PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a G19

MasterYong
07-20-2009, 1:56 PM
Yep, got a good deal on one recently so I decided to take the plunge.

Normally I don't like the grips on Glocks, but I hadn't handled the G19 before and for some reason this particular model fits in my hands perfectly.

This is also my first 9mm. I have a few .45 ACP pistols, a .357 Mag, and some .22LR's but I haven't fired a 9mm before. Can the G19 eat anything that's 9x19? Can it take +p ammo? +p+??? I don't have it yet of course because of the stupid cool-off period (like I really need a cool-off period, if I was on some sort of murderous rampage I have plenty of options in the safe) so much of this may be covered in the manual but I figured I'd get a head start.

What's the best self-defense ammo for this gun (or 9mm handguns in general). I'm sure there are a few that would be considered the "best" and I'll probably still use one of my .45 pistols for home defense or maybe a shotgun but I'd still like to keep HD ammo in the mags when it's at home.

How about paper-punching/target ammo? What's good for that?

I got a few boxes on independence at the local hardware store for $9.99/50 but I don't know if that was a good deal or not- seemed like a hell of a deal since I'm used to paying for .45 ammo!

Thoughts?

TwitchALot
07-20-2009, 2:38 PM
As far as feeding it goes, don't shoot lead through it and you'll be fine. :)

fed20
07-20-2009, 2:48 PM
congrats on your new gun!

Juicymeat
07-20-2009, 2:48 PM
This is also my first 9mm. I have a few .45 ACP pistols, a .357 Mag, and some .22LR's but I haven't fired a 9mm before. Can the G19 eat anything that's 9x19? Can it take +p ammo? +p+??? I don't have it yet of course because of the stupid cool-off period (like I really need a cool-off period, if I was on some sort of murderous rampage I have plenty of options in the safe) so much of this may be covered in the manual but I figured I'd get a head start.

Glocks tend to eat just about everything you can put into it and I have shot +p ammo through mine without any problems as well as my own lead reloads.

What's the best self-defense ammo for this gun (or 9mm handguns in general). I'm sure there are a few that would be considered the "best" and I'll probably still use one of my .45 pistols for home defense or maybe a shotgun but I'd still like to keep HD ammo in the mags when it's at home.

Stick with the name brand types like Federal HST, Remington Golden Sabers, Speer Gold Dots, etc. and you'll be fine.

Whatever is cheapest and readily available.

I got a few boxes on independence at the local hardware store for $9.99/50 but I don't know if that was a good deal or not- seemed like a hell of a deal since I'm used to paying for .45 ammo!

That's a decent price, not bad, but not great. I'd get it if I were you.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-20-2009, 2:51 PM
+P yes, +P+ not a good idea on a steady basis.

MasterYong
07-20-2009, 2:55 PM
+P yes, +P+ not a good idea on a steady basis.

Thanks.

I probably wont shoot either, but just wanted to find out.

MasterYong
07-20-2009, 3:00 PM
As far as feeding it goes, don't shoot lead through it and you'll be fine. :)

Why not?

I don't think I've ever shot lead rounds through my .45's before anyways, hell I don't think I've ever even SEEN lead rounds in .45 ACP in the store before, but if the glocks are so invincible why can't it handle lead rounds?

I know lead is harder to clean sometimes but is there a reason the Glocks don't eat it?

ponderosa
07-20-2009, 3:13 PM
Glock barrels are polygonal "rifled" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling) so lead tends to stick to it and lots of lead will cause increased pressures. Or so I've heard....

I've shot the Independence brand in my G17 and found it less accurate than WWB (tends to be "dirty") or American Eagle (tends to be cleaner imo). But I can't find 9mm anywhere, so I'd buy it because it goes bang.

You could buy an aftermarket barrel w/ standard rifling if you want to shoot lead tho...

TwitchALot
07-20-2009, 3:19 PM
Why not?

I don't think I've ever shot lead rounds through my .45's before anyways, hell I don't think I've ever even SEEN lead rounds in .45 ACP in the store before, but if the glocks are so invincible why can't it handle lead rounds?

I know lead is harder to clean sometimes but is there a reason the Glocks don't eat it?

Lead is usually used by reloaders attempting to save even more money, although a commercial manufacturer might use it somewhere. Glocks CAN handle lead rounds, but Glock's polygonal rifling can result in lead buildup fairly quickly, and fouling the barrel and the resulting increases in pressure can result in a catastrophic failure. If you don't shoot lead, and most people don't, and most ammo isn't (it's mostly jacketed, that is), don't worry about it. :)

MasterYong
07-20-2009, 3:37 PM
Lead is usually used by reloaders attempting to save even more money, although a commercial manufacturer might use it somewhere. Glocks CAN handle lead rounds, but Glock's polygonal rifling can result in lead buildup fairly quickly, and fouling the barrel and the resulting increases in pressure can result in a catastrophic failure. If you don't shoot lead, and most people don't, and most ammo isn't (it's mostly jacketed, that is), don't worry about it. :)

Sweet . Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I got the 9mm mostly because it'll be less expensive to shoot than my .45s... also I can find 9mm pretty easily but can't find .45 'cept once in a blue moon. The 9mm is so inexpensive to shoot that I don't think I'd go even further and try to save money shooting lead bullets.

Thanks!

MKE
07-20-2009, 5:09 PM
Can the G19 eat anything that's 9x19? Can it take +p ammo? +p+???
I've shot +P and reloaded (FMJ 115gr) through mine with no issues. I would not recommend using lead...it's a pain to clean, especially if you plan on shooting a lot of ammo.

What's the best self-defense ammo for this gun (or 9mm handguns in general).
Winchester Ranger and Gold Dot 147gr are good self-defense ammo according some reviews. I also have have the Cor-Bon 115gr and Hydra Shocks 124gr. Here's an interesting article (http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm) on self-defense ammo.

The WWB are fine for target practice ammo. I used those and my reloads.

I got a few boxes on independence at the local hardware store for $9.99/50 but I don't know if that was a good deal or not
That's a good deal. The WWB are $19.00 per box of 100, if you can find them at Wal-Mart.

sierrawoodsman
07-20-2009, 5:26 PM
My brother in law has sent many +p+ 127 grn winchester rangers downrange with his 19 and never had a problem.

sd1023x
07-20-2009, 6:17 PM
Congratulations on purchase!

Glock is as tough as they come so feel comfortable with any type of ammo, +p/+p+ or not (i can only attest to brass, haven't tried steel or aluminum).

Lead, my friend shot 100 rounds of lead out of his G19 at LAX gun range, i got the impression that the lead build up was getting uncomfortablely thick by the end of it, and he had hell of a time cleaning his barrel.

Welcome to the fraternity. http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

Pryde
07-20-2009, 7:39 PM
Winchester Ranger 147gr

glockman19
07-20-2009, 8:50 PM
Congrats.

MasterYong
07-21-2009, 8:29 AM
These 10-day waits just kill me. I like shooting too much to wait that long LOL

In the meantime- anyone know a good site to order spare mags from?

Any holster recommendations? As the Glocks have no external safety, is there a holster that's recommended or maybe even specifically designed for the Glocks? I have a blackhawk sherpa (spelling?) for my XD45, and some others, but I've never really found a setup that I'm really happy with for that gun. What's the take on concealment holsters (IWB most likely, or OWB) for the G19?

I just can't wait to have this pistol released. Having a caliber larger than .22LR that's still affordable to shoot like crazy will be a blast. The .45's are just too expensive! :eek:

Greg-Dawg
07-21-2009, 9:37 AM
Welcome to the club, and get rid of that XD.

These 10-day waits just kill me. I like shooting too much to wait that long LOL

In the meantime- anyone know a good site to order spare mags from?

Any holster recommendations? As the Glocks have no external safety, is there a holster that's recommended or maybe even specifically designed for the Glocks? I have a blackhawk sherpa (spelling?) for my XD45, and some others, but I've never really found a setup that I'm really happy with for that gun. What's the take on concealment holsters (IWB most likely, or OWB) for the G19?

I just can't wait to have this pistol released. Having a caliber larger than .22LR that's still affordable to shoot like crazy will be a blast. The .45's are just too expensive! :eek:

Holsters: Galco. As for mags, I've had a lot of luck getting them at gun shows.

Good luck finding ammo.

SCMA-1
07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
This is probably the best accessory I've found for the Glock:

http://midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=972959

I have them on all 7 of my Glocks; makes a huge difference in control. For carry ammo in 9mm, I prefer Winchester Ranger Talon 127 gr. JHP:

http://www.ombexpress.com/sf_762/c_282/p_AM547.aspx
http://www.ombexpress.com/sf_762/c_282.aspx

Free shipping on ammo through Thursday, 23rd (Midnight). You can backorder and they will ship when in stock.

SCMA-1

MasterYong
07-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the club, and get rid of that XD.

Holsters: Galco. As for mags, I've had a lot of luck getting them at gun shows.

Good luck finding ammo.

Yes, because someone on the internet told me to, I'll get rid of the most reliable, accurate, and comfortable pistol I have ever experienced. :p Thanks! :p:p

I'm sure the G19 will be just as reliable, as the Glocks are known to be absolute TANKS, but keep in mind that the XD has gone through the same "torture test" as the Glock and passed with the same flying colors. I read one article where the individual running the test sent 40,000 rounds through the XD with no malfunctions. Another where the author did all of the sand/mud/freezing/salt water/etc tests and the XD did just as well as the Glock. Both are great pistols, some of the reasons they're great are the same, and there are some differences too. Personally I think the XD has way better sights.

Finding ammo in 9mm is easy where I live, that's why I got the pistol. Easy to get ammo that's CHEAP (at least in my experience, though I'm sure it's 200% more than it was 2 years ago).

I'll look into the Galco holsters, thanks!

What's a good price on mags? The internet standard price seems to be about $30.

Greg-Dawg
07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
...I'll look into the Galco holsters, thanks!

What's a good price on mags? The internet standard price seems to be about $30.

I'm just pulling your chain. For inside the waistband and outside, Galco leather works best:

Got this one for $20, WB226
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/WB226001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/WACarryrevealed.jpg

For outside, I have a "Cop Slide":
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/Galco001.jpg

I'm used to the retention button because of my training.

Mags now are around $30, I remember four years ago they were only $18.

Black Majik
07-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Congrats on the G19.

If you're looking for holsters, check out Comp-tac. Their CTAC and MTAC are well regarded. I used the infidel which is a kydex version of Milt Spark's Summer Special II, it did real well. The beltslide for Glocks is quite excellent. I'd recommend a holster which loops through your belt instead of a clip. It distributes the weight more evenly, and you won't pull the holster out with the gun. I would possibly even advise against paddle holsters as well. My paddle holsters and clip on holsters all sit in the holster drawer without a use. Browse Glocktalk's classifieds, I've regularly seen Summer Special II in tan for a very affordable price. People dump that specific holster for cheap, not sure why.

For Self Defense 9mm ammo, my personal choice has been Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p.

For magazines, buy on forum classifieds. Glocktalk, THR, SIGForum, ARFcom, out of staters dump 10 rounders for CHEAP. I bought most of my Glock mags from THR for $10 a piece from some guy in TN. He had a whole bunch from the AWB that just sat in his drawer. Deals for 10 rounders are out there.

Also prepare to be overwhelmed by accessories available to Glock pistols. Your G19 can get a complete overhaul with new trigger groups, springs, connectors, new sights, guide rods, barrels for pretty cheap. It's the legos of handguns. Most are straight drop in. Unless you plan to shoot reloads, keep the factory barrel. They're very, very accurate. Most who just say they're "combat accurate" haven't really seen what they're capable of.

Enjoy that pistol, it's a great choice.

MasterYong
07-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm just pulling your chain. For inside the waistband and outside, Galco leather works best:

Got this one for $20, WB226
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/WB226001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/WACarryrevealed.jpg

For outside, I have a "Cop Slide":
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/Galco001.jpg

I'm used to the retention button because of my training.

Mags now are around $30, I remember four years ago they were only $18.

Thanks for the pics, those are really helpful!

I knew you were just razzing me. I was half tempted to tell you that I'll have to keep the XD because the grip on the Glock are "WRONG" LOL

Actually the grip is why I got the G19. Normally Glocks just don't fit right in my hands (I have huge, meaty palms and very short, stubby fingers hahaha) but I had never even picked up a G19 until the other day. I wasn't even planning on buying a gun that day but when I picked up the G19 the words "I'll take it" just spilled out of my mouth on their own! :43:

Greg-Dawg
07-21-2009, 12:51 PM
You can always do a stippling job on both XD and Glock. A friend took his Glocks to ROBAR in AZ and they did an awesome job.