PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Cougar slide won't rack

vf111
07-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I finally took my second hand Beretta Couger 8000F in 9mm out last week and it ran fine for about 100 rounds then the slide stopped wouldn't rack. I was able to field strip it and couldn't see a problem. Once re-assembled it would rack then lock up again. I'm thinking there's something wrong w/ the rotating barrel or the locking block since the slide works fine when those two parts aren't installed. Anyone have any experience w/ this issue? I also contact Beretta about servicing and they said since I bought it used it is no longer under warranty and they would charge me $70 just to look at it (on top of the $50 in shipping to get it to them)! I'm pretty handy w/ guns so would be willing to try fixing it myself or if someone can recommend a smith in Sacramento? TIA.

vf111
11-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Resurrecting this old thread as I thought I had it fixed but had the same problem again last night. Any Beretta experts out there?

pTa
11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
The rotating barrel is fairly unique, I sold my Cougar to finance my trip west.
Mine never locked up like that... is it locking in the open position?
Where abouts do you live?

Rekrab
11-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I know with the Px4 you need a fair bit of lubricant on the barrel guide. In fact, you need a fair bit of lubricant on the Px4 period. Just an idea.

pTa
11-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I was talking to the guy that I sold mine to just now. He says it hates to be run dry. His has not jammed on him except his first outing when a range master told him he needed more oil.

Hope this helps; apparently the rotating barrel isn't the fool proof setup Beretta was hoping it'd be...

luckystrike
11-04-2009, 12:32 PM
take it to a gunsmith. im sure hes going to tell you it needs a new barrel.

xxsleepyxx
11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
LUBEEEEE

vf111
11-04-2009, 5:17 PM
It's locking closed and won't rack back. I can luckily disassemble it.