PDA

View Full Version : M&P Legal?

Acorn556
07-19-2009, 7:20 PM
I have an M&P without the magazine safety or the internal lock. Is this legal in California? I searched the list online and it said it wasn't but I didn't think they had all versions up. I would really like to shoot it since it's 40 and ammo is easy to find right now.

CSDGuy
07-19-2009, 7:39 PM
The "list" only applies to pistols sold out of a Dealer's inventory. If you acquired the pistol out of state initially, or via PPT, it's fine. I highly doubt that your M&P is an AW...

Acorn556
07-19-2009, 7:59 PM
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

This list doesn't have my gun on it so I didn't bring it with me. Thought it had to be on this list to be legal in California. Otherwise everyone would have a friend buy them a gun and transfer it in.

ke6guj
07-19-2009, 8:01 PM
As long as the handgun is not otherwise banned because it is an AW, SBR, etc, it is legal in CA. It is legal, even if it isn't on the Roster of not unsafe handguns. There is no law that says that a handgun you own/possess be on the Roster.

Acorn556
07-19-2009, 8:03 PM
Well shoot....Here I am thinking it had to be on that list to be approved....what a relief!!!

It's just too bad I used that as an excuse to buy my 1911...now all I see at the store is 40 caliber Federal ammo. Thanks for the clarity guys.

CSDGuy
07-19-2009, 8:08 PM
Did you acquire it out of state and move here? If so, and the M&P isn't an Assault Weapon by feature, just make sure you fill out the new resident form to register it and it's legal. That list ONLY applies to sales out of dealer inventory. Generally speaking, if you purchase that M&P from someone who is NOT a California Resident, it will have to go through a dealer who will be required to process it as if it's a sale out of inventory... the list applies. If you move here with it, the only list that I know of that applies is the Assault Weapon list...