View Full Version : Report on FAB-10 vs. Vulcan Arms lower

05-24-2005, 6:36 PM
I now have one of each - FAB-10 (with supposedly dealer installed Armalite lower parts) and Vulcan Arms (I built with Bushmaster lower parts) lowers. Following are the pluses and minuses of both.
Forged receiver (for a while I thought it was cast till I got hold of Shoeless)
Great finish (although some disagree)
Matched Armalite upper perfectly
Had trouble feeding rounds till I exercised the internal mag - no problems since
Was able to modify a stripper clip guide to speed up loading with stripper clips
Came with DOJ letter
Costs at least $50 more than Vulcan
Mag will be difficult to find if replacement needed - Shoeless is, I think the only supplier and not easy to reach most of the time; however, the mag seems to be of much better quality than Vulcan.
Forged receiver (they used to be cast and at least one broke)
Lousy finish (although some like it) too me over an hour to get it looking half way decently and still I am not happy with it
No trouble feeding from the stock 20 round size mag blocked to 10 rounds through the 200 rounds I fired so far, but the mag has an unsightly weld and looks like hell, the lips are not very symmetrical
easy to find replacement mags (my choice would be Bushmaster), if replacement needed
Really tight fit with an Armalite upper, aft take-down holes slightly off, but will probably wear in
Cost $250 stripped
No DOJ letter, but when I inquired by e-mail to Vulcan within an hour I had the DOJ letter and all specs for the lower.
No space in the back of the mag for modified stripper guide; have to hand load unless I can figure something out; will probably end up as the lower for my .50 Beowulf and 6.5 Grendel uppers, if they ever arrive.
I don't know whether it was the stock Bushmaster trigger (crisp and no creep), the XM-193 ammo I tried for the first time or the skeleton stock but I got my best groups ever for those 200 rounds; consistant .75-1.00 MOA at 100 yards with an occasional flyer, which was my fault.

05-25-2005, 9:24 AM
Thanks for posting this. I think one of these days I'll take a chance on a Vulcan and see how it goes. If you have any pics to share, side by side, that would be much appreciated.

05-26-2005, 8:56 AM
Do you have a site where i can check out the Cali approved Vulcan lower receiver? I have already seen a few of the fab 10's at the gun shops and really like them.

05-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Do you have a site where i can check out the Cali approved Vulcan lower receiver?
Not really, but Sonoma Firearms usually has them at gun shows; you can also go toVulcan's website (http://www.vulcanarmament.com) and e-mail them for info, which you will probably get within an hour. The picture of the lower is going to be butt ugly, at least in the eyes of this beholder.

05-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks, I sent them a email for more information and pictures.