PDA

View Full Version : The real deal with CCW

Roverking
07-20-2009, 8:40 AM
I would just like to know what is the deal with CCW in LA county? Is it really a 1.5 year wait for a 2 year permit? Is it really about who you know in order to get one? There are so many wild ideas going around that it's hard to get the facts strait. Anybody ACTUALLY know what I have to do in order to have a CCW permit?

Rekrab
07-20-2009, 8:48 AM
Relevant: http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/35-applying-ccw-license-los-angeles-county.html

Sam
07-20-2009, 8:48 AM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/clownburner/OCCCWS/ca_ccw_map-big.png

Roverking
07-20-2009, 8:55 AM
Wow Thanks Sam! That's the best answer I've had. Well I guess I either have to move or not carry.

Juno05
07-20-2009, 8:19 PM
Dang, that's the 2009 update, huh? So much for living in Yolo County.

sigfan91
07-20-2009, 8:49 PM
Orange county should move one step lower since we got a new sherrif who's hostile to gun rights. She's former LA county and wants to impose her vision to Orange county.

mydogsmonkey
07-20-2009, 9:17 PM
dang i need to move ot kern or san bernadino county!

ojisan
07-20-2009, 9:18 PM
I guess this is one issue where I am fully in support of California "Going Green" as soon as possible.

Doheny
07-20-2009, 9:19 PM
Orange county should move one step lower since we got a new sherrif who's hostile to gun rights. She's former LA county and wants to impose her vision to Orange county.

That is the updated status for OC.

Rudolf the Red
07-20-2009, 9:44 PM
In Tehama County, the Sheriff cruiser doors have a cow head in a circle:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/rudolfthered/tehamaCo.jpg

Think you can get a CCW here?

:party:

You sure can!!

frankym
07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I would just like to know what is the deal with CCW in LA county? Is it really a 1.5 year wait for a 2 year permit? Is it really about who you know in order to get one? There are so many wild ideas going around that it's hard to get the facts strait. Anybody ACTUALLY know what I have to do in order to have a CCW permit?

I think the current requirements are your first born son.

MiguelS
07-21-2009, 11:49 AM
I guess this is one issue where I am fully in support of California "Going Green" as soon as possible.

Now that was funny. :43:

Lewis
07-21-2009, 12:51 PM
It looks to me like the only "requirement" in obtaining an LA CCW is........drumroll........moving to a different county :(

stix213
07-21-2009, 1:33 PM
Damn you Sonoma county! At least I can order ammo online, but still...

lawboy
07-21-2009, 2:41 PM
I live in Sacramento County. I am a regular citizen, ie., not LE, not an elected or appointed official, no friends/family in LE or government. I have a CCW issued in this county. So much for the chart. :rolleyes:

Afterburnt
07-21-2009, 2:52 PM
kidda reads like a blue county red county map

sigfan91
07-21-2009, 2:57 PM
That is the updated status for OC.

She's refusing to renew many CCW permits and "prematurely" expiring others. I can't believe that's only a "yellow" on the map.

Rob360
07-21-2009, 3:22 PM

:D ;)

Fjold
07-21-2009, 3:25 PM
I live in Sacramento County. I am a regular citizen, ie., not LE, not an elected or appointed official, no friends/family in LE or government. I have a CCW issued in this county. So much for the chart. :rolleyes:

You must have an outstanding cause, I'm betting that you didn't just put "personal protection" on your application.

Ranger20
07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Looks like a target map for air strikes. just kidding:rolleyes: Too bad I live in one of the "Dark Red Zones"

KCM222
07-22-2009, 9:37 AM
You must have an outstanding cause, I'm betting that you didn't just put "personal protection" on your application.

Shouldn't that then make Sacramento County Yellow?

Agustav
07-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Does this mean that in SB county all I need is to apply and I will be issued an CCW permit? Do I still need a good cause? Thank you!

Fjold
07-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Does this mean that in SB county all I need is to apply and I will be issued an CCW permit? Do I still need a good cause? Thank you!

I think that what it means is that San Ber county is more lenient with what the good cause reason is. In some counties "Personal Protection" by itself is good cause.

lawboy
07-22-2009, 2:24 PM

I did not write it like that, but my reason is personal protection. It it is set forth in more detail in my application.

Agustav
07-22-2009, 2:43 PM
I think that what it means is that San Ber county is more lenient with what the good cause reason is. In some counties "Personal Protection" by itself is good cause.

Will "personal protection" be a good cause in SB? How about a small business owner?

lawboy
07-22-2009, 2:47 PM
There is a method to substantiating "good cause." I suspect more of you could do so if you knew how. It is not difficult. What they are looking for are specific facts that articulate a cognizable threat to your safety that is ongoing. The idea is to state those facts in detail. By detail I mean, your application should provide the issuing authority with: 1) The source of the threat; 2) facts showing the serious nature of the threat; 3) facts showing that the threat is ongoing and not isolated in time, location, or specific persons they can deal with; 4) facts showing that the threat has the ability to harm you, this means showing that the threat is aware of you, has some motivation to harm you, has the opportunity to do so (knows who you are, where you are, can access you). If you demonstrate those facts, you have shown good cause.

Additional information that should be included in the application: Any handgun or firearms training you have received. Some information about competition experience and competition awards you have received. The names of firearms clubs/ranges you hold membership in. This information shows familiarity with firearms, training in their use, affiliation with organizations that promote safe and responsible use and can vouch for your ability and dedication to same.

In addition, women and minorities should include a COLOR photocopy of their drivers license with their applications. Why? Because, like so many other privileges in this society, white males are enjoying them at a disproportionately high rate as compared to women and minorities. By including that photograph in the application, you are putting them on notice of your minority status. Many issuing authorities across the state have been sued for discrimination in the "discretionary" issuing of permits. IF YOUR GOOD CAUSE AND CREDENTIALS ARE SOLID they will WANT to give you a permit because they will be able to bolster their statistics to defend against the accusations and lawsuits claiming discrimination. They also will not want someone who is at least as qualified as those getting permits through cronyism, to sue them.

Now, let me explain some more about how this works in the permitting process. What they are looking for is for you to provide them with the defense they will use once you shoot someone and the family, media, public are demanding to know why you had a gun. The PIO officer and the Sheriff are going to pull that permit application to get that information. What they are going to want to see is exactly what I have written above, that you were under a cognizable and ongoing threat from sources who had the will, ability and opportunity to use deadly force against you at a time of their choosing, and that the law enforcement agency issuing the permit could not provide you protection from the threat. They also will want to be able to say what a trained and known responsible gun owner and user you are. They will read it right out of the paperwork you gave them. YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM THEIR DEFENSE in the application! If when they get the application it is not information they feel they could use to respond to public criticism and a lawsuit, they will deny. Period. End of story.

It is not as difficult as it seems. Many of you are in lines of work that will provide you with justification if you write it up correctly. People working in companies that contract to provide services to prisons and prisoners who can obtain information about you. ie., they see your face, see your vehicle, can record your license plate no., can have someone on the outside look you up. Lawyers and others practicing in criminal law, family, law and civil cases brought by incarcerated persons, or by those claiming police brutality and wrongful death. Many of these individuals have violent criminal records, or are known to be affiliated with gangs, etc. Get some of those court documents, etc. and submit them as attachments to your application to make your point. This info. will both support a decision to grant your appl. and make it more difficult for them to defend a decision to deny you a permit. If you are a lawyer (or work for one), in the course of a lawsuit, these bad actors receive documents with your name, business address, state bar no., telephone and fax nos., etc. They see your face at depositions, as well as your vehicle and license plate no. They have a motivation to harm you, they are known to be violent. they can identify you, they can locate you, they can harm you. Add in a few hang up calls to your house, etc., (these things do happen), a police report regarding same ... you have good cause. There are tons of professions that you can see would provide good cause.

Note that it is not the job itself that provides good cause. Many people try to make out good cause by using things like having to drop funds in a bank drop box at night from the daily business take. That will NEVER be good enough in the tough counties. Why? Because the funds should be insured. The sheriff is never going to place himself in the position of defending giving you a gun permit to defend mere property. He can only defend it if the reason you provided to him indicates a threat to you personally, aimed at you personally, not at property.
I could write a book. Maybe I will. I have a permit, from a so-called no-permit county. When they called to "interview" me after receiving my application, they merely called my office to make sure I had actually submitted the application. It was a 15-second call and I had an authorizing letter the next day. I know my method works.

Rob360
07-22-2009, 3:27 PM
^ That is an excellent write-up. Thanks.

Fjold
07-22-2009, 4:03 PM
Very good write up there.

In addition to the excellent reasoning that lawboy contributed, if you can substantiate your status as being more vulnerable than the average person it also can be used to verify "good cause". An example could be a physical disability that makes you a more likely target or limit your ability to escape from a harmful situation or defend yourself against an attack.

mej16489
07-22-2009, 4:48 PM
I said WTH and basically did what lawboy recommends above. I consider myself an ordinary guy, and I most certainly don't have 'connections'.

In a former career path I was a sworn LEO in a different county. I disclosed as such for a very small portion of my good cause. I was initially denied, I respectfully appealed and was issued.

I've had small issues renewing a couple times...mostly people simply not knowing what todo.

lawboy
07-23-2009, 8:33 AM
Fjold makes a good point. In one of the so-called no-permit counties, One issuing agency just revised a rule that placed a limit on how small the gun/caliber could be for carry. Basically, it was conceived to prevent ultra small carry guns, ie., Saturday night specials. However, they were challenged by handicapped applicants and permit holders who argued that they could not handle/qualify with the larger guns and were being discriminated against. The agency abandoned the rule and now allows the carry of any handgun that the person can qualify with. My point: there is considerable power in being able to substantiate that the rules have a disparate impact on any protected class of persons by design.
Keep your thinking caps on people! We are on the right track here!

5shot
07-23-2009, 9:44 AM

My wife just got hers a couple months ago here in San Bernardino Co.. It's was a long process (about a year) since they only had 1 investigator doing the interviews and backgrounds. I've heard they have 2 investigators now, and the wait time is shorter.
At first my wife wrote her cause as "personal protection" because she was working in outside sales in some pretty bad areas of L.A. county.
But before she went in for her interview, she was layed off from her job. She told them that and they changed her good cause to "protection of self and family", and she still got her CCW.

RuggedRadios
07-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Now that was funny. :43:
+2
I live in San Luis Obispo Co. so all i have to do is apply for one and i should get one in a year and a half or so? im not to this stuff so be gentle:o:o

CA_SHARPSHOOTER
07-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Dang, that's the 2009 update, huh? So much for living in Yolo County.

I hear you man sucks to be us

The Annoyed Man
07-23-2009, 6:37 PM
Anybody ACTUALLY know what I have to do in order to have a CCW permit?

Yeah.... You have to be the Chief of the LAPD who could not qualify on the range, and then the Sheriff will issue you a permit.
:thumbsup:

CitaDeL
07-23-2009, 6:47 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/clownburner/OCCCWS/ca_ccw_map-big.png

Funny. I must be color blind. All I see are red counties.

(Oh that's right- I'm looking at the map through the eyes of a man that can discern true liberty from government sanctioned revokable privilege. Oops.)

Rob360
07-23-2009, 7:02 PM
Yeah.... You have to be the Chief of the LAPD who could not qualify on the range, and then the Sheriff will issue you a permit.
:thumbsup:

:p;)

drpatel77
07-23-2009, 8:57 PM
btw, i work in san bernardino county and it's pretty rough.. get problems in parking lots when get off and other things... i am thinking about getting one but what are the cost ....

renew how often and how much $$

gotgunz
07-23-2009, 9:11 PM
Funny. I must be color blind. All I see are red counties.

(Oh that's right- I'm looking at the map through the eyes of a man that can discern true liberty from government sanctioned revokable privilege. Oops.)

Give it a rest....there is nothing in the constitution (including the one floating in your head) that says specifically that you have a "right" to carry a concealed firearm on your person. Do you ***** to the DMV every 5 years when you renew your drivers license? or vehicle registration (assuming you have one or both that is)?

gotgunz
07-23-2009, 9:14 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

GoodEyeSniper
07-23-2009, 9:20 PM
Give it a rest....there is nothing in the constitution (including the one floating in your head) that says specifically that you have a "right" to carry a concealed firearm on your person.

Well he can't legally open carry around town loaded, either. And there IS something in the constitution which protects (or is supposed to protect) your right to "bear" arms.

I'm really baffled that a comment like this actually came up on CG, unless I'm missing the sarcasm somewhere. :P

Rob360
07-24-2009, 8:11 PM
Give it a rest....there is nothing in the constitution (including the one floating in your head) that says specifically that you have a "right" to carry a concealed firearm on your person. Do you ***** to the DMV every 5 years when you renew your drivers license? or vehicle registration (assuming you have one or both that is)?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCHtw6WbbnM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCHtw6WbbnM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

house
07-24-2009, 8:55 PM
not to make value judgements, but having taken the ccw class a couple of times... i hope that many of the people in the class dont get a ccw... i feel safer without them walking around with out a gun... heck last time i took a ccw class i was concerned that the instructor had a ccw...

i think everyone has a right to own a gun i just wish they only let responsible people carry them around loaded... this goes on to cover leos as well.... but i guess i am silly

Fjold
07-25-2009, 8:41 AM
btw, i work in san bernardino county and it's pretty rough.. get problems in parking lots when get off and other things... i am thinking about getting one but what are the cost ....

renew how often and how much $$

Every two years.

In Kern County the renewal is $62. I would pay a lot more without hesitation.

drpatel77
07-25-2009, 1:58 PM
i think i read somewhere it was like $250 every 2 yrs.... if that's so, it a little high for carrying for self protection...

btw, why do most ppl c ccw need to have it... is it part of work or just self protection.. b/c since i got into this guns and such, i love it but do respect it and do not wanna go too far whereby i might not be responsible even if it's accidental...

Peter W Bush
07-25-2009, 2:59 PM
i think i read somewhere it was like $250 every 2 yrs.... if that's so, it a little high for carrying for self protection...

btw, why do most ppl c ccw need to have it... is it part of work or just self protection.. b/c since i got into this guns and such, i love it but do respect it and do not wanna go too far whereby i might not be responsible even if it's accidental...

NO, that's a small price to pay to be able to legally defend yourself. Granted, it should be shall-issue and for a nominal fee, but I would pay many times that amount for a CCW in Los Angeles. Nobody NEEDS a CCW. It is our right as Americans to keep and bear arms. You dont NEED a reason other than to protect yourself and/or exercise your rights.

Fjold
07-25-2009, 6:56 PM
My first time application was $161 plus the $80 for the approved CCW class. Renewals are $62 plus th $40 CCW renewal class.

Peter W Bush
07-25-2009, 7:32 PM
My first time application was $161 plus the $80 for the approved CCW class. Renewals are $62 plus th $40 CCW renewal class.

:Ivan:

gotgunz
07-25-2009, 9:05 PM
Your correct, it doesn't. It is in the Bill of Rights (hint - check out the second amendment).

I've read it; it says, and I quote:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Where again does it say "concealed"? If I bear my soul to somebody that means I am allowing them to "see" inside.

If I "bear" my *** to the world that doesn't mean I am concealing that part of my body.

Bear; ......

12. to carry; bring: to bear gifts.
18. to exhibit; show: to bear a resemblance.

I believe, as I suspect everybody on the forum does, in the the 2nd but nowhere does it say that it means to conceal. As much as I like Nugent, that is his interpretation of the 2nd. It is not written to be conveyed as concealed in my opinion.

Peter W Bush
07-26-2009, 11:08 AM

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Where again does it say "concealed"? If I bear my soul to somebody that means I am allowing them to "see" inside.

If I "bear" my *** to the world that doesn't mean I am concealing that part of my body.

Bear; ......

I believe, as I suspect everybody on the forum does, in the the 2nd but nowhere does it say that it means to conceal. As much as I like Nugent, that is his interpretation of the 2nd. It is not written to be conveyed as concealed in my opinion.

From the Supreme Court decision in Washington DC vs Heller-

"the operative clause of the Second Amendment—"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"—is controlling and refers to a pre-existing right of individuals to possess and carry personal weapons for self-defense and intrinsically for defense against tyranny, based on the bare meaning of the words, the usage of "the people" elsewhere in the Constitution, and historical materials on the clause's original public meaning."

It's not just Ted Nugents interpretation. That is what the Second Amendment is. It IS the right to keep and conceal a loaded firearm on my person for self defense. I'm honestly surprised that there is even an argument about this on Calguns. On CALGUNS. It looks like some people here have lived their lives as sheep, happy with what little gun rights Commissars Boxer and Feinstein grant them. I, for one, am NOT happy. I want my removable-magazine semi-automatic AR-15. I want 30 round magazines in that AR. I want to legally carry any handgun of my liking concealed on my person. The Second Amendment DOES give me this right despite what you, the brady bunch, and the Ministry of the People's Republic of Kalifornia THINK it means. Ted Nugent hit it on the spot. Neither you nor hilary will tell me how I can and cannot defend myself.

gotgunz
07-26-2009, 1:33 PM
From the Supreme Court decision in Washington DC vs Heller-

"the operative clause of the Second Amendment—"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"—is controlling and refers to a pre-existing right of individuals to possess and carry personal weapons for self-defense and intrinsically for defense against tyranny, based on the bare meaning of the words, the usage of "the people" elsewhere in the Constitution, and historical materials on the clause's original public meaning."

It's not just Ted Nugents interpretation. That is what the Second Amendment is. It IS the right to keep and conceal a loaded firearm on my person for self defense. I'm honestly surprised that there is even an argument about this on Calguns. On CALGUNS. It looks like some people here have lived their lives as sheep, happy with what little gun rights Commissars Boxer and Feinstein grant them. I, for one, am NOT happy. I want my removable-magazine semi-automatic AR-15. I want 30 round magazines in that AR. I want to legally carry any handgun of my liking concealed on my person. The Second Amendment DOES give me this right despite what you, the brady bunch, and the Ministry of the People's Republic of Kalifornia THINK it means. Ted Nugent hit it on the spot. Neither you nor hilary will tell me how I can and cannot defend myself.

A couple of points.....

1. In your quoted section from the Heller decision it does not say concealed!

2. I too am not happy with the stupid laws that the idiot leaders of this state have enacted that disallow myself and you to not have the removable 30 round mags in the AR. And the ability to carry anything I want rather than what is listed on my ccw only.

3. Don't compare me with the Brady Bunch, Boxer, Feinstein or any of the other idiots that seem to keep winning re-election from the sheeple of this state. I am merely pointing out a very clear fact of both the 2nd and Heller.

buffybuster
07-26-2009, 1:53 PM
not to make value judgements, but having taken the ccw class a couple of times... i hope that many of the people in the class dont get a ccw... i feel safer without them walking around with out a gun... heck last time i took a ccw class i was concerned that the instructor had a ccw...

i think everyone has a right to own a gun i just wish they only let responsible people carry them around loaded... this goes on to cover leos as well.... but i guess i am silly

(Response to your statement in bold) With regard to non-felon, unsupervised adults, Who determines the "responsible" versus the "not responsible"?

The 2nd Amendment provides the "right to keep and bear arms" to all citizens.

gotgunz
07-26-2009, 2:40 PM
The second amendment simply says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Using the above logic, open carry isn't specifically listed, so maybe that's not a constitutionally guaranteed right then either. Which leaves us with no open or concealed carrying, meaning no right to bear arms which is clearly not what the founding fathers were going for.

What's so hard to understand about the "shall not be infringed" part?

Actually exposed carry is clearly stated as "to bear"; what is so hard to understand about this?

Don't misinterpret what I am saying; I carry concealed daily. I am a firm believer in the 2nd and I know what "shall not be infringed" means.

Having said that I can tell you that after sitting through countless ccw courses my opinion is that there are many law abiding citizens that probably should not have a gun let alone carry one.

YMMV

Spearo
07-26-2009, 4:47 PM
I have a question...

Say I own property in a CCW friendly county. However, I mostly live here on my other property in LA county. Can I get a CCW issued in the CCW friendly county, and use it here in LA county?
Basically, is a CCW issued in one county only good for that county... or is it good for all of California?

Fjold
07-26-2009, 5:21 PM
I have a question...

Say I own property in a CCW friendly county. However, I mostly live here on my other property in LA county. Can I get a CCW issued in the CCW friendly county, and use it here in LA county?
Basically, is a CCW issued in one county only good for that county... or is it good for all of California?

You would have to establish residency in the other county.

A CCW issued in any county in CA is good state wide.

Spearo
07-26-2009, 5:27 PM
You would have to establish residency in the other county.

A CCW issued in any county in CA is good state wide.

Since that other property is in my name, and I pay taxes on it... does that not constitute residency?
Where I live in LA county is not in my name.
So would that make my primary residence the other property?

nativeofsandiego
07-26-2009, 6:08 PM
I am about to start the process for my CCW in San Diego. I have no connections and no outstanding reasons to be approved but I know that if I am not, I will sue the county for infringing upon my 2nd Amendment rights. Which I would expect every member on this forum to do if denied... How many people have been personally denied from a CCW in CA?

Doheny
07-26-2009, 6:11 PM
Since that other property is in my name, and I pay taxes on it... does that not constitute residency?

A residence is where you live. Depending on the issuing agency, they may send investigators out to see that you do live there, knock on your door, knock on your neighbors, etc.

Fjold
07-26-2009, 6:48 PM

The sheriff will want proof that you live there. Are your vehicles registered to that address, do you get your mail there, registered to vote in that rsidence, is it your primary residence? etc.

I had to put my residence address on my CCW application and sign that everything was true.

wildog8812
07-26-2009, 7:30 PM

Bear; ......

By your logic then, where does it say that I can't conceal my right to bear arms? It just says I have the right, not how I have to do it. A responsible gun owner would conceal it not walk around with it waving it in the air.

Hayashi Killian
07-26-2009, 11:11 PM
I am about to start the process for my CCW in San Diego. I have no connections and no outstanding reasons to be approved but I know that if I am not, I will sue the county for infringing upon my 2nd Amendment rights. Which I would expect every member on this forum to do if denied... How many people have been personally denied from a CCW in CA?

Good luck.

No, really. You will need it.

Since issuance of CCWs is 'may' rather than 'shall', your suit will have about as much weight as a tissue-paper dragon.

gotgunz
07-26-2009, 11:30 PM
By your logic then, where does it say that I can't conceal my right to bear arms? It just says I have the right, not how I have to do it. A responsible gun owner would conceal it not walk around with it waving it in the air.

Excellent point!

Doheny
07-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I had to put my residence address on my CCW application and sign that everything was true.

Yup, like he said...and don't forget:

Penal Code Section 12051 – Applications for CCW Licenses; False Statements
(b) Any person who files an application required by subdivision (a) knowing that statements contained therein are false is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Z ME FLY
07-27-2009, 6:07 AM

you are going to sue because you can't get a ccw?

good luck I guess you got the money for a lawsuit