PDA

View Full Version : Free places to shoot outdoors in or near Orange County?

hambone
07-20-2009, 4:59 PM
Where can I shoot legally outdoors in or near Orange County other than a range?

PatriotnMore
07-20-2009, 5:01 PM
Near the O.C? No where. you will need to drive.

hambone
07-20-2009, 5:13 PM
How far will I have to drive & to where? I live in Laguna Hills. Thanks.

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-20-2009, 5:45 PM
lytle creek up the 15, and burro canyon, kind of same area, are the nearest i know of.

Rule .308
07-20-2009, 6:55 PM
Neither one of those are free

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-21-2009, 8:18 AM
Neither one of those are free

god forbid you have to pay to go shooting occasionaly. it not exactly what he wanted but it may have to suffice for him.

PatriotnMore
07-21-2009, 8:45 AM
First, the types of land where it is legal to shoot, and mostly free and provided it's not prohibited are, National forest, and BLM land.

Unfortunately you need to do some homework because, BLM makes it's own laws regarding shooting, and what is allowed to be shot, and you cannot just target practice anywhere on National forest. In addition, in many places, on BLM land, it's shotgun only.

Check out the San Bernadino national forest web site, and CA BLM web site.

How far will I have to drive & to where? I live in Laguna Hills. Thanks.

hambone
07-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks to all who have responded so far. PatriotnMore's tip on the San Bernadino National Forest and CA BLM web sites was especially helpful. It looks like there are no free places to shoot outdoors within a reasonable distance from me.
To xibunkrlilkidsx: I don't mind paying "to go shooting occasionally" as you say, but at $16 dollars a day at the closest range to me, it can add up over time. Also, it just rubs me the wrong way that I should have to pay to exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right. As long as someone is shooting responsibly & safely (not shooting near residential areas, using a proper backstop, cleaning up afterwards, etc.), they should be able to shoot outdoors for free. I have nothing against commercial shooting ranges.

CAL.BAR
07-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Hambone - you have the right to own a gun - no one said anything about the acres and acres of very expensive land to shoot it on. Never mind the outdoors (too hot out there anyway) Come over to On Target in Laguna Niguel you can shoot your rifle(s) there after you take the 1 hr class. I shoot there all the time, PM me if you'd like to get together.

sigfan91
07-21-2009, 2:57 PM
I used to shoot at I15 @ Hodge Rd. in San Benardino county. Is that place still OK to use? I haven't been there in years.