PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry in San Diego.

natcho
07-20-2009, 3:03 PM
This is my first post here so I hope it isn't redundant. A local paper here, the Reader, published a story about a group who are pushing open carry about town with amazing success. There is a rigid protocol in doing this but I think it could be the answer to the lack of CCWs here. I will certainly support this movement if I know of any time and place where I can participate. I'll list my email here and will welcome any info. brogan21@cox.net .

grammaton76
07-20-2009, 3:07 PM
Heh, unfortunately there is not yet a cohesive organization handling this.

I'm sure pullnshoot25 will contact you; however, there's no real official org yet. So far, most of the events have been more or less "flash mobs".

However, you really do need to watch the Calguns forums and watch for upcoming events - that'll let you know without fail if there are upcoming Open Carry events happening.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-20-2009, 4:07 PM
Pull your email down and send it in a PM to pullnshoot25 or grammaton76. They seem to be some of the main organizers of our UOC events. Also, keep an eye out in the general gun discussion or 2nd Amendment forums. That seems to be where we end up doing most of the planning. Or rather, some of them do the planning, and some of us tag along for the ride. Welcome aboard. :)

-Mb

Miltiades
07-20-2009, 5:09 PM
I happened to read the open carry article yesterday in the San Diego Reader. It was a long and thorough article, written without any sign of bias on the part of the author. It covered several different individuals open carrying in different places, describing their interactions with other citizens and the police. The individuals were interviewed about their philosophy and reasons for open carry.

ZepoL
07-20-2009, 5:26 PM
I recently read this in the SD Reader too. Hats off to the author of the article. As mentioned above, she neutrally described her experience with her first unloaded open carry and also first range visit. It was an enjoyable read for me.

I'm looking forward to making it out to the next OC meet as soon as it becomes planned.

And to natcho, welcome to CalGuns!

pullnshoot25
07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Heh, unfortunately there is not yet a cohesive organization handling this.

I'm sure pullnshoot25 will contact you; however, there's no real official org yet. So far, most of the events have been more or less "flash mobs".

However, you really do need to watch the Calguns forums and watch for upcoming events - that'll let you know without fail if there are upcoming Open Carry events happening.

They aren't flash mobs, dammit! :)

grammaton76 has been instrumental in coordinating a few of these events but I do not think flashmobs are as cohesive or as organized as these events are.

Keep thine eyes on the blog and much information will come soon.

CARRY ON!

-N8

Army
07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Having been one of the "mobsters" in San Diego, I can report that all participants were courteous, didn't shoot anybody, and did not report a single instance of little old ladies screaming and fainting in shear terror at the sight of guns at the sides of law abiding citizens.

Yes, our group got "E" checked on a, seemingly, regular basis all day. But we simply made sure the SDSD only performed a check, and not a detainment. Each time, they told us to have a nice day :D

jazman
07-28-2009, 2:02 PM
There are all kinds of threads and info on the 2nd Amendment forums here on Cal Guns that have to do with unloaded open carry (UOC). Plenty of information to educate yourself on the SD gatherings (although the last one did not allow new people for some reason), and also possible negatives like getting busted for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's a general thought to have $20K or so in the bank just in case. Stuff happens.

pullnshoot25
07-28-2009, 2:10 PM
There are all kinds of threads and info on the 2nd Amendment forums here on Cal Guns that have to do with unloaded open carry (UOC). Plenty of information to educate yourself on the SD gatherings (although the last one did not allow new people for some reason), and also possible negatives like getting busted for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's a general thought to have $20K or so in the bank just in case. Stuff happens.

We needed a little bit of secrecy in the last one, due to the spread-out manner. We wanted as little police involvement as possible :)