PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about buying out of state

Rifle_Shooter
04-23-2005, 7:42 PM
I know if you purchase a handgun out of state, it has to be on the list. My question is after you pay for the gun,transfer,Dros,shipping,etc do you have to pay CA state taxes on the gun?

Rifle_Shooter
04-23-2005, 7:42 PM
I know if you purchase a handgun out of state, it has to be on the list. My question is after you pay for the gun,transfer,Dros,shipping,etc do you have to pay CA state taxes on the gun?

gunsnrovers
04-23-2005, 8:06 PM
If it's new and from another shop, yes. If it's from a private party, no.

Make sure you get a receipt if they do charge you.

kalibear
04-24-2005, 2:07 PM
Some dealers will do that. The trick is finding one who charges a "fair" price for those internet out-of-state purchases. My dealer charges me $40

MadMex
04-24-2005, 5:56 PM
Have the receipt that shows the price you paid sent separately by surface mail to your address. Ask the shipping FFL to make a receipt, without the price, for shipping purposes.

TannerBoyl
04-29-2005, 7:41 AM
I guess it really depends on the dealer. Some charge tax on new pistols, whereas other dealers don't charge it on any out of state purchase. Good luck!

rjones0604
04-29-2005, 4:19 PM
My dealer friend charges CA state sales tax on ALL gun sales, be they new guns or PPT. The reason he does is that the CA Franchise Tax Board has told him that any gun he enters into his inventory / FFL book (which is what he must do to perform the xfer and effect the waiting period) then he's responsible for sales tax. So, he charges tax. Simple.

rob