PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt

AdiosKali
07-20-2009, 6:31 PM
Anyone have experience with this? I am looking for one in So. Cal. Trying to decide between the 4" and the 5.5". Mainly will be used for backpacking and self-defense. I like the fact I can put the CCI shotshells in it for snakes, etc.

jyo
07-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Well, I have shot both the 5.5" and the newer 4" Redhawks in .44 mag---sorry no .45 Colt---and would prefer the 4" for your stated purpose. The 5.5" would be a better "all around" gun---especially for hunting, but the 4" is definitely handier. If fact, I am starting to consider 4" revolvers as a perfect packin' pistol (to steal a phrase from John Taffin). I do like the .44 mag because you can shoot .44 Specials in it, but have no problem with .45 Colt.

AdiosKali
07-21-2009, 5:53 AM
Thanks. Now to find one...

scott.cr
07-21-2009, 8:18 AM
It's a very nicely made piece! I had a .45 Colt version some years ago but had to sell it to help pay for the wedding. Anyway, have you considered the .454 model? You can still shoot .45 Colt through it and then you always have the option of going to the harder-charging 454 when the situation calls.

If you "really" like the idea of shotshells, how about the Taurus Judge?

buffybuster
07-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Anyone have experience with this? I am looking for one in So. Cal. Trying to decide between the 4" and the 5.5". Mainly will be used for backpacking and self-defense. I like the fact I can put the CCI shotshells in it for snakes, etc.

I assume you reload. Almost all ammo available for the 45Colt is loaded to 19th century blackpowder pressure levels (for liability reasons). It can be reloaded to exceed .44Mag performance, but there is very little factory ammo available at that power level. If you don't reload, the .44Mag is a more versatile/available choice.

Army GI
07-21-2009, 10:41 AM

Yes! I used to own a stainless steel Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel in .45 Colt. The reason I wanted the Redhawk was because I wanted a modern double action revolver chambered in .45 Colt. Yes, it is possible to shoot the +P loadings in it. But I much preferred to shoot the standard loading of a 250gr bullet at 1000fps (which was the original black powder load from a 7.5" barrel.) Buffalo Bore makes that load called the Standard pressure heavy .45 Colt. (http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=7) If you consider that the 45ACP+P shoots a 230gr bullet at 950 fps, then you can see that the old standard 45 Colt load is still a powerful round. The old Long Colt outclasses the 45 ACP even in it's ancient black powder loading!

As far as the gun itself, it was a neat range gun. But I definitely wouldn't want to carry it. It is VERY heavy and even with the 5.5" barrel slightly cumbersome. But I wanted it for CCW. In that case, the Smith and Wesson M25 in .45 Colt would have been better for that purpose because it's much lighter. But the Ruger is built like a tank. If you're using it for backpacking and stuff, I would go with the longer barrel.

AdiosKali
07-21-2009, 1:42 PM
I assume you reload. Almost all ammo available for the 45Colt is loaded to 19th century blackpowder pressure levels (for liability reasons). It can be reloaded to exceed .44Mag performance, but there is very little factory ammo available at that power level. If you don't reload, the .44Mag is a more versatile/available choice.

Yes I do:cool2:

AdiosKali
07-28-2009, 5:31 PM
Found one! Went with the 4" bbl.

jyo
07-28-2009, 8:56 PM
Good for you! Enjoy.

BigDogatPlay
07-28-2009, 10:03 PM
If you "really" like the idea of shotshells, how about the Taurus Judge?

Sadly not legal in California.