PDA

View Full Version : hunting boar

StrangeBrew
05-08-2005, 1:44 PM
Hello, i am interested in hunting wild pig here in California but i have never been hunting, or know much about it. I was wondering if someone here could explain the steps involved in getting a hunting licence and finding a legal place to hunt boar.

I will be picking up my K-31 from big 5 soon and that will probably be the gun ill use, my friend is going to bring my remington 7600 scoped rifle. I was also wondering if it is ok to bring a side arm while hunting. If we do ever get a huntign license we will probably be hunting this summer.

Thanks.

C.G.
05-08-2005, 7:26 PM
You will need to take the Hunting Safety Course before you can get your license, after that it is easy, just pay your money. You can carry a sidearm, but some parks do not allow them, check policy before you go.

RRangel
05-08-2005, 10:10 PM
You need to take the California Hunter Education Course. Once you complete that you can buy a license and pig tags. There are various locations that you can take the test. Click the DFG link below to find out.

If you have a previous hunting license from out of state you may be able to by pass the California Hunter Education Course and just buy a license.

Check with the California Department of Fish and Game.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/

delloro
05-09-2005, 7:26 AM
you will need to decide where you will hunt, and how much you are willing to pay.

there are pigs on public land, but they are few and far beyween. those who know where they are are keeping their yaps shut.

if you want a real chance to actually see and kill a wild pig, you will have to hunt in the general area between paso robles and red bluff, on private land. you will pay $450 to $800 for a weekend guided hunt. there aren't any places with lots of good pigs that let John Q. Public on the land to shoot.

you will need to use soft point ammo to hunt. where will you get it? Grafs has it, and Hornady is good, as is Prvi Partizan.

the only places where there are pigs that you can do an unguided hunt are Tejon Ranch (south of bakersfield) and fort hunter liggett. Tejon costs some hundreds (about $300 or less), and has a fair amount of pigs, maybe you'll get one, maybe not. FHL has less pigs and is tougher terrain and parts will be closed for training and no handguns allowed (IIRC) but it is cheap.

HTH.

edited to change "private" to "public"

Technical Ted
05-09-2005, 8:38 AM
Originally posted by delloro:
there are pigs on private land, but they are few and far beyween. those who know where they are are keeping their yaps shut.
I think delloro meant to say public land here.

The problem with public land is that it's...well, accessible to the public.

StrangeBrew
05-09-2005, 12:05 PM
ok so basically if i want to hunt boar with any luck i have to pay lots of money? and if i dont i will have a low chance of even finding anything? If that is the case, i am just going to wait untill i get a better job lol. Wish there was someone in my family who could take me out, the folks who did hunt in my family are in no conditio n to go hunting now.

delloro
05-10-2005, 8:01 AM
Originally posted by StrangeBrew:
ok so basically if i want to hunt boar with any luck i have to pay lots of money? and if i dont i will have a low chance of even finding anything?

that's exactly right.

StrangeBrew
05-10-2005, 9:50 AM
what about turkey hunting, anyone know anything about that?

shooterx10
05-11-2005, 8:28 AM
There is a vendor at the SF Cow Palace Gun Show who takes hunters on guided hunts up to his 1000 acre property in Manzanita Flats. I think that is in either Humboldt or Mendocino County. Anyhow, he charges $325 for a weekend. Of course, you'll have to provide the transportation, hunting gear, etc. I don't know if he will field dress (gut) the animal for you, though.

You can't miss him at the Cow Palace Show. Just look for the mounted black boar's head on the table! Since the Cow Palace show is coming up soon, you might want to check it out.

If you want to do some wing shooting, check out Grizzly Island in Solano County.

delloro
05-12-2005, 8:48 AM
Originally posted by StrangeBrew:
what about turkey hunting, anyone know anything about that?

depends where you are, and where you are willing to travel