PDA

View Full Version : Leave before I do?

Khram
07-19-2009, 3:39 PM
1st off, I don't want this to turn in to a locked cop bashing thread so lets not, okay? I am going to omit some details in an attempt to prevent this such as what PD.

I was recently driving a neighbors vehicle home for him after dropping him off somewhere, he had a ride home. It is not especially "gangsta" but it does have 22" rims and a fairly loud system.

At about 11:30pm on a Mon on back I was pulled over about a half a mile or so from a neighborhood that is not so good and a rival of the gang in the area where my friends car is registered. I wonder if the officer just typed in the plate number and figured something was up like a drive by?

Anyways officer claimed I was speeding and playing stereo too loud. It wasn't all that loud and at time I was pulled over I was trying to figure out how to make it even lower,lol. Dang kids and their ipods! maybe he didn't like the choice of music, it was rap.

Well anyways I'm in my early 30's and don't give off too much of a gangster vibe, limited non visible tats, non shaved head, beard. I look more Arab or when in motorcycle gear, like a different type of scumbag,haha!

Anyways I pulled over, turned off car, turned on overhead light. Was asked if I knew why I was stopped, I said no. I assumed because it looked like I was texting or trying to use a cell phone though. I was attempting to mess with the iPod.

After explaining why registration and insurance did not match license which he accepted, officer ran my DL. He came back and said if a warning would do? I said yes and then he said "leave before I do" after handing back my DL!

Was he basically running me out of town?:eek: Or was it some sort of safety reason? I didn't like his tone but as he let me off I just let it go. I have a feeling he was profiling or just trolling though on a slow night. I guess I am just pessimistic but I have a feeling I wasn't speeding or playing the radio all that loud to begin with or I would have been issued a ticket.

ivanimal
07-19-2009, 3:44 PM
I think he was trying to tell you that he had your back. Thats what I see.

Fire in the Hole
07-19-2009, 3:53 PM
Khram wrote: "Was he basically running me out of town? Or was it some sort of safety reason? I didn't like his tone but as he let me off I just let it go. I have a feeling he was profiling or just trolling though on a slow night. I guess I am just pessimistic but I have a feeling I wasn't speeding or playing the radio all that loud to begin with or I would have been issued a ticket."

Since none of us were there, there is no way to accurately answer this question. We could guess of course, but that serves no useful purpose, and ultimately just leads to arguments over speculations.

Khram
07-19-2009, 3:56 PM
Well non argumentative theories from LEO's/ex LEOs would be useful. Wondering if any of them have said similar things and for what reasons.

Khram
07-19-2009, 3:57 PM
I think he was trying to tell you that he had your back. Thats what I see.

I hope you were correct!

alex00
07-19-2009, 4:18 PM
Many reasons to tell you to leave before he does. Maybe he wanted you to have the safety of his lightbar warning motorist you would be merging. Maybe he wanted to catch up on his log, and didn't want you think you were detained any longer. Maybe it was a fast stretch of road and he wanted to get up to speed before pulling back into traffic. Plenty of reasons to tell you to leave before he did. I seriously doubt he was running you out of town.:shrug:

bohoki
07-19-2009, 6:39 PM
he wanted you to pull out before he did that is all he wasnt ordering you out of the area

yzernie
07-19-2009, 7:09 PM
I'll throw this out there....a "sorta" gangsta lookin ride. When he runs the plate he finds it comes back registered to a 'rival hood'. Would it have been reasonable for him to believe that vehicle in that area was out of the ordinary? Possibly, just possibly you were doing 1 mile over the limit and if the stereo "wasn't that loud" maybe it was still a violation of the law. Maybe that is why he stopped you and when he found out you weren't there to shoot up the hood he cut you loose. I know...speculation at its best but certainly a plausable "theory". :D

nick
07-19-2009, 7:37 PM
I might be thinking too much into this, but you've indicated that the car was registered in the "rival hood", and it could look enough like a gangster car. If that's the case, he might've been doing you a favor by ensuring that you leave the place unmolested by the locals.

Even without the above, that might've still been the case. I wouldn't be too comfortable if I were stopped at a neighborhood that sports its own gang, and would rather leave while the officer was still there.

How's that for a speculation?

Jonathan Doe
07-19-2009, 7:43 PM
Many reasons to tell you to leave before he does. Maybe he wanted you to have the safety of his lightbar warning motorist you would be merging. Maybe he wanted to catch up on his log, and didn't want you think you were detained any longer. Maybe it was a fast stretch of road and he wanted to get up to speed before pulling back into traffic. Plenty of reasons to tell you to leave before he did. I seriously doubt he was running you out of town.:shrug:

I always placed my car off the line from the car I stopped for the protection for both the driver and myself. Always let the driver leave first, because my car gives the driver the protection from the traffic.

Ron-Solo
07-19-2009, 8:34 PM
Regarding the stereo volume, if it can be heard 50 ft from your car, it's a violation.

I usually always wait for the motorist to leave first, for a variety of reasons. If he was 'running you out of town' he would have said something like 'don't be seen hanging out in this area' You would definitely know.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-19-2009, 9:56 PM
Speculation, but I always wanted stopped subjects to leave first so that my car protected their return into traffic. In this case, sounds like the officer didn't want you to be there uncovered/unprotected after he left the scene.

oldironpants
07-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Speculation, but I always wanted stopped subjects to leave first so that my car protected their return into traffic. In this case, sounds like the officer didn't want you to be there uncovered/unprotected after he left the scene.I'll second that. It's called, "special relationship." Once I've detained you on a stop, I can be held responsible for you even after the action has technically ended because I caused you to be where you are at if you were to get rear-ended or such.

In addition, I don't care to pass closely by someone after an enforcement action for MY safety as well. You might be the nicest person in the world, but I have no way of knowing that. I'll let you get underway safely, then I'll proceed.

socaldsal
07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Bad area? Check.

No problems found and warning issued? Check.

"Leave before I do" = "You're in a bad neighborhood, go about your business, quickly."