PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Arms Kaliforniastan legal V-15 - pic!

shooterx10
02-22-2005, 11:26 AM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/256680.jpg

Fresh from Vulcan Arms' tech department! Thank you!

Geez, that finish looks like it was spray painted, or shall I turn up the contrast on my monitor?

Well, at least it looks like a REAL AR-15 lower than that emasculated mutant of an AR-15, the FAB-10. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

The model number is V15-202 and price is $165 for each receiver. I remember way back when the FAB-10 was that price. That was before Shoeless Ventures took over.

Does the mag look pinned or welded?

Can someone please call, email, or fax and ask?

shooterx10
02-22-2005, 11:26 AM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/256680.jpg

Fresh from Vulcan Arms' tech department! Thank you!

Geez, that finish looks like it was spray painted, or shall I turn up the contrast on my monitor?

Well, at least it looks like a REAL AR-15 lower than that emasculated mutant of an AR-15, the FAB-10. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

The model number is V15-202 and price is $165 for each receiver. I remember way back when the FAB-10 was that price. That was before Shoeless Ventures took over.

Does the mag look pinned or welded?

Can someone please call, email, or fax and ask?

endings1@aol.com
02-22-2005, 12:01 PM
cool, will they make a 10 round "30 rounder" version?

.45shooter
02-22-2005, 12:02 PM
I sent an email and I will update when i hear back from them.

maxicon
02-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I cranked the gamma way up on that photo and it doesn't look welded from this side, unless someone did a very neat and precise job of it.

Technical Ted
02-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Yoiks. That finish does look pretty sloppy. It isn't exactly a photo for marketing purposes. Probably a quick and dirty snap shot taken to appease all the potential customers bombarding them with requests for an image. Some of the shiny spots could just be oil stains from assembly and handling. Sure isn't pretty.

Personally I don't like the matching finish on the magazine. Looks more like a blue USA 20 round mag. It'd be much cooler looking if the mag were finished the same medium gray as OEM/USGI magazines.

schizrade
02-22-2005, 1:24 PM
Uhhh, that looks like crap. I like the magazine idea, but the whole thing looks like crap.

shooterx10
02-22-2005, 1:50 PM
Well, at the gun show at Solano this past weekend, I got to take a look at rifle from Vulcan and it did not look like crap, like the one in the pic. It was parkerized grayish-black. I did not get a chance to crack open the two uppers to take a look, but I'm kicking myself for not having the forethought. I should have taken a pic of it with my camera phone. But with the dealer's permission, of course. http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

From my observation, it looks like your run of the mill AR-15 rifle with a 20 round mag EXCEPT when you hit the mag release button. The mag button looks like it's drilled and/or staked (not glued) into place and does not budge. I wiggled the mag to see if the fit is loose and it is not. This could be the mag release (bar) has been pulled closer into the receiver and very tightly engages the mag notch.

It was dressed up with a stainless fluted barrel with a Tacpoint (Japanese copy of the Aimpoint), A3 upper, Knight RAIS-like forearm and a Versapod (or Harris) bipod. Talk about eye candy from a distance! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PRKNative, since you were there at the show as well, what were your observations of the rifle?

If anyone is nearby, here is the address of the dealer:

Robert Anderson
NEWTOWN ENTERPRISES
4180 FORT JIM RD
PLACERVILLE, CA 95667
(530) 644-6684

BTW, he was the only dealer at the show selling DS Arms FAL rifles.

endings1@aol.com
02-22-2005, 2:03 PM
That magazine doesn't look right, but I've seen PWA(early 90's) AR lowers fresh from the factory that had that oily black finish all over them. They clean up real nice.

.45shooter
02-22-2005, 2:25 PM
here is what I got back from them

1. From a Mil-spec 7075T6-511 aluminum alloy forging, hardcoat anodized as per current mil spec
2. All standard AR-15 type parts fit
3. 10 round magazine is permanently pinned into place (a lot of guys will ask "can I remove it" the only answer to this question is "according to California Department of Justice it is permanently attached, you may be able to remove it with a milling machine" The lower includes the 10 round magazine and fixed mag catch
4. It weighs the exact same as a standard lower (about 8 oz.) plus magazine weight (4 oz)
5. RETAIL price of stripped receiver is $239 (you have it on the NEW price sheet)
6. They are ready to ship
7. Black only
8. To reload you push the rear pin out, rotate the upper on the front pin and load the shells from the top.
9. We sell all of our V15 type firearms in a CA legal configuration. The price is whatever the price sheet says PLUS $165. and they are only available in the FORGED version. For instance, if a dealer wanted a V15-100F in CA legal configuration, it would cost $571 PLUS $165 = $736
10. All the other aspects of the rifle remain unchanged (ie. collapsible stock, flash hider, etc.)
11.Each rifle includes a copy of the CA DOJ letter

endings1@aol.com
02-22-2005, 2:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by .45shooter:
here is what I got back from them

11.Each rifle includes a copy of the CA DOJ letter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on the new model and the DOJ letter. Would it be fair to say that completing a 80% AR lower with open mag well and pinned 10 rd. mag be legal?

bwiese
02-22-2005, 3:22 PM
Stanze...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Based on the new model and the DOJ letter would it be fair to say that completing a 80% AR lower with open mag well and pinned 10 rd. mag be legal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just for sanity's sake I'd be leery of it AND REQUEST DOJ PERMISSION FIRST.

The problem is, if you didn't do this in right sequence you have an AR15 lower in your hot little hands before the mag is permanently attached!

Remember two things:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Vulcan/Hesse did these OUT OF STATE and is now importing them into CA. These started out as standard AR lowers and were then mangled into California variant. They can work with these lowers all they want outside CA in AW form beforehand since there's no state law prohibiting them.

<LI> CA folks cannot start with an AR lower and "go backwards" unless they have an AW permit like Evan's (EGSW). So their lower has to have the permanent mag work done FIRST.

<LI> Be careful and get a good description of what counts as 'permanent'. What is good for Type III rifles like FAL clones may be different for Kasler/Roberti-Roos style weapons like ARs and there may need to be much more 'distance' in terms of how fixed things are, welds vs pinning, etc. btwn the orig banned AW receiver and the one you hope to be legal.
[/list]

Frankly why are you doing this? You are NOT going to save money. Just get a FAB10 lower.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose

endings1@aol.com
02-22-2005, 3:26 PM
Why would I do this? The same question was asked to a friend of mine traveling in AZ with his Glock in "open carry" by a girl at the McDonald's line he was in("Why do you have a gun on your belt?").

Because I CAN!http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (Once, I'm certain of DOJ approval of coursehttp://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

bwiese
02-22-2005, 3:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stanze:
Why would I do this? ... Because I CAN!http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (Once, I'm certain of DOJ approval of coursehttp://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, good enough. I guess it's like "why did you climb the mountain?" And the reply is "'Cause it's there!"

Bill

endings1@aol.com
02-22-2005, 3:36 PM
I figure with my buddies fledgling garage machine shop(waiting on a milling machine), we can make our own CA legal lowers, learn something and save a few bucks on the parts kits.

I'd have no problem making them to FAB-10 specs, but if turns out open/pinned is ok with DOJ, why not?

fastmanusa
02-22-2005, 4:27 PM
Fab 10s suck look like crap and are over priced.

bwiese
02-22-2005, 4:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fastmanusa:
Fab 10s suck look like crap and are overpriced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On an AR the upper does most of the work. The FAB10's looking like crap does not affect functionality (other than its lack of hicap mag, which ain't their fault)

With a good trigger group like a Chip McCormick, along w/a quality upper you can have a _very_ accurate and fun to shoot rifle.

There's really no other option (yet) for Californians who couldn't (or weren't smart enough) to get an AR before the ban set in in 2000.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Dr. EBR
02-22-2005, 4:57 PM
I can't see the left side. Does it have a space to install a bolt catch?

NorCalGuy
02-22-2005, 5:06 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone answer these 3 questions?

1. Few different prices quoted here for a stripped lower's cost. Does anyone know what it will cost to order one from Vulcan (will they sell directly to your FFL transfer guy or only to certain dealers)?

2. What's do you think the Vulcan lower-only quality is like compared to shoeless's Fab-10

3. Would anyone here buy a complete Vulcan rifle?

Rascal
02-22-2005, 5:11 PM
The Fab10 is overpriced because it was the only alternative at the time. You can rest assured that the priceWILL go down, if they want to stay in business. Competition has a way of doing this.
I would be very suprised if the FAB10 folks didn't come up with their own version of the 20 round to 10 round mag fix reciever, seeing that one of the main complaints was that it didn't look right without the mag protruding from the bottom of the magwell. For many years they were the only supplier and could do pretty much what ever they wanted to. They didn't have to improve on anything, but now that there is going to be competition, they need to start working for their money, or they will go out of business.

02-22-2005, 5:20 PM
Before you guys go plunking down your cash, you better do some research into Hesse/Vulcan. Hesse has one of the worst names in the firearms industry, that's why they changed their name to Vulcan.

BUYER BEWARE!!!

bwiese
02-22-2005, 5:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NorCalGuy:
2. What's do you think the Vulcan lower-only quality is like compared to shoeless's Fab-10?

3. Would anyone here buy a complete Vulcan rifle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd lean toward FAB10 lower simply because they've been in biz for awhile and many of us know of reputation Vulcan's predecessor company, Hesse Arms - so I would NOT buy a complete Vulcan rifle.

[That said, I wouldn't buy a complete AR rifle from ASA, Model 1 Sales, or Sherluk either.]

If you're buying/building your first AR (even if it's a 'California AR') I strongly encourage you to NOT try to save money esp on the upper. Buy upper from Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt, or Rock River Arms. I'd also give good grades to J&T Distributing though they don't always offer chrome-lined barrels - but they do have a good rep for service and customer satisfaction.

Pay the extra $ and get a chrome-lined barrel with a milspec 5.56 chamber (not a 'match chamber' or a "223 Wylde" chamber, etc.) for overall feed+extraction reliability. And follow the military tech manuals for lubrication (many folks run ARs way too dry or use wrong lube, leading to function problems.... the bolt + carrier & bolt lugs should start out kinda 'wet' with BreakFree CLP.

For the lower parts kit (fire control parts etc) I'd recommend one from Bushmaster, Armalite or Rock River Arms.

And download off the web (or buy it printed at a gunshow) the US Tech manual for the M16. And read it http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bill Wiese
San Jose

xsquid
02-22-2005, 6:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
If you're buying/building your first AR (even if it's a 'California AR') I strongly encourage you to NOT try to save money esp on the upper. Buy upper from Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt, or Rock River Arms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt, Yes - No to Rock River Arms. I once bought an A3 upper from them that was so out of spec that an ARMS Swan sleeve wouldn't even begin to go on. They may have improved their QC since then, but I ain't gonna take a chance, especially with the other suppliers still around.

Anonymous Coward
02-22-2005, 8:34 PM
Couldn't you build a receiver (from 80%) with some sort of a hinged magazine that you can swing open to load with a stripper clip? The SKS for example is considered a fixed magazine rifle (although with the SKS the magazine cannot be loaded itself with clips).

If the opinion of the DOJ is that fixed mag ARs are not type 1 AWs then this rifle should be OK too.

Well, in reality this rifle would be much would be much more usable than the FAB10 styles and I don't think DOJ likes that ;-)

This would also benefit the FAL, because you can fit longer scopes and don't have to worry about it interfering with the loading.

tleary
02-24-2005, 7:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shooterx10:
Well, at the gun show at Solano this past weekend, I got to take a look at rifle from Vulcan and it did not look like crap, like the one in the pic. It was parkerized grayish-black. I did not get a chance to crack open the two uppers to take a look, but I'm kicking myself for not having the forethought. I should have taken a pic of it with my camera phone. But with the dealer's permission, of course. http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

From my observation, it looks like your run of the mill AR-15 rifle with a 20 round mag EXCEPT when you hit the mag release button. The mag button looks like it's drilled and/or staked (not glued) into place and does not budge. I wiggled the mag to see if the fit is loose and it is not. This could be the mag release (bar) has been pulled closer into the receiver and very tightly engages the mag notch.

It was dressed up with a stainless fluted barrel with a Tacpoint (Japanese copy of the Aimpoint), A3 upper, Knight RAIS-like forearm and a Versapod (or Harris) bipod. Talk about eye candy from a distance! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PRKNative, since you were there at the show as well, what were your observations of the rifle?

If anyone is nearby, here is the address of the dealer:

Robert Anderson
NEWTOWN ENTERPRISES
4180 FORT JIM RD
PLACERVILLE, CA 95667
(530) 644-6684

BTW, he was the only dealer at the show selling DS Arms FAL rifles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Posted February 24, 2005 07:52 AM
Like you said Shooterx10 it was definitly eye candy! Here are my obs. The receiver finish was nice, definitely better than the pic shown on this thread. The only thing was that the Mag did not match the receiver. It looked to be blued rather than parkerized. The upper was made of a carbon aramid (carbon fiber/plastic) I asked the Dealer if they could get the fix 10rd in a 30rd mag body, but they said no. I also asked him whether or not Vulcan was going to sell the Receiver by itself, and his reply was that they were not.