two rounds.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/ERdept/0718091418.jpg

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/ERdept/0718091325.jpg

Hayashi Killian
07-21-2009, 1:01 AM
Good job! The more people we can get shooting as either recreation, hobby or for training the better. I know my mom has shot before, as did my dad, but it's been a long time. Once I start my collection I'll be getting my family out there as much as I can.

Libertus
07-21-2009, 1:15 AM
This looks like Insight shooting range, I go there all the time.

Good job on getting another person interested! :)

Cameron
07-21-2009, 1:57 AM
Way to go!

I just talked my girlfriend into buying a '53 Russian SKS. She's half Russian, so it's all about heritage ;)

Her dad had a few .22s and a few other larger guns and takes her, and her sister shooting every couple months. She also loved the fact that she got a nicer SKS than me...

SCMA-1
07-21-2009, 5:46 AM
Right on! Great job.:thumbsup: Perhaps you can help her work on her grip next? This video should be helpful:

ysa50-plo48

THT
07-21-2009, 6:55 AM
Good work! I took my sister shooting for the first time about three weeks ago. She was on the fence about guns but her range trip pushed her more to the pro-gun side :D

ERdept
07-21-2009, 10:10 AM
This looks like Insight shooting range, I go there all the time.

Good job on getting another person interested! :)

The range was indeed Insight.

ERdept
07-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Right on! Great job.:thumbsup: Perhaps you can help her work on her grip next? This video should be helpful:

ysa50-plo48

Actually, that's her early grip. Notice the groups, though close, for a first timer.

Later the grip was improved, and she knew this but didn't ingrain it till later.

Later I got her into an Isocoles, two arms out and support hand over firing hand with thumbs parallel grip.

Lots of changes over the first firing session.

I taught her the basics of what the NRA wanted all shooters to know and practice and added my own experiences as a competitive and long time shooter.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/ERdept/0718091401.jpg

Black Majik
07-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Great job ERdept! :thumbsup:

SCMA-1
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Actually, that's her early grip. Notice the groups, though close, for a first timer.

Later the grip was improved, and she knew this but didn't ingrain it till later.

Later I got her into an Isocoles, two arms out and support hand over firing hand with thumbs parallel grip.

Lots of changes over the first firing session.

I taught her the basics of what the NRA wanted all shooter to know and practice and added my own experiences as a competitive and long time shooter.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/ERdept/0718091401.jpg

No doubt, she did wonderfully for a first time!;) I see you're an NRA Instructor also!:thumbsup:

Pistolwhipped
07-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Awesome! I love it when we get a new convert. That video above is very helpful but for an XD if shes going to go thumbs high it can get irritating. If your thumb is touching the slide release it wont lock the slide after the last round is fired. I did that and I felt like an idiot because I thought there was something wrong with my gun. Haha!
I know shes your sis but shes cute too! Congrats!

ERdept
07-21-2009, 10:33 AM
We trained for civillian confrontation distance, which mirror police distances..............3-7 yards.

Later, we'll move the target out, the move to carbine, then shotgun, the trick shoot'n. ha ha

K1LLROI
07-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Dang good job..Always a good sign when people still show interest in the shooting sports..especially newbies...
Good job...
+1..

SCMA-1
07-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Of all the students I've trained, women overall have been better first timers than men. I think they listen and concentrate better without the preconceived notions and macho ego baggage that men carry around.;) My sister's first time (many years ago) was similar to yours with your sister; she picked up the basic concepts almost immediately starting (of course) with 22LR and then progressing to the Glock 17 during the same session. She was competently grouping at 7 yards with the 9mm and was actually out shooting alot of guys on the range who obviously have been going to the range for a while.:p

SCMA-1

Greg-Dawg
07-21-2009, 11:49 AM
TEA CUP!!!

Good job brother!