View Full Version : Transporting a handgun on a motorcycle

09-26-2005, 2:39 PM
Does anyone know what is the law regarding transporting a handgun on a motorcycle? I know how it sould be done in a car, but what if I only have a motorcycle?

09-26-2005, 4:52 PM
It doesn't matter what kind of vehicle it is. The law is very simple. A concealable firearm must be unloaded and in a locked containerPERIOD

The law specifies NOTHING in the penal code about being in a trunk, or out of reach.

The only way it mentions the trunk is that the trunk can be used AS a locked container.

Anonymous Coward
09-26-2005, 6:26 PM
Yes, the law is simple, but hard to apply to motorcycles. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For example:
- it says "the firearm is WITHIN the vehicle". What does that mean on a MC there's nothing that encloses you like a cars body.
- it says "in a locked container IN the vehicle other than the UTILITY compartment". Does a MC trunk or saddle bags count as a utility compartment. Again what defines "IN"?
- Does a locked container carried in a backpack (where most riders carry stuff) count as concealed carry on the person? I guess it would if you walked around in the city.

You could say that the spirit of the law is to transport the firearm in a way that it makes it hard to get to. Then having it in a locked container in the saddle bag or rear seat bag is probably OK, but tank bag and back pack is getting more risky.

09-26-2005, 6:38 PM
Thank you all, you opinion is much appreciated.

Mark in Eureka
09-27-2005, 10:32 PM
That was the orginal reason I was granted a CCW. There was no where on the motorcycle that I could put a firearm and keep it more that a hands reach away from the ammo.

On a bike with two locked chests, I think if you kept the firearm in one locked container, and the ammo in the other you should be ok. For weapons that are not on my CCW, I lock them in a bank deposit bag. (You can get them at Staples) You could even have a key at home and the other key at your destination so that you would not have access to the weapon durring the trip. This might be important in some areas.

On the other hand, get a CCW and then you do not have to worry about it. I never carry on my person when I am riding. I worry to much about: 1) falling on it, or 2) losing it on the road.

09-28-2005, 6:43 PM
I bought my first and only car in 1999, but beginning in 1985 I rode only motorcycles or bicycles. Here's what I did to transport rifles and pistols to the range.
Pistol - put the unloaded pistol in a locking case and lock the case. Put the case in your back pack. You wouldn't want it falling out of a saddlebag or tank bag. Put your ammo and magazines in a saddlebag or tank bag.
Rifle - put the unloaded rifle in a locking soft case with a shoulder strap. Hang the shoulder strap over your shoulder like the young guys ride with courier bags today, with the rifle sitting on your back. Put your ammo and magazines in a saddlebag or tank bag.