PDA

View Full Version : Su16CA first impressions

HeHateMe
05-14-2005, 3:12 PM
I took the .223 SU16CA out for the first time today. First, here are some things I've added to mine. I have an Eotech mounted, so I didn't bother with the irons. I have replaced the folding bipod with the compact foreand seen on the D model. I have a Levang Linear Compensator screwed onto the threaded 16inch barrel. For this range session I only used the stock 10rnd mags. Ammunition used was 55gr FMJ Sellier and Bellot. After 20rnds to sight in the Eotech, I moved to 100yards. Shooting was done off a bench with sandbags. Taking my time, I was able to get 3 inch groups. When I started firing a little faster I was still able to keep my rounds within the 4 inch bullseye. The rifle should shoot better with match ammo and a scope instead of the holosight. I found the trigger to be a little heavy with some creep. I fired 120rnds in this short test. There were no malfunctions of any kind. I had to adjust the Eotech for the windage at 100 yards even though I thought I had it dead on for windage at 25 yards. In summary, I am quite pleased with the KT. It is a handy light carbine with good accuracy. I especially like the size. I was also shooting my M1A and the KT was tiny compared to the M1A. Price was around $599 before tax and fees here in Kalifornia. I like the Su16 much more than my Mini-14, heck if the Su16CA were around a couple of years earlier, i wouldn't have even bought a Mini-14. I think KT has a winner, especially for those of us stuck in Kalifornia where for the longest time we were stuck with the Mini. Anyone in Sacramento looking for a SU16CA, River City Gun exchange and Guns and Gear have them in stock.

HeHateMe
05-14-2005, 3:12 PM
I took the .223 SU16CA out for the first time today. First, here are some things I've added to mine. I have an Eotech mounted, so I didn't bother with the irons. I have replaced the folding bipod with the compact foreand seen on the D model. I have a Levang Linear Compensator screwed onto the threaded 16inch barrel. For this range session I only used the stock 10rnd mags. Ammunition used was 55gr FMJ Sellier and Bellot. After 20rnds to sight in the Eotech, I moved to 100yards. Shooting was done off a bench with sandbags. Taking my time, I was able to get 3 inch groups. When I started firing a little faster I was still able to keep my rounds within the 4 inch bullseye. The rifle should shoot better with match ammo and a scope instead of the holosight. I found the trigger to be a little heavy with some creep. I fired 120rnds in this short test. There were no malfunctions of any kind. I had to adjust the Eotech for the windage at 100 yards even though I thought I had it dead on for windage at 25 yards. In summary, I am quite pleased with the KT. It is a handy light carbine with good accuracy. I especially like the size. I was also shooting my M1A and the KT was tiny compared to the M1A. Price was around $599 before tax and fees here in Kalifornia. I like the Su16 much more than my Mini-14, heck if the Su16CA were around a couple of years earlier, i wouldn't have even bought a Mini-14. I think KT has a winner, especially for those of us stuck in Kalifornia where for the longest time we were stuck with the Mini. Anyone in Sacramento looking for a SU16CA, River City Gun exchange and Guns and Gear have them in stock.

Trader Jack
05-14-2005, 7:13 PM
Su16 may be a fun gun, BUT will it last as long as a Mini 14 or Mini 30? Doubtful

HeHateMe
05-14-2005, 8:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> BUT will it last as long as a Mini 14 or Mini 30? Doubtful </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an odd comment. Do you know something about the SU16s that I don't?

C.G.
05-14-2005, 8:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The rifle should shoot better with match ammo and a scope instead of the holosight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Best results I had was with Federal Premium V-shock 40 grain Nosler Balistic Tip 1.25 MOA at 100 yards (go figure), second best Federal 69 Sierra Matchking, American Eagle 55 FMJ does good, worst was Miwall American Eagle 55 FMJ (I think factory seconds and dirty, but cheap).
How is the brake working out? I am thinking of one, because the SU-16A 18" has more recoil than my Fab-10 16".

Stevil
05-14-2005, 9:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trader Jack:
Su16 may be a fun gun, BUT will it last as long as a Mini 14 or Mini 30? Doubtful </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's a glass re-inforced Zytel polymer sucks compared to wood n' metal reference.

C.G.
05-14-2005, 9:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Su16 may be a fun gun, BUT will it last as long as a Mini 14 or Mini 30? Doubtful </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And what exactly makes you say that, do you anything to back it up? Time will tell, just as with any weapon. Note to myself: Don't use the SU as a club; don't use the SU as a club. http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think that's a glass re-inforced Zytel polymer sucks compared to wood n' metal reference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is what people used to say about fiberglass, Kevlar, Mylar, Dyneema, Aramid, Lexan, carbon fiber, titinium, alloys and many other components that replaced wood or metal. Each has its strengths and weaknesses including metal and wood.

colossians323
05-15-2005, 9:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevil:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trader Jack:
Su16 may be a fun gun, BUT will it last as long as a Mini 14 or Mini 30? Doubtful </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's a glass re-inforced Zytel polymer sucks compared to wood n' metal reference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean that you own a ar-15 with a wooden stock, and handguard?

Stevil
05-15-2005, 10:14 AM
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Huh? I think you're addressing that to the wrong person... I had a SU-16A and I'm about to get a SU-16CA, nothing wrong with Zytel in my book.

C.G.
05-15-2005, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had a SU-16A and I'm about to get a SU-16CA, nothing wrong with Zytel in my book. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your earlier post.

colossians323
05-15-2005, 7:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevil:
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Huh? I think you're addressing that to the wrong person... I had a SU-16A and I'm about to get a SU-16CA, nothing wrong with Zytel in my book. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oops,
me thinks you are right.
You'll have to forgive me, I a, just an uneducated backwoods right wing evangelical Christian gun nut.
I promise to read more carefully next time.
It seems that everyone who slams the su-16 has never shot it, nor own it. But they usually have slept at the Holiday Inn.

Leo762
05-15-2005, 8:32 PM
i saw one and it kinda tripped me out! everything was plastic - even the sight! It was insanely light - i couldnt beleive it.

My experiance with advice from inernet forums has been that if people like it, usually means its damn good - worked for when i was buying an SKS, mosins and the FAL. If that many people like it i will have to try one eventually.

bu-bye
05-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Hey thats my setup, minus the Eotech.
:checks safe:

Hey CG I have the levang Comp. You can try it out for yourself soon.

I got a lot of flak from the oldschool shooters about my glock when I first got it. I was a little worried myself at first but as the years passed and not one problem had come up, not even a FTF of any kind, I fell in love. Plastic is OK in my book. You can still find the first Gen Glocks in gun shops and the only parts that look bad from wear is the metal slide and barrel. People said Glocks would never last long.....and yet here we are http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

05-16-2005, 9:01 AM
Thanks for the report on the SU16. I'm looking for my first rifle and the two I have in mind are the SU16 and maybe the Springfield SOCOM.

Stevil
05-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Both excellent choices, get 'em both! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Truthfully I'd always been a little sceptical regarding polymer firearms, specially when it's used for construction of the receiver BUT after using, then buying a SU-16A (which I've recently sold to finance a SU-16CA) I was converted and now I'm an advocate. The SU-16 is an outstanding rifle -- and as mentioned -- it's only drawback is that you can't with confidence club someone with it. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I've shot the SOCOM quite alot and love it, if I were to purchase a 7.62 rifle with a magazine that would be the one, although I think it's a little too pricey for me to justify right now... just my .02.

C.G.
05-16-2005, 10:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey CG I have the levang Comp. You can try it out for yourself soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cool! Looking forward to it. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif