PDA

View Full Version : "Tipping" for PPT's

MarioS
07-20-2009, 12:50 AM
I always want to tip gun stores when they handle an in-store PPT for me since they only make a small profit on each, but in the interest of keeping things the "cleanest" legally, especially with stores I have never dealt with before, I figured I would start bringing them some nice cookies or refreshments instead. Do any of you do this? What is something tasteful, fun, and classy I could bring as a "tip" instead of putting cash in their pocket? I would offer beer since I know some guys would like that but tipping with alcohol doesn't seem the cleanest either. :)

brassburnz
07-20-2009, 1:11 AM
Sometimes I give movie tickets (Costco), a box of Krispy Kremes, gift certificates to fast food places, big bags of candy around Halloween. It just depends how I feel. I don't always bring stuff when I pick up my PPT, but I do often enough for people to remember.

I tried giving the guys at Turners some stuff one time, but they said they couldn't take it. Company rules. Oh well.

mike452
07-20-2009, 1:43 AM
Don't you start Tipping!

Just don't want to get ignored because you are there. :rolleyes:

halifax
07-20-2009, 4:58 AM
I would not expect any tips. However, I have received several bottles of wine and a couple of very fine cigars. :)

It's a little embarassing (not sure why) but I haven't refused them.

norcal-ar
07-20-2009, 5:29 AM
at the very least i buy something with every PPT ive done.

B Strong
07-20-2009, 5:53 AM
I always want to tip gun stores when they handle an in-store PPT for me since they only make a small profit on each, but in the interest of keeping things the "cleanest" legally, especially with stores I have never dealt with before, I figured I would start bringing them some nice cookies or refreshments instead. Do any of you do this? What is something tasteful, fun, and classy I could bring as a "tip" instead of putting cash in their pocket? I would offer beer since I know some guys would like that but tipping with alcohol doesn't seem the cleanest either. :)

It's a great iodea.

I give out Christmas "Bonuses" to businesses that treat me right as a customer. The universal green gift certificate makes people happy.

Two outfits on my list are gun related.

Jerkdog
07-20-2009, 7:16 AM

Me too, if the guys are cool about the transfer. Even if it's just some cleaning supplies or targets or something.

RedDawn
07-20-2009, 10:03 AM
+1 to buying something from the FFL's store.

SCMA-1
07-20-2009, 10:10 AM
If they are courteous and perform the service without drama, then they will continue to get my business in the future. I don't feel sorry for dealers nowadays; they are charging huge margins for everything else so there's no reason to tip them for one service.

SCMA-1

Aircraftman
07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Same here, if I was treated well, I always will buy a few boxes of ammo for the gun I just picked up (that is IF they have any in stock :mad: )

MarioS
07-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I usually try to buy one or two items from the store if the PPT went well. I also use PPT's to get a feel for how that business/store operates and how they take care of business; mostly if I have never dealt with that store before. If it's good, I will be back for sure. I guess that is praise enough for a store...getting return business. I just figure a little tip up-front would show my appreciation also since it's slightly menial work for them; although some stores still manage to screw them up somehow.

I'm just not sure what kind of refreshments or gifts to choose. :)

j1133s
07-20-2009, 12:33 PM

It's never even occured to me. I know in TX an FFL dealer transfer costs me $5 (individual, who I trust) or $15 (at a store that I trust); note in TX, PPT can be done w/o an FFL. So, to me, $35 for PPT isn't that cheap. (Maybe if I live in CA a bit longer, it'll eventually feel cheap, but not yet for me.)

If you think they deserve a little something extra, then maybe give the guy some ammo? That's always useful.

jyo
07-20-2009, 2:11 PM
Interesting idea or (sub-title) how the rich stay rich. My wife is pro musician and must often rely on valet parking at very high class clubs to get the best load-in for her equipment. She and her piano player were waiting for their cars after a gig at a really exclusive private "rich guys club" and talking about how much they should tip the valet when a guy with all the money in the world overheard them and in a very snippy tone told them "Never tip the valets, once you get them started on that they will expect to be tipped for everything." Well, my feeling is that tipping people just for doing their jobs can get out of hand, however certain jobs like servers in restaurants should be tipped because of their very low pay they basically live by tips. People working in gun stores should have negotiated a reasonable hourly pay rate and don't require tips. Knowing that stores don't really make any money on PPTs, I try to buy items there such as holsters and other things I need at the store. If you took the state cap off of PPTs the stores would be charging $150 per in an eyeblink! Now having said the above, when I managed gun stores in the 80s and 90s, it was somewhat common for our more well-off customers to bring us things from time to time---like the guy who owned several McDonalds who also owned a farm used to bring us produce. Keep in mind, we performed many services for him like tracking down certain guns in the old pre internet days. Being friendly with your gun store guys is always a good idea.

Snake eyes
07-20-2009, 2:48 PM
Tipping at a gun shop, with the prices they charge. It's bad enough getting bent over the counter and violated, I'm not gonna by them dinner as well.

If I like a shop I give them my continued business and reccommend them to others.

Jonathan Doe
07-20-2009, 3:02 PM
I always try to give them something, nothing extra ordinary, but something to show them my appreciation. Most employees and managers of gunshops I frequent are like my friends. I don't mind giving my friends something.

evidens83
07-20-2009, 4:28 PM

Me as well. Buy some cleaning supplies or ammo if there is any.

hawk81
07-20-2009, 4:29 PM
I will not tip. We shouldn't have to go through a dealer for a PPt to begin with.

cortayack
07-20-2009, 4:42 PM
I won't tipp either...Its part of the business to do PPTs, plus it brings new customers into their shops....Its their job to keep them! But I do buy something while in the store, when doing a PPT. I know the store doesn't make really any money off of PPT, so I give them some business for their services...

Mr. Beretta
07-20-2009, 4:45 PM
I always give a Tip!

Stay outta bars & brush your teeth!

Dangerous1
07-20-2009, 4:46 PM
Very few shops deserve extra imho. They're making a good living off of us and I'm poor. Why should I tip someone that makes more money than I do? :p

All kidding aside, the intelligent shops will gladly to PPT's for their customers because
1. It's a form of revenue.
2. It makes them look good.
3. It makes customers happy.
4. And a happy customer is a repeat customer.

If they can't think that far ahead, well, maybe that's the tip I'd give them.

Khram
07-20-2009, 8:10 PM
If they are courteous and perform the service without drama, then they will continue to get my business in the future. I don't feel sorry for dealers nowadays; they are charging huge margins for everything else so there's no reason to tip them for one service.

SCMA-1

Agreed but if PPT goes w/o me getting attitude, ect., I will purchase something and give them repeat business and reccomend the shop to others.

I once brought a gunshop doughnuts and a Christmas card though due to excellent service (non PPT related) by all but one of the staff (he ended up getting fired for incompetence) and one of the employees was almost brought to tears! I thought he wanted to adopt me!

We have a very good working relationship based on trust though even though I'm not one of their most "baller" customers I do a good amount of business with them. I once returned an overpayment on a consignment of over $600 to this shop!:eek:

norcal-ar
07-20-2009, 8:44 PM
because my Local FFL didnt give me **** about ppt's i bought one of my pistol through him although i could have drove another 15 min and got it for $40 cheaper.