PDA

View Full Version : Who here managed to get a CCW license?

patriot_man
07-19-2009, 3:56 PM
I know it is hard to get CCW license in California but I was actually wondering the number of people that have CCW licenses.

leitung
07-19-2009, 3:59 PM
totally depends on your county you live in..

If you live in the bay area, sacramento county, or LA county FORGET IT..

some on the rural ones, you have a better chance.. Someone will post the map for you that shows how easy it is depending on your county.

Mike's Custom
07-19-2009, 4:10 PM
It depends on where you live. Since you didn't list where you live it is hard to say.

gotgunz
07-19-2009, 4:12 PM
NO PROBLEM!

Fjold
07-19-2009, 4:32 PM
In 2007 there were a little over 40,000 CCWs in California.

El Gato
07-19-2009, 4:37 PM
over 4,000 in Kern alone

QuarterBoreGunner
07-19-2009, 4:52 PM
If you live in the bay area, sacramento county, or LA county FORGET IT..Not true. Difficult perhaps, but not impossible.

Quiet
07-19-2009, 4:58 PM
Someone will post the map for you that shows how easy it is depending on your county.

Here you go.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/clownburner/OCCCWS/ca_ccw_map-big.png

QuarterBoreGunner
07-19-2009, 5:08 PM
That map is misleading, and incorrect.

cedew
07-19-2009, 5:15 PM
I'm sure it's just a generalization, so you can get an idea of how freely they're given out, not to be taken literally.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-19-2009, 5:17 PM
I know... still bugs me.

weezil_boi
07-19-2009, 5:19 PM
The portion of that map that indicates the disposition of Sacramento county is 100% accurate.

cedew
07-19-2009, 5:20 PM
I know... still bugs me.Right, because it might deter someone from trying. Responsible folks should try regardless of the known outcome.

RolinThundr
07-19-2009, 5:22 PM
For those areas where it is nearly impossible for average citizens, what key components need to be hit on in the application, i.e. what do you say you need it for even if it is just for the intended purpose- self-protection?

If you apply and are declined, do you receive written notice?

If you received a written decline, how many of you are holding onto the letter to file a lawsuit, or have your family file a lawsuit, if you are injured or killed in circumstances in which you could have survived if you had been issued a permit?

gemini1
07-19-2009, 5:23 PM
Did you guys got yours (ccw permits) valid State wide or just within your county?

Fjold
07-19-2009, 5:38 PM
Permits issued are valid State wide.
Here are the number of permits by County in 2007

EDIT: These are the total number of valid permits in the County in 2007 not the ones granted that year.

Alameda ................195
Alpine.....................16
Amador..................739
Butte..................1,772
Calaveras...............572
Colusa ..................131
Contra Costa..........183
Del Norte ...............159
El Dorado .............1,206
Fresno.................2,727
Glenn.....................262
Humboldt .............1,031
Imperial..................332
Inyo.......................211
Kern.....................4,118
Kings.......................301
Lake........................291
Lassen.....................273
Los Angeles............1,237
Madera..................1,087
Marin........................55
Mariposa..................371
Mendocino.............1,403
Merced....................599
Modoc.....................231
Mono........................69
Monterey.................106
Napa.......................478
Nevada....................443
Orange..................1,467
Placer...................1,070
Plumas.....................403
Riverside..................734
Sacramento..............525
San Benito.................16
San Bernardino.......2,469
San Diego...............1,479
San Francisco...............6
San Joaquin...............514
San Luis Obispo..........387
San Mateo................205
Santa Barbara............163
Santa Clara...............170
Santa Cruz.................37
Shasta..................2,306
Sierra......................105
Siskiyou...................338
Solano.....................147
Sonoma....................139
Stanislaus.................628
Sutter......................673
Tehama....................740
Trinity......................356
Tulare....................2,495
Tuolumne ..................797
Ventura....................688
Yolo.........................244
Yuba........................397

speedjunkie
07-19-2009, 5:45 PM
I would suggest checking out: www.calccw.com

If you're interested in getting a CA CCW, they will even point you in the right direction. :)

lordvader27
07-19-2009, 5:48 PM
Me, my brother and my cousin are 3 in monterey county, which I think is down to 85 or so not 106.
chris

Hayashi Killian
07-19-2009, 5:51 PM
Wow, SD's got that many successful applicants in that year? That's impressive, I must say.

cedew makes a good point. I'll certainly apply for one when I get the capability to do so. I imagine it'll be for a lark, since I doubt my reasons (self-defense) aren't good enough in SD county.

If you apply and are declined, do you receive written notice?
If you received a written decline, how many of you are holding onto the letter to file a lawsuit, or have your family file a lawsuit, if you are injured or killed in circumstances in which you could have survived if you had been issued a permit?

Yes, you receive a letter from the sheriff or chief stating that you're declined and why. Gene Hoffman wrote a letter back (with the help of a lawyer) and was declined again.

I seriously doubt you would even get your suit approved by a judge. The law in it's current inception offers no guaranteed provisions for a person to get a CCW, we are in what's called a "discretionary-issue" state. That is, it's up to each sheriff/chief to determine whether or not you get a CCW. AB357, currently up for review, will opt to change that to a "shall-issue", meaning that as long as you are not prohibited you will be issued one. Likewise, trying to sue the county over whether or not you having a CCW could have saved your life is probably not going to work either.

JBird33
07-19-2009, 7:14 PM
The map is accurate for my county.

MarioS
07-19-2009, 9:23 PM
It is very difficult around these parts...and it's a shame when LE and politicians combined no longer trust law-abiding citizens to protect themselves with firearms.

So a theoretical question...if you lived in a county for a few years that issued very openly, and then moved to a county that did not issue at all to regular citizens, could you still retain that CCW or would you have to "re-apply" or "re-register" it with your new county of residence?

berto
07-19-2009, 9:59 PM
So a theoretical question...if you lived in a county for a few years that issued very openly, and then moved to a county that did not issue at all to regular citizens, could you still retain that CCW or would you have to "re-apply" or "re-register" it with your new county of residence?

Reapply in the new county in most if not all instances.

MarioS
07-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Reapply in the new county in most if not all instances.

Got it, thanks. That kind of stinks.

Hayashi Killian
07-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Unless the CCW had expired, I don't see why you'd have to re-register. Even then, you just should be able to renew it. Each county has their own fee/process for renewals to the best of my knowledge.

You should find out who manages the CCW permits in your new place of residence and find out if you can renew if you were a holder in a different county, chances are they'll let you apply for a renewal.

Doheny
07-20-2009, 12:59 AM
That map is misleading, and incorrect.

...and subject to change like the wind. Just ask the people in Orange County.

thefurball
07-20-2009, 6:23 AM
I currently hold or have held permits in Nevada, Utah, Florida, Washington and the territory of Guam.

I tried Sacto county.

I was told flat out they would not issue me one. The nice desk seargent told me (after looking over his shoulder a couple of times) that the reason they would not issue was that if I shot someone they might get sued.

"Serve and Protect"? How about "Cover our own Assets and the Citizen be Damned."

Cjones38
07-20-2009, 6:50 AM
I was also told that if you pay the fee to apply and get rejected the fee $$$ is gone. Any truth to this?

EBR Works
07-20-2009, 6:59 AM
I applied with Ventura county in December '08. I was told it would be less than a year. No contact from them yet......:whistling:

stich
07-20-2009, 7:26 AM
No problem for me in Amador Co, and also hold Fl and will be going Fri to NV to get that one. My wife just completed here course for her CCW and will be getting hers soon also.

ERdept
07-20-2009, 7:41 AM
My friend got one when he lived in the OC, but that was with the former Sherrif.

He was a realtor and said he showed properties at unsafe areas,i.e. He showed apartments to people when he got off regular work at night, in Santa Ana.

His carry was a Glock 17. Remember, that was with the former Sherrif.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-20-2009, 7:41 AM
I was also told that if you pay the fee to apply and get rejected the fee $$$ is gone. Any truth to this?

I've found this to be true in pretty much every county I'm aware of - it's a (very unofficial) way of discouraging people from applying, sort of "Sure you can apply, but it'll cost you $400 filing fee and we'll still say no."

Case in point: City of Mountain View. I applied there in the mid 90's and was told that there was a filing fee for the application paperwork of $275, plus I had to have a psychiatric evaluation by THEIR doctor out of MY pocket AND get carry an insurance policy that basically waived the city of any liability if I ever discharged my weapon.

Needless to say I didn't bother.

Black Majik
07-20-2009, 7:46 AM
...and subject to change like the wind. Just ask the people in Orange County.

Sheriff Hutchens -> :boxing_smiley: <- Residents of Orange County

Henry47
07-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I've found this to be true in pretty much every county I'm aware of - it's a (very unofficial) way of discouraging people from applying, sort of "Sure you can apply, but it'll cost you $400 filing fee and we'll still say no."

Case in point: City of Mountain View. I applied there in the mid 90's and was told that there was a filing fee for the application paperwork of $275, plus I had to have a psychiatric evaluation by THEIR doctor out of MY pocket AND get carry an insurance policy that basically waived the city of any liability if I ever discharged my weapon.

what kind of insurance company would cover that?

QuarterBoreGunner
07-20-2009, 10:56 AM
I have no idea. After the part about the psych exam by their doctor, I pretty much faded out. Absolute nonsense.

Fjold
07-20-2009, 11:05 AM
It is very difficult around these parts...and it's a shame when LE and politicians combined no longer trust law-abiding citizens to protect themselves with firearms.

(2) When the licensee changes his or her address, the license shall be amended to reflect the new address and a new license shall be issued pursuant to paragraph (3).
(3) If the licensing authority amends the license, a new license shall be issued to the licensee reflecting the amendments.
(4)(A) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in writing within 10 days of any change in the licensee's place of residence.
(B) If the license is one to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, then it may not be revoked solely because the licensee changes his or her place of residence to another county if the licensee has not breached any conditions or restrictions set forth in the license or has not fallen into a prohibited class described in Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code. However, any license issued pursuant to subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) shall expire 90 days after the licensee moves from the county of issuance if the licensee's place of residence was the basis for issuance of the license.

Fjold
07-20-2009, 11:06 AM

These are the only fees that they can legally charge, now.

12054. (a) Each applicant for a new license or for the renewal of a license shall pay at the time of filing his or her application a fee determined by the Department of Justice not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice for the direct costs of furnishing the report required by Section 12052. After the department establishes fees sufficient to reimburse the department for processing costs, fees charged shall increase at a rate not to exceed the legislatively approved annual cost-of-living adjustments for the department's budget. The officer receiving the application and the fee shall transmit the fee, with the fingerprints if required, to the Department of Justice. The licensing authority of any city, city and county, or county may charge an additional fee, in an amount equal to the actual costs for processing the application for a new license, excluding fingerprint and training costs, but in no case to exceed one hundred dollars ($100), and shall transmit the additional fee, if any, to the city, city and county, or county treasury. The first 20 percent of this additional local fee may be collected upon filing of the initial application. The balance of the fee shall be collected only upon issuance of the license.
The licensing authority may charge an additional fee, not to exceed twenty-five dollars ($25), for processing the application for a license renewal, and shall transmit an additional fee, if any, to the city, city and county, or county treasury. These local fees may be increased at a rate not to exceed any increase in the California Consumer Price Index as compiled and reported by the California Department of Industrial Relations.
(b) In the case of an amended license pursuant to subdivision (f) of Section 12050, the licensing authority of any city, city and county, or county may charge a fee, not to exceed ten dollars ($10), except that the fee may be increased at a rate not to exceed any increase in the California Consumer Price Index as compiled and reported by the California Department of Industrial Relations, for processing the amended license and shall transmit the fee to the city, city and county, or county treasury.
(c) If psychological testing on the initial application is required by the licensing authority, the license applicant shall be referred to a licensed psychologist used by the licensing authority for the psychological testing of its own employees. The applicant may be charged for the actual cost of the testing in an amount not to exceed one hundred fifty dollars ($150). Additional psychological testing of an applicant seeking license renewal shall be required only if there is compelling evidence to indicate that a test is necessary. The cost to the applicant for this additional testing shall not exceed one hundred fifty dollars ($150).
(d) Except as authorized pursuant to subdivisions (a), (b), and (c), no requirement, charge, assessment, fee, or condition that requires the payment of any additional funds by the applicant may be imposed by any licensing authority as a condition of the application for a license.

rtlltj
07-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Me, my brother and my cousin are 3 in monterey county, which I think is down to 85 or so not 106.
chris

You must have had a very good reason. I'd like to know the sheriffs stance on CCW who plans on running against the incumbent. If you dont mind me asking are all of your permits based on your type of employment or just personal.

cvgunright
07-20-2009, 3:56 PM

san diego has 2 interviews. the first one determines need. No fees. If they determine you don't have need then the process stops there.

If you pass that interview you pretty much can get your CCW. you have to take the class, pay the fees, pass the background, and wait.

in san diego you pretty much need to own your own business to get the ccw.

employees will need to get the owner/boss to send a letter stating need.

my friend, has a ccw, owns a diamond/jewelery store and wrote a letter for one of his employees to get his ccw.

I own my own store/business and am now just waiting for my ccw.

Fjold
07-20-2009, 5:05 PM
san diego has 2 interviews. the first one determines need. No fees. If they determine you don't have need then the process stops there.

If you pass that interview you pretty much can get your CCW. you have to take the class, pay the fees, pass the background, and wait.

Kern County is that way also but not interviews, just written declarations. You don't pay anything until after they rule that your reason is valid.

EBR Works
07-20-2009, 5:32 PM
...and I just got the call today for my interview with Ventura. I'll post the results.

Midian
07-20-2009, 5:53 PM
...and I just got the call for my interview today with Ventura. I'll post the results.

I'd be interested to see how that goes, as I live in Ventura as well.

I'm aghast I have to word a "good cause" to defend myself.

lordvader27
07-20-2009, 8:07 PM
You must have had a very good reason. I'd like to know the sheriffs stance on CCW who plans on running against the incumbent. If you dont mind me asking are all of your permits based on your type of employment or just personal.

We all have them because of are business, we have had some major theft late at night, in isolated areas of the county.

Rudolf the Red
07-20-2009, 9:17 PM
San Francisco...............6

Out of hundreds of thousands of people. What a joke.

I live in Tehama County, adjacent to Shasta County. It's so easy to get a CCW here that I am not in a hurry. I know when I go out that multiple others are already armed. I do want one for my travels to Sacramento and the Bay Area. The 9 hours training I need is being offered next week. I may go.

Blademan21
07-20-2009, 9:19 PM
Unless the CCW had expired, I don't see why you'd have to re-register. Even then, you just should be able to renew it. Each county has their own fee/process for renewals to the best of my knowledge.

You should find out who manages the CCW permits in your new place of residence and find out if you can renew if you were a holder in a different county, chances are they'll let you apply for a renewal.

I believe you are a little wrong in your post. One has 90 days after moving to another city/county to apply in that city/county. One may or may not be able to renew or even apply for a new CCW. All depends on the city/county. For example,do not expect to move from Kern County to San Francisco and assume your CCW to be valid after 90 days.

Hayashi Killian
07-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Right, I forgot about that. But that's only after 90 days. Within those 90 days you don't need to worry about anything. It doesn't automatically go "poof" when you move out.

Lewis
07-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I applied in Tulare County (as close to Shall Issue as we seem to get in California...next to Humbolt and possibly Kern) in May and was approved 3-4 weeks later.

During the application process I asked the clerk how long It would be before I receive feedback - she indicated 4 to 6 months.

I was obviously surprised when they contacted me a few weeks later informing me of my approval. When I went to pick up my permit I inquired about the quick turnaround. The clerk told me that they were getting "really good" at processing permits due to the magnitude of new applications.

Good work Tulare County!

Ivanhoe
07-21-2009, 12:47 PM
yep - one of the few things the county does right here. And I am very happy to call it home. Except when it's 110 deg out.

LesGrossman41510
07-21-2009, 12:54 PM
wow san francisco only 6, how pathetic im almost ashamed i was born there.

im moving to mendocino.

Variable2147
07-21-2009, 3:27 PM
what about people that live in two different parts of the state?

say i have a vacation home in shasta county or a hunting cabin in trinity county, but most of the year i live and work in santa clara county?

can i get a ccw in trinity/shasta and just use it year round?

GuyW
07-21-2009, 3:33 PM

say i have a vacation home in shasta county or a hunting cabin in trinity county, but most of the year i live and work in santa clara county?

Its up to the County Sheriff - but don't count on it....

GoodEyeSniper
07-21-2009, 3:53 PM
I wish people were more specific in these threads. You always hear "Oh, that's totally wrong, it was super easy for me to get my CCW in LA!" and leave it at that...

Oh, you forgot to mention your brother is the sheriff, and you own a Jewelry store?

When I think "easy to get a CCW" I think "Joe Schmo who works at Best Buy, and lives in an Apartment can easily get one." Whereas plenty of people will respond that it's super easy, only to find out they have a business that rakes in thousands of dollars a day that needs to get to the bank.

Greg-Dawg
07-21-2009, 4:12 PM
Got one and love it.

Variable2147
07-21-2009, 4:16 PM
Its up to the County Sheriff - but don't count on it....

Which county sheriff is it up to if you live in two different counties?

lordvader27
07-21-2009, 4:26 PM

Once you get it in 1 county it is good thru out the state, I got my in monterey county, but it is good any where in califoriana, except goverment buildings.
chris

cvgunright
07-21-2009, 4:30 PM

for san diego it was my permanent residence or whatever address my drivers license has on it.

So even if you have a vacation home in shasta or trinity county, you will have to make that your permanent residence, have that as your drivers license and go from there.

Fjold
07-21-2009, 4:34 PM

I think that you would have to prove that you are a resident of the county that you are applying in.

12050. (a)(1)(A) The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:
(i) A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(ii) Where the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(B) The chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying is a resident of that city, and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:

Blademan21
07-21-2009, 4:50 PM
Listen to Frank ^^^^. his advise is right on.

Desert_Rat
07-21-2009, 7:15 PM
I wish people were more specific in these threads. You always hear "Oh, that's totally wrong, it was super easy for me to get my CCW in LA!" and leave it at that...

Oh, you forgot to mention your brother is the sheriff, and you own a Jewelry store?

When I think "easy to get a CCW" I think "Joe Schmo who works at Best Buy, and lives in an Apartment can easily get one." Whereas plenty of people will respond that it's super easy, only to find out they have a business that rakes in thousands of dollars a day that needs to get to the bank.

It might be partly like the way you see it,but I think it's more like,someones good cause is theirs and theirs alone.and most people really don't want to discuss it.It took am less than 5 weeks to get mine.It all has to do with good cause.and poliotics of the county you're in

dan12580
07-21-2009, 7:31 PM
i think its awesome that the 6 or so that have have ccw in sf are probobly bodyguards or security for the liberals that make it hard on the rest of us. also- i beleive that either boxer or fienstein has a ccw. i remember the local radio guy making a big deal about it a couple months ago. ccws are 1 of the 2 perks to living in kern county.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-21-2009, 7:44 PM
Yeah me and the other 5 guys used to get together and go bowling...then I moved to San Mateo County.

AirtechJr
07-21-2009, 7:57 PM
Took about two months. We have a great sheriff that understands the positives of ccw's.

flatovercrest
07-21-2009, 8:08 PM
You guys are beating a dead horse..

dan12580
07-21-2009, 8:23 PM
this bored (as well as any other board that is over 6 months old) would be pretty bare if you/me/others diddnt rehash topics from time to time. its garnerd a lot of post. i think ive heard it said that there is nothing new under the sun.

theneko
07-22-2009, 4:21 AM

FYI - in my county they say you must notify them in 10 days if you move out of the county. I presumed it's so they could cancel it (or set it to cancel when it next expired) since I would no longer be a resident. But I don't know since I haven't moved... :)

Hayashi Killian
07-22-2009, 4:26 AM
I already followed up on that with another post. But no, the CCW must match the address on your driver's license/state ID. So if one changes, both must change.

Fjold
07-22-2009, 6:55 AM
I already followed up on that with another post. But no, the CCW must match the address on your driver's license/state ID. So if one changes, both must change.

I can't find that in CA PC 12050 - 12054

Ten Rounder
07-22-2009, 7:25 AM
(2) When the licensee changes his or her address, the license shall be amended to reflect the new address and a new license shall be issued pursuant to paragraph (3).
(3) If the licensing authority amends the license, a new license shall be issued to the licensee reflecting the amendments.
(4)(A) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in writing within 10 days of any change in the licensee's place of residence.
(B) If the license is one to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, then it may not be revoked solely because the licensee changes his or her place of residence to another county if the licensee has not breached any conditions or restrictions set forth in the license or has not fallen into a prohibited class described in Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code. However, any license issued pursuant to subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) shall expire 90 days after the licensee moves from the county of issuance if the licensee's place of residence was the basis for issuance of the license.

I sort of follow this, but I want to move from a Green county to Red one and still keep mine, how do I force this.

Henry47
07-22-2009, 8:47 AM
Yeah me and the other 5 guys used to get together and go bowling...then I moved to San Mateo County.

i believe you told the backstory once about how you got your ccw in SF, correct? If not, I'd be interested to hear it if you don't mind. did you apply for a ccw in san mateo county after you moved?

QuarterBoreGunner
07-22-2009, 11:21 AM
It's a long story, but my CCW is issued through the Santa Clara County Sheriff's department, but was transferred to SF County and then to San Mateo County; I still re-qual through Santa Clara SO's though.

Gregchico
07-22-2009, 1:27 PM
Come to Butte County, the Sheriff hands them out on the street corners.....

Fjold
07-22-2009, 2:13 PM
Come to Butte County, the Sheriff hands them out on the street corners.....

No one beats Kern County! These are 2007 numbers but they've granted a lot of permits this year.

CA counties with >1,000 CCW permits:

Butte..................1,772
El Dorado .............1,206
Fresno.................2,727
Humboldt .............1,031
Kern.....................4,118
Los Angeles............1,237
Madera..................1,087
Mendocino.............1,403
Orange..................1,467
Placer...................1,070
San Bernardino.......2,469
San Diego...............1,479
Shasta..................2,306
Tulare....................2,495

sportsman
07-22-2009, 2:38 PM
have a question live in sanjose but have a place in pioneer amador county could i get one with two residence

QuarterBoreGunner
07-22-2009, 2:44 PM
Do you get mail at the Amador County resi?

sportsman
07-22-2009, 3:46 PM
I get my mail in a po box

stich
07-22-2009, 3:46 PM
have a question live in sanjose but have a place in pioneer amador county could i get one with two residence

I live here in Amador county and the Sheriff is gun friendly. I got mine and my wife just passed the test to get hers. If I were you, I'd find a way to get an address change to here and show a utility bill with that address on it. Even your CDL. Then take the course and apply here.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-22-2009, 3:52 PM
^That sounds reasonable and prudent. Each issuing agency is a little different in their requirements.

sportsman
07-22-2009, 4:22 PM
sounds great where do i apply

Electricboy
07-22-2009, 4:26 PM
mine should be here on saturday

anthonyca
07-22-2009, 4:53 PM
It's a long story, but my CCW is issued through the Santa Clara County Sheriff's department, but was transferred to SF County and then to San Mateo County; I still re-qual through Santa Clara SO's though.

Does that mean you and DI-FI were once 2 of the 6?

Do you have a link to your story? That is very intersting. You are a rare bird.:)

QuarterBoreGunner
07-22-2009, 7:38 PM
It's a long and unsavory tale, and is not the approved method for applying. You REALLY don't want to use my method.

Short version: For most of the '90s I managed the former National Shooting Club (now Reed's Indoor Range) in Santa Clara. We were also the Class III/NFA licensed dealer for local LE departments. I applied for a CCW through the Santa Clara Sheriffs Office. sometime in the mid '90s I think.
I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting it.

I worked closely with local and federal law enforcement
I managed a gunstore
My dad was a deputy sheriff with Santa Clara for 32 years
Here's the big one: I regularly transported NFA select fire weapons in my personal vehicle.
And I'm all round good guy.

They turned me down flat.
Said my 'good cause' wasn't good *enough*. Which indicated to me that they were never going to issue CCWs to anybody for any legitimate reason.

Then one day, in 1999, we had an 'incident' at the range where a very stupid and angry young man tried a take over robbery of the store; shots fired, he got off a whole bunch of wild rounds, I cranked off four rounds. Two solid hits, two misses, he stumbles about 60 feet and decides he doesn't want to play anymore and lies down to die. Which, as it turns out, he does not.

After that, the Sheriff decided, that yeah, maybe issuing me a CCW was a good idea.

So you see, my CCW application process was extraordinary and suggested not to be repeated.

HondaMasterTech
07-22-2009, 7:52 PM
You'd have to be stupid to rob a place witha bunch of armed people around.

CitaDeL
07-22-2009, 8:29 PM
You'd have to be stupid to rob a place witha bunch of armed people around.

Yeah, I keep telling people that- but TPTB keep telling us to wait...

Back on topic; Yes, I was issued a licence to carry concealed. There are places to live in California where it is possible to obtain an LTC, however, there is a subtle exchange where a soveriegn enlists as a subject- The only real difference between non-issuing counties and issuing counties is the degree of tyranny that people are willing to tolerate.

AbinSur
08-19-2009, 4:58 PM
I think John Anderson does a good job in Madera. My wife got her permit recently with no problems. The staff was courteous and professional, they called her during the permit process to let her know how it was going and generally just seem to be down to earth folks. When I hear how the SO in other counties treat CCW applicants, it makes me appreciate our Sheriff, even in this hell hole of a town.

Pryde
08-19-2009, 5:06 PM
I met a guy once who had a genuine LA county CCW.

His dad was a former high ranking Deputy Sheriff and a personal associate of Lee Baca. I guess what they say is true.....

HUTCH 7.62
08-19-2009, 5:32 PM
had one when i lived in shasta county. until i moved to the bay Area at least.

LexLuther
08-19-2009, 7:44 PM
Got mine, thank goodness. Maybe you guys that cant get one should elect a new sheriff. You could also start demonstrating with the open carry guys. I would love to go out with them on one of their outings.
http://www.opencarry.org/ Check out some of the open carry videos on youtube...

MrBrent
08-19-2009, 9:04 PM
Got mine recently in San Bernadino county using person protection as good cause. The SBSD is a great group and very professional. If you live in San Bernadino county apply!!:43:

Hogxtz
08-20-2009, 8:11 AM
I recently got my permit but the map is not accurate for El Dorado county. Recently a Captian in the Sheriff's office has been turning down new applications and even renewals because "personal protection" is not enough now. He also inspects your weapon, and requires you to get 3 letters from people stating that you are of good moral character.

epic4444
08-20-2009, 8:31 AM
had one when i lived in redding but lost it the second i moved the the bay area

epic4444
08-20-2009, 8:32 AM
I recently got my permit but the map is not accurate for El Dorado county. Recently a Captian in the Sheriff's office has been turning down new applications and even renewals because "personal protection" is not enough now. He also inspects your weapon, and requires you to get 3 letters from people stating that you are of good moral character.

hahaha even bad people can find three people who have something good to say about them..what a joke of a requirement

HestonFan
09-25-2009, 6:10 AM
I read an old post where a lady got her CCW in San Joaquin county just by going through a process. Is that highly unusual these days or can law abiding citizens wanting to be able to protect themselves get one by going through the process.