PDA

View Full Version : Jennings J-22 Experiences...

Turbinator
02-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi all,

Took time this past weekend to go try out a Jennings J-22 that's been sitting around doing nothing. Let me say this.. they should call this gun:

The Jammings J-22

In my typical fashion whenever firing a gun I've never fired before, I load 1 round into the magazine first, then chamber, then fire at the target. The gun would fire after a long, heavy, and unpredictable trigger pull. The slide would reciprocate, the empty case might be extracted, but invariably the case itself would never get ejected from the gun!

In testing two rounds in the magazine, the first round would fire, the slide would come back, but the brass wouldn't be ejected. The next round would then be stripped off the magazine, effectively creating a double-feed situation.

I didn't bother to load more than 2 rounds in the mag after noticing this effect.

In one case, the spent case was not extracted at all - the extractor failed to grab onto the rim.

In another instance, the spent case was extracted and promptly re-fed back into the empty chamber. In this case, the extractor retained its grip on the rim.

Group size results were nothing short of "impressive." http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Shooting at a mere 10 yards away, group sizes seemed to be in the 5" to 6" category - a rough estimate based on the shots I could actually find that hit the target, a standard silhouette sized piece of paper. Because of the inconsistency of shot placement, I didn't bother to go into more extensive testing.

I had heard much about the famed Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, etc brands. This was my first experience with the real deal, and I must say, I was not disappointed - everything I heard was TRUE!

Now, let's hear YOUR experiences with comparable firearms - don't hold back!

Turby

Turbinator
02-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Double post..

ivanimal
02-14-2005, 11:58 PM
You know Ive always seen them in gun cases and wondered why they were so inexpensive......

Ford8N
02-15-2005, 6:50 AM
I have tried one. It worked ok. It did jam once in awhile but it was loaded with cheapo Wildcat. It had long enough strings between jams to be tolerable. After all, it only costs $39.95 http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Turbinator
02-15-2005, 8:42 AM
Thought you all would like to see a pic of the item in question:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_5651b.jpg

Please try to contain your envy and jealousy! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Turby

ps. I'm not posting it to sell.. just sharing my experiences - no plans to get rid of it.

schizrade
02-15-2005, 8:29 PM
I got a friends working at Chabot once. It was bought in 1972-77 (they are not sure when) and never fired. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

The damn thing would only cycle hot rounds and after a while it started slam-firing and almost fired out of battery. Piece of crap.

02-15-2005, 8:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Turbinator:

ps. I'm not posting it to sell.. just sharing my experiences - no plans to get rid of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After your unabashed review, how much success do you think you'd have dumping it off on someone now, anyway?
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Group size results were nothing short of "impressive." Shooting at a mere 10 yards away, group sizes seemed to be in the 5" to 6" category - <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She's a keeper alright.
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Technical Ted
02-15-2005, 8:45 PM
Get it chrome plated and add some custom grips and it would look SWEEEEEET http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Maybe a tac light and tritium sights http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

Of course, you wouldn't be adding any value to it. Just throwing your money away....

ivanimal
02-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Those are nice grips are they real wood? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jared@barringtons.com
02-16-2005, 2:05 AM
For those of you who are not familiar with it, this is how to operate the Jennings 22 ( AKA, Single-shot automatic ):

1. Load the magazine and insert in to the handle of the gun.

2. Draw the slide and release it to chamber a round.

3. Aim down the sights and when ready, fire.

4. The slide will blow-back but the shell will not eject.

5. Pull and hold the slide back and remove the shell with tweizers.

6. Repete the steps 2 through 5 until all rounds have been fired.

7. Once all rounds have been fired, dispose pistol.

Turbinator
02-16-2005, 2:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ivanimal:
Those are nice grips are they real wood? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact, they are - thanks for noticing. They came pre-installed, so I don't know if they had to be hand whittled and hand fitted to the frame. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm also not sure what kind of wood they are. I'm hoping it's Hawaiian Koa wood, so that the value of the item will be increased. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Turby

schizrade
02-16-2005, 4:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 44 Canon:
For those of you who are not familiar with it, this is how to operate the Jennings 22 ( AKA, Single-shot automatic ):

7. Once all rounds have been fired, dispose pistol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds about right.
Oh and be ready for lots of burning crap to burn your skin. LOTS.

Turbinator
02-16-2005, 9:29 PM
I didn't get the burning crap on my skin - presumably you mean bits of powder, etc. Didn't happen, although I didn't put a whole lot of rounds through the gun that day.

Turby

Mike Searson
02-16-2005, 9:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Turbinator:

I'm also not sure what kind of wood they are. I'm hoping it's Hawaiian Koa wood, so that the value of the item will be increased. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Turby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard it said that they only use select Brazilian BusBenchBoard on their stocks.
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ivanimal
02-17-2005, 12:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I'm also not sure what kind of wood they are. I'm hoping it's Hawaiian Koa wood, so that the value of the item will be increased. Wink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
[/QUOTE]

I had a car whose value went up or down depending on the level of gas in the tank.

Greg3358
02-16-2011, 11:43 AM
(I must first say that I am not a certified armorer and making any modifications to your gun is not my responsibility its YOURS) Ok, now thats out of the way. I had a friend moving out of state he asked me if I wanted a piece of crap 22 pistol. Me being the gun nut I am, I said sure. What I took possession of was a j-22 that would not extract a round no matter what. After inspecting the spent round I could see the extractor was not completely grabbing the edge of the round. The extractor was working fine but not fully seating in the notch on the side of the chamber. This notch is a very poor design and I will tell you how I fixed it. You will need a drill press, drill bits, and small jeweler files. starting with the smallest drill bit, drill out just the rear of the notch then smooth the drilling with a file, then test fire the gun. repeat these steps with the next size drill bit until it extracts . this exposes some of the chambered rounds case but seems not to affect anything but allowing the gun to work everytime it is fired. All of these guns are different a little experimentation will be needed on your part to get the notch just right..... My j-22 now shoots and cycles perfectly everytime... Good luck

joeyant
02-16-2011, 11:46 AM
(I must first say that I am not a certified armorer and making any modifications to your gun is not my responsibility its YOURS) Ok, now thats out of the way. I had a friend moving out of state he asked me if I wanted a piece of crap 22 pistol. Me being the gun nut I am, I said sure. What I took possession of was a j-22 that would not extract a round no matter what. After inspecting the spent round I could see the extractor was not completely grabbing the edge of the round. The extractor was working fine but not fully seating in the notch on the side of the chamber. This notch is a very poor design and I will tell you how I fixed it. You will need a drill press, drill bits, and small jeweler files. starting with the smallest drill bit, drill out just the rear of the notch then smooth the drilling with a file, then test fire the gun. repeat these steps with the next size drill bit until it extracts . this exposes some of the chambered rounds case but seems not to affect anything but allowing the gun to work everytime it is fired. All of these guns are different a little experimentation will be needed on your part to get the notch just right..... My j-22 now shoots and cycles perfectly everytime... Good luck

Why would you dig up a thread that was last posted on February of 2005?????????

robcoe
02-16-2011, 11:48 AM
I have found Jennings to be great for target practice, if a tad expensive. They only hold up for 1 or 2 hits.

Crap, just realized I got sucked into the mother of all necroposts.

rromeo
02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
5 year anniversary revival, awesome!
Too bad it's a day early.

BTW, I paid $10 at a local pawn shop for a J22.

redcliff
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Probably because he was excited that he found a way to make a Jennings run reliably, and did a search before posting as recommended and found a thread that seemed relevant? :)

kennmark
02-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I have one, i am happy with it. It really works great.............

...........as a paperweight, nothing else!

rromeo
02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
I got mine as a paperweight. Jennings is my middle name.

JAGGUY
02-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Mine emptys mag after mag without any failure as long as I use minimags. I bought it 27 years ago for $45 and think I have gotten my moneys worth.

HspncElvis
02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi all,

Took time this past weekend to go try out a Jennings J-22 that's been sitting around doing nothing. Let me say this.. they should call this gun:

The Jammings J-22

In my typical fashion whenever firing a gun I've never fired before, I load 1 round into the magazine first, then chamber, then fire at the target. The gun would fire after a long, heavy, and unpredictable trigger pull. The slide would reciprocate, the empty case might be extracted, but invariably the case itself would never get ejected from the gun!

In testing two rounds in the magazine, the first round would fire, the slide would come back, but the brass wouldn't be ejected. The next round would then be stripped off the magazine, effectively creating a double-feed situation.

I didn't bother to load more than 2 rounds in the mag after noticing this effect.

In one case, the spent case was not extracted at all - the extractor failed to grab onto the rim.

In another instance, the spent case was extracted and promptly re-fed back into the empty chamber. In this case, the extractor retained its grip on the rim.

Group size results were nothing short of "impressive." http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Shooting at a mere 10 yards away, group sizes seemed to be in the 5" to 6" category - a rough estimate based on the shots I could actually find that hit the target, a standard silhouette sized piece of paper. Because of the inconsistency of shot placement, I didn't bother to go into more extensive testing.

I had heard much about the famed Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, etc brands. This was my first experience with the real deal, and I must say, I was not disappointed - everything I heard was TRUE!

Now, let's hear YOUR experiences with comparable firearms - don't hold back!

Turby

I've had a Jennings/Bryco 380 Auto since 1992. Last time I recall taking it to the range was 1996. Never had a problem with it. Might have to pull it out of the safe and take it for a spin. :D

RedFord150
02-16-2011, 1:27 PM
My J-22 only jammed once or twice per magazine. I think sold it for half of what I paid for it.
Good riddance...

Joe
02-16-2011, 1:29 PM
6 year rez post. lol

Swift Justice
02-16-2011, 4:04 PM
I bought a J22 new back in the eighties. I count it as the worst gun I have ever owned. Could not get it to fire more than 2 rounds without jamming. Don't think I ever got through a full mag. Sold it and was glad to see it go - gave full disclosure to the buyer but they bought it anyway.

This is in contrast to a Raven P25, which I have shot extensively and has never given me any trouble.

And I ain't 'fraid of no necro posts...

Mickey D
02-16-2011, 6:23 PM
My J-22 only jammed once or twice per magazine. I think sold it for half of what I paid for it.
Good riddance...

^ same.

I had one in 1983. Real POS. Traded it straight across for a Sheridan .17 pump pellet pistol. Great deal .... for me.

Callipygian
02-16-2011, 8:46 PM
y'all havent got to the good part, once you get past past the Jennings jamming stage, the sear wears out and it becomes the the Jennings "Jammin!" 22. full auto, bzzzzt 7 rds. in .2 seconds... always a laugh if it doesnt take yer face off...
prolly one of the worst guns evah! Take it to the closest gun buyback post haste!

jamesob
02-16-2011, 8:54 PM
i had a little chrome one. bang bang jam bang jam bang jam something like that.

TangoCharlie
02-16-2011, 9:44 PM
Very confused. Is there something technical going on or did a 6 year old post just get resurrected on it's anniversary?

five.five-six
02-16-2011, 9:55 PM
5 year anniversary revival, awesome!
Too bad it's a day early.

BTW, I paid $10 at a local pawn shop for a J22.

that's probably why jennings went out of business

they had to melt down 7 hotwheels cars (at a cost of $2.00 each) to make a $10 pistol

Rudolf the Red
02-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Those were $39-$45 wholesale in 1992.

I've always remembered that. Cheapest brand new gun I have ever seen.

Bakerloo
02-17-2011, 5:32 AM
I rediscovered mine around Christmas. It was in the bottom of my gun cleaning case. It was siting there in its original box under some rags.
I remember how it jammed every other shot. I did a little research and found this:

http://www.bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

The dumb little gun has a following...

Swift Justice
02-17-2011, 8:39 AM
I could never understand the anti's rabid desire to ban this (type) of gun. If they only knew how terrible it was, they would want every criminal to have one. They would never be able to shoot anyone, and you could tack on a firearms enhancement to the charges...

Mstnpete
02-17-2011, 8:43 AM
I had one a long time ago. And for some reason the CCI Stingers really worked well on that pistol. No jamming issues at all.

Turbinator
02-17-2011, 7:54 PM
Wow, I'm flattered that one of my posts from 2005 got brought back up to see the light of day. Awesome!

I still have the J-22 - you'll see it in my "how to photograph firearms" thread, and in fact it's sitting at my computer desk right now.. Once in awhile, I'll pick it up and cycle the slide, then put it back down. Something to do while waiting for the PC, or sitting on a conference call...

Turby

toby
02-17-2011, 8:19 PM
Only reason I have not chucked mine in the trash is...... well I don't know? I will take it out one more time and if it wont cycle :cuss: it wont be coming home.

Turbinator
02-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Only reason I have not chucked mine in the trash is...... well I don't know? I will take it out one more time and if it wont cycle :cuss: it wont be coming home.

At least use it in a lucrative gun buyback program. Get a grocery gift card or something.

Turby

FourTenJaeger
03-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Sorry for an unfortunate bump.. But mine runs fine.. If you consider jamming every round fine! :D

Bobby Ricigliano
03-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Straight Junk. there would be a revolt in my safe if I put one in there.

JAGGUY
03-08-2011, 9:08 AM
Straight Junk. there would be a revolt in my safe if I put one in there.

Interesting.... I have handguns ranging from several thousand $ down to RG's and yes a Jennings J22 and they all seem to get along just fine...
Guess none of my guns are snobs.

Bobby Ricigliano
03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Funny you mentioned that. I forgot that I have an old RG .25 ACP in my safe that I inherited from my Grandfather.

mincoda
03-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Jennings J22 are great training pistols, and really inexpensive to shoot! You learn how to clear jam after jam and after awhile it becomes second nature. But it really isn't designed to shoot much because it will take you 20 minutes to fire 6 rounds. :rofl2:

My brother in law has one and we will probably never take it out again after it blew the slide off.
But it is not to late to get one so here you go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219252849

frankm
03-08-2011, 9:21 PM
Interesting. Mine shoots fine. Guess I got lucky.

caoboy
06-11-2011, 1:03 AM
My mom has one. It's chrome. I think it has the jamming problem. She wanted to trade it in, I told her it's not worth anything, and to give it to me instead. I'd like to have one to at least say I have a 'rare off roster' pistol LOL!

RedFord150
06-11-2011, 8:14 AM
My mom has one. It's chrome. I think it has the jamming problem. She wanted to trade it in, I told her it's not worth anything, ...

Funny, my J-22 had a jamming problem. I sold it for cheap a long time ago.
It is worth $100 at a 'Gun Buy-Back' event.

Hilldweller
06-17-2011, 4:22 PM
Sorry to keep this thread alive but I just HAD to chime in when I saw this.

Get it chrome plated and add some custom grips and it would look SWEEEEEET http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hey, I had a J-22 I bought way back and that came chromed with nice wood handles !:) Don't remember it jamming, but I don't think I put more than a small box of rounds through it, if that.

Don't know if I kept it, but I'll take a look if anyone is interested in it. Make me an offer. Buyer pays shipping and FFL transfer fees or PPT fees if you're local to me (and I happen to find it). :D:D

bob_e95482
06-17-2011, 5:31 PM
I inherited mine from my mom, and haven't gotten around to try it out yet.

JAGGUY
06-17-2011, 5:52 PM
Sorry to keep this thread alive but I just HAD to chime in when I saw this.

Hey, I had a J-22 I bought way back and that came chromed with nice wood handles !:) Don't remember it jamming, but I don't think I put more than a small box of rounds through it, if that.

Don't know if I kept it, but I'll take a look if anyone is interested in it. Make me an offer. Buyer pays shipping and FFL transfer fees or PPT fees if you're local to me (and I happen to find it). :D:D

PPT only on this since it's not on the roster.

My J-22 will empty box after box of Minimags without jamming. Can't say that for just any brand of .22's though...

586L-Frame
06-17-2011, 8:42 PM
I had one a long time ago. And for some reason the CCI Stingers really worked well on that pistol. No jamming issues at all.

I still have mine from the 80's, a nickel finish one with wooden grips.
CCI Stingers were recommended to resolve jams and cycling problems
as I recalled. I haven't fired mine in 20+ yrs.
Looks nice in it's original blue box.
586L-Frame

Hilldweller
06-18-2011, 12:23 PM
PPT only on this since it's not on the roster.

My J-22 will empty box after box of Minimags without jamming. Can't say that for just any brand of .22's though...

Thank you for the info. Newbie here. I'll search for "The Rules" and see what I get.

Fishslayer
06-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Very confused. Is there something technical going on or did a 6 year old post just get resurrected on it's anniversary?

Didn't you read the ressurector?:confused:

neto1204
07-19-2011, 6:29 PM
i have a j-22 and i shoot cci stinger mini mags and hasnt jam on me yet this was my first gun and i love it but people have diffrent experiences mines was great other were bad...

Bakerloo
07-19-2011, 7:21 PM
I shot mine last week...It wouldn't extract anything. After I left the range, I did buy some CCI Stingers to try sometime...Maybe I can resurect this thread in December.:D

pyromensch
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
the name stuck in my mind, and i thought i remembered an issue of "gun tests", that said that it was a reliable pocket gun. this was in the 80's, and i don't know when yours was made

Bakerloo
07-26-2011, 6:32 PM
Took mine out today with CCI Stingers and Winchester Wildcats. I shot about 100 rounds without a failure. Can't hit anything beyond 10 yards, but I really didn't expect it to be accurate.

1lowluv
07-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Just picked one up from my mom today! Gonna try it out using minimags and ill let you guys know how it works

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/superhotsanco/2011-07-26_21-50-41_332.jpg

Has the original box and all paperwork that came with it.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/superhotsanco/2011-07-26_21-52-45_651.jpg

Bakerloo
07-27-2011, 6:12 AM
I have the original box and paperwork for mine as well. I think that makes it worth $50 at most gun buy backs...:D

Longbow
07-27-2011, 9:52 AM

7. Once all rounds have been fired, dispose pistol.

LoL - True, and For The Win....

Former Jennings fishing weight owner...

Longbow

llamatrnr
07-27-2011, 11:40 AM
But...but...they are cute! :D

I've almost never had a problem with mine (until the 2nd round)

Bigtime1
07-27-2011, 3:18 PM
Jennings J-22, the original single shot conversion pistol. Not by choice though. I still have one tucked in a backpack somewhere. Picked it up in the late '80s IIRC. It would blow through a magazine of CCI Stingers without a problem then. I took it to the range a year ago or so and couldn't get any of the ammo I had with me to run more than two rounds with a jam.

zoid52
07-27-2011, 7:05 PM
Bought the J22 new in 1992 for about $80 if I recall. Sent it back to Bryco for jamming issues. Sent me the gun back with note saying use only CCI minimags for reliable feeding. I have shot almost a brick of MM without a jam. But one of the magazines they sent me broke where the base meets the body.

JAGGUY
08-01-2011, 1:40 PM
Too bad we can't import one into this State. This would be a great chance for someone to own a fine example!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=243562031

hbryant
07-10-2013, 3:44 AM
Hello and Greetings to all. I have owned a Jennings J-22 since I was 21, back in 1992 and surprisingly I have never had any jams with my J-22. I always have used Federal High and "Hyper-Velocity" FMJs and CCI Stingers in it and keep mine cleaned and lightly oiled. If I remember correctly, I purchased mine from a Firearm store in Pasadena. I think the store name was "Lock, Stock and Barrel" and I paid about $80 after taxes and paperwork. I am an experienced federal law enforcement officer from the former Dept. of Justice, I.N.S. (now C.B.P.) and have extensive firearms training as a result. I would not want to bet my life on such an inexpensive, minimal quality control pistol (although the Israelis routinely utilized the .22lr caliber for their Sky Marshals, but with a far-superior pistol, the Beretta Model 70 if I remember correctly).