PDA

View Full Version : A sad little 1911

SeanCasey
07-19-2009, 7:55 PM
First a picture:
http://www.caseyamerica.com/guns/img031.jpg

Pretty sad looking isn't it? :(

Ok now the background:
It is an old GI take home that my friends father bought at a swapmeet (when you could actually do it legally). It was pretty beatup then and it was thrown into storage. It was recently taken out and was covered in rust so he spent a bunch of time working on it to get the rust off. Still some areas where you see pitting. He took it to the range to see if it worked and it would not cycle. So they tore it down and I went with my friend to the Del Mar show to get a punch of 1911 parts. While there he picked up some 10rnd mags and a compensator (seen in picture).

So we spent the rest of the afternoon changing out a bunch of internal parts and putitng it back together. Since the gun was in such sour looking shape we thought it would be funny to put the compensator on and pop in a 10rnd mag. The picture really doesn't show just how "ghetto" this sad little 1911 looked. Of course we removed those pieces after the picture. Anyhow, thought I'd share since my friend and I got a good laugh at it.

Army GI
07-19-2009, 7:59 PM
Oh my goodness. Please don't tell me that's a pre-A1 1911. I literally feel tears welling up in my eyes:(

hybridatsun350
07-19-2009, 8:03 PM
Please don't tell me that's a pre-A1 1911. I literally feel tears welling up in my eyes:(

Sure looks like it, doesn't it? :o

locosway
07-19-2009, 8:03 PM
It is, it's a M1911, you can tell because there are no scallops around the trigger guard. Same as mine, I have a 1918 M1911 that is about 70% condition.

SeanCasey
07-19-2009, 8:04 PM
Army GI:
Hard to tell, much of the rust took the markings away. You can make out "Colt" and "US Government Property", but not much else. Interesting restoration project though.

Acorn556
07-19-2009, 8:04 PM
I think you just ruined a really valuable gun.

Saigon1965
07-19-2009, 8:05 PM
Either way - The piece has history now - Clean her up some more and enjoy -

Army GI
It is, it's a M1911, you can tell because there are no scallops around the trigger guard. Same as mine, I have a 1918 M1911 that is about 70% condition.

Thanks man;)

Army GI:
Hard to tell, much of the rust took the markings away. You can make out "Colt" and "US Government Property", but not much else. Interesting restoration project though.

That's how I personally tell the difference, the "US. Army" rollmark on the M1911 models are on the right side on the slide whereas the A1 has it on the frame.

Yes, that'll be quite a nice gun once it's restored. Where are you sending it to get the work done? DGR guns does a pretty decent job of reparkerizing WWII guns.

Wait a second man, he said he bought it at a swap meet. It was already rusty when he bought it. The compensator looks like it's just the kind that's attached to the barrel bushing. That can be removed like a regular bushing and replaced with an original quite easily. And the mag, well it's just a mag that too can be taken out.

I just hope that the reason the pistol looks all shiny like that is because it has no more parkerizing on it. If that is a chrome plated finish, then he's kinda screwed because it's near impossible to take that off.

locosway

Anything under 60% is a good candidate for restoration. Anything over that mark you would probably not want to touch.

That's the only reason I haven't restored mine into a good shooter, it has a lot of sentimental value as well as collectors worth. Hell, I even have the leather GI issued holster too.

SeanCasey
07-19-2009, 8:07 PM
I would say before my friends father started on this project the gun would rate about a 35-40%. It looks much worse than the pictures show.

locosway
07-19-2009, 8:09 PM
I would say before my friends father started on this project the gun would rate about a 35-40%. It looks much worse than the pictures show.

You can clean it up and get it refinished. You can turn it into a real shooter if you want to put the time into it.

SeanCasey
07-19-2009, 8:19 PM
Hmmm intersting. I just spoke with my friend and he indicated that he can make out a M1911A1 marking on the gun.

locosway
07-19-2009, 8:20 PM
Hmmm intersting. I just spoke with my friend and he indicated that he can make out a M1911A1 marking on the gun.

Maybe the slide is a later 1911A1, but the lower frame is a 1911. A lot of 1911's were put together from parts for various reasons.

g17owner
07-19-2009, 8:35 PM
The slide is pre WW2 and the frame is original M1911. Without better pics its hard to tell. Your best bet is to feed it standard ball and have it reparked or duracoated and make it a shooter. Any original value is gone so just make it a shooter and be happy.

Mr. Beretta
07-19-2009, 8:45 PM
Does it fire ? :confused:

SeanCasey
07-19-2009, 8:48 PM
No clue yet. We replaced a bunch of parts, but we have to wait for his father to take it out to the range for to find out if we fixed it. It dry fires ok, so it looks good so far. I might go shooting with my friend tuesday and if I do maybe we'll see about bring this along. I'll also bring a camera other than my cell phone as well to get better pics.

His father does plan on making it a regular shooter.

leelaw
07-19-2009, 8:56 PM
That pistol is begging to be restored...

locosway
07-19-2009, 8:56 PM
If you reparker it will eventually be worth something in say 20 years or with wear. Right now you can't go wrong because it's in such bad shape. Enjoy shooting a piece of history, I know I do...

evidens83
07-19-2009, 8:58 PM
How much did you get it for if you dont mind me asking? If it was practically given away, I'd probably invest time and money into it as well. Colt 1911s are sweet!

SeanCasey
07-20-2009, 9:31 AM
evidens83:
Not mine. My friends father's gun. When he bought it my friend and I were not even born yet. It sat around for awhile and is now getting restored.

It will be nice to see it get turned into a shooter and brought back to life. Actually this makes me want to find some rusted up gun to restore now...