PDA

View Full Version : What Would Happen If...

Crawfish141
07-20-2009, 3:25 PM
The CA DOJ declared that bullet buttons would be considered a form of detachable magazine?

Hans Gruber
07-20-2009, 3:28 PM
DOJ can't change legislation. They can't declare anything.

Crawfish141
07-20-2009, 3:31 PM
DOJ can't change legislation. They can't declare anything.

Hmm... I mean, what if the Ca government declared that bullet buttons would be considered a form of detachable magazine?

grammaton76
07-20-2009, 3:34 PM
They tried back in 2006. You might want to do some reading on old threads; it got interesting.

Long and short of it is that they couldn't do it because it would change a lot of things around for the SKS and a few other issues.

Crawfish141
07-20-2009, 3:37 PM
Have a link?

lomalinda
07-20-2009, 4:06 PM
"Long and short of it is that they couldn't do it because it would change a lot of things around for the SKS and a few other issues."

Bill did say that the SKS was the "rifle that saved California."

I regret I haven't read up on the details of that, but if there was a link/summary it would be cool reading.

grammaton76
07-20-2009, 4:10 PM
No one ever wrote an SKS-related summary, as far as I know.

However, you can take a look in the 2A section, go back quite a ways, and start reading.

CHS
07-20-2009, 4:18 PM
The closest thing they can do is the CA legislature could pass a new law declaring that these devices were a form of detachable magazine, therefore creating a new class of assault weapons.

If they did that, everyone would jump for joy because by law they would be required to open up a new AW registration window. When they do that, we would all register our bullet-button'ed rifles as AW's. Once registered we could then throw away the bullet buttons and replace them with the regular mag release and 30rd magazines :)

In short, it won't happen. Period.

grammaton76
07-20-2009, 4:27 PM
Actually, with a new law, they could classify these as a new variety of AW which is not allowed to remove bullet buttons.

The whole "They can't do that!" thing we went through in '06 had to do with the DOJ attempting to ramrod through an altered definition without legislation.

This is why many folks make references to "attempts at underground regulations" in the past...

Fjold
07-20-2009, 4:45 PM
What will happen if the legislature rules that all semi-automatic firearms are assault weapons?

You can ask all the "what if" questiions that you want but no one will have all the answers.

RolinThundr
07-20-2009, 6:24 PM
The SKS quote comes from this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=202086

Hope it is what you are looking for.