PDA

View Full Version : ex-felon in possesion of a firearm

thumper35
07-18-2009, 6:08 PM
I have a 1995 conviction for stalking of my ex-wife during our divorce in which i was sentenced to 2 years in prison.It has been 14 years and i have had no other contact or have ever been arrested again.Me and the new wife have been together 11 years with no problems. My wife has asked if we could have a gun in the house due to my conviction without me getting in trouble.She would be the one purchasing the gun but if something happen and i had to use it in self-defense she doesnt want me to get into trouble. I have read allot of forums including this one where people say once a felon that they should never own a gun. But this story is very differnet as i have no previous record and have been an outstanding member of the community ever since.Before this issue i had no previous record and im not a repeat criminal.Besides going out and paying $2000 (which i dont have) to get my rights back what should i do.

Geo
07-18-2009, 6:16 PM
You're a convicted felon, end of story.

Decoligny
07-18-2009, 6:24 PM
I have a 1995 conviction for stalking of my ex-wife during our divorce in which i was sentenced to 2 years in prison.It has been 14 years and i have had no other contact or have ever been arrested again.Me and the new wife have been together 11 years with no problems. My wife has asked if we could have a gun in the house due to my conviction without me getting in trouble.She would be the one purchasing the gun but if something happen and i had to use it in self-defense she doesnt want me to get into trouble. I have read allot of forums including this one where people say once a felon that they should never own a gun. But this story is very differnet as i have no previous record and have been an outstanding member of the community ever since.Before this issue i had no previous record and im not a repeat criminal.Besides going out and paying $2000 (which i dont have) to get my rights back what should i do.

I would suggest you look at getting a good crossbow, or several crossbows. They are every bit as deadly as a firearm at close range and from what I have read there is no restriction on felons owning them, given that you aren't on parole.

GaryV
07-18-2009, 6:24 PM

Precisely. She can't even legally have a gun of her own in the house, if you would or could potentially have any access to it. Your prior or subsequent record is irrelevant. You are convicted felon. If you get caught in possession of a gun (which includes having one in the house unless locked up in a way you can prove you can't access), ever, go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Can'thavenuthingood
07-18-2009, 6:27 PM
She should get a gun and learn how to use it.

In a life or death struggle its your risk to use it. What kind of trouble would there be if you didn't use it in that scenario?

Lots of thinking and decision making to do beforehand.

Vick

tyrist
07-18-2009, 6:28 PM
Nope it's a felony for you to have access to the firearm. You also cannot have any ammunition or even body armor.

CSDGuy
07-18-2009, 6:32 PM
While your wife legally can own a firearm, ammo, and body armor... if YOU have access to ANY of it... It's another FELONY for you.

vandal
07-18-2009, 6:43 PM
How did G. Gordon Liddy's wife have so many guns then?

badhabit90
07-18-2009, 7:01 PM
Besides going out and paying $2000 (which i dont have) to get my rights back what should i do.

this.....:cool2: this the ONLY safe way for you to OWN a firearm legally again. she can buy one and learn how to use it. however, if you have access to it, you may get some time again for F.I.P. your parole officer i dont think really is gonna go for the "its hers" line. now, you dont have to tell him/her either that she purchased one and it is locked up somewhere. a self defense issue is dependent on the situation.....

is there any stipulation against pepperspray? i got my wife a Kimber Life Act. very effective. you can get one that looks like a gun too....

the best way and safest way is to take that money and get your rights back legally. then you can buy what ever you want.

you got money for a gun, therefore you got money for the attorney to get your rights back.

good luck.

Gator Monroe
07-18-2009, 7:08 PM
Join the Military ?:)

frankiejoe577
07-18-2009, 7:30 PM
The question is why did you stalk someone in the first place enough to get you put in jail for 2 years. People who sell drugs often get less time and people who murder people have gotton off with a little more time then that.

Mike's Custom
07-18-2009, 7:34 PM
If it is a non violent felony you can most likely have it expounged ater 10 years. You will have to do this yourself or with an attorney. But, as long as you are a convicted felon and it is still on your record then you can't live in a house with a firearm. If your wife bought one and you had access to it that would not be good.

CSDGuy
07-18-2009, 7:50 PM
If it is a non violent felony you can most likely have it expounged ater 10 years. You will have to do this yourself or with an attorney. But, as long as you are a convicted felon and it is still on your record then you can't live in a house with you having access to a firearm. If your wife bought one and you had access to it that would not be good.
The expungement would have to specifically include firearms rights restoration. Otherwise, you would likely still be treated as if you're still a Felon with respect to firearms.

Felons can live in homes that DO have firearms in them... however they can have ZERO access to the firearms or ammo. If someone checks and thinks that the Felon has access... a Jury will decide if the Felon really is a "Felon In Possession"...

sac550
07-18-2009, 9:08 PM
It is not illegal for her to have a firearm in the house. Access is not an element of 12021(a)(1). You can't own or possess a firearm, however, she can own all the guns she wants. I would recommend she keep them locked up, but again that is not required. There is a lot of misinformation out there about 12021 and a roommate or spouse owning a gun.

wildhawker
07-18-2009, 9:39 PM
Good points, all; bottom line, there are risks. A good rule of thumb is to avoid drama like it was plague.

Each of us must make difficult decisions, some carrying severe consequences (many unintended); you must investigate and decide if the risks outweigh not having a means by which to defend yourself and your family if ever the need arose.

She should get a gun and learn how to use it.

In a life or death struggle its your risk to use it. What kind of trouble would there be if you didn't use it in that scenario?

Lots of thinking and decision making to do beforehand.

Vick

1911_sfca
07-18-2009, 9:51 PM
I'm going to give a +1 on the "save up for a good firearms lawyer" suggestion. At least have a free consultation with one and find out what you need to do.

hoffmang
07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
If your wife buys a safe and does not give you access to the safe, she can have a firearm in that safe.

However, you still should hire a good firearms attorney to get an expungement and otherwise get your rights restored to the extent you can.

-Gene

radioman
07-18-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.criminalhistorycleaners.com/ Talk to them they may be able to help, I,m not saying CAN.

Irrational Voice
07-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Since your victim was your ex-wife this may be considered a DV offense.

cousinkix1953
07-18-2009, 10:56 PM
If your wife buys a safe and does not give you access to the safe, she can have a firearm in that safe.

However, you still should hire a good firearms attorney to get an expungement and otherwise get your rights restored to the extent you can.

-Gene
How does G Gordon Liddy do it? He's still a convicted felon for his Watergate crimes in the 70s. He made a point of bragging about his .45 caliber 1911/A1 pistol, right after the Waco incident and make jokes about shooting the feds in the head. Those guns must be registered to his wife.

A Scotts Valley drug dealer opened a gun shop in the 90s. His wife applied for their FFL in her maiden name. They openly sold post ban assault rifles and OLL type weapons. Everything was fiine, until the old man started selling large amounts of marijuana again. This damned fool stored that smelly dope in the store and the narks had noses. He got busted...

alex00
07-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Unlike a lot of the previous questions about felon roommates, renters, etc. there is no way to have a spouse own a gun in the same house as you. Under California law everything is community property, what she owns, you own. There is no way to set up "private areas" of the house that only she has access to, because by law you have access to every part of the house. If a safe was in the house, and Law Enforcement ever discovered the guns inside, the burden of proof would be upon you to show that you did not know the combination. I don't know how you could ever prove a negative like that.

The other thing to consider is that your relationship may be great now, and full of trust, but if it ever went south, all it would take is one phone call from her, saying you had access to a gun. You would have a very hard time convincing anyone you did not have access to the gun in the house. If your wife has a burning desire to own a gun, about the only place she could keep it would be at a third parties house like friends or family. Somewhere you don't have access to.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about your conviction being expunged. California is very serious about keeping guns out of the hands of anyone remotely involved in a DV case. Stalking your ex would certainly qualify as a DV case. Take a look at the old news stories about the cops that lost their jobs from old misdemeanor DV cases when the new gun restrictions went into effect. There are many misdemeanor convictions that will prevent you from possessing firearms. Even the most liberal judges will have a hard time granting you access to firearms with your past conviction.

hoffmang
07-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Unlike a lot of the previous questions about felon roommates, renters, etc. there is no way to have a spouse own a gun in the same house as you. Under California law everything is community property, what she owns, you own. There is no way to set up "private areas" of the house that only she has access to, because by law you have access to every part of the house. If a safe was in the house, and Law Enforcement ever discovered the guns inside, the burden of proof would be upon you to show that you did not know the combination. I don't know how you could ever prove a negative like that.

Having just seen this happen with a California firearms attorney and a client where one spouse was legitimately 5150, the other spouse can possess a firearm in the same home as long as the prohibited person can not get access to the firearm.

However, you would probably want to talk to a California firearms attorney to make sure you've taken all the correct precautions. Heller is directly on point here. Being married to a felon doesn't strip one's fundamental rights to self defense in the home.

-Gene

Doheny
07-19-2009, 12:19 AM
There is a section in the code that addresses prohibited persons using a gun in self defense. We've seen threads here where felon gang bangers have used a gun to protect themselves (and not been prosecuted) even though they shouldn't have them.

It's late and I don't remember the section...I'll post it when I find it. It's addressed in "How to own a gun and stay out of jail" if anyone has their copy handy.

Obviously not the best solution, but possibly an option if your wife kept it in her safe as Gene mentioned.

wildhawker
07-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Alex00, are you saying that if a spouse possessed drugs or an AW, for example, the other spouse would be guilty of the same crime vis a vis community property?

leitung
07-19-2009, 12:32 AM
is there any stipulation against pepperspray? i got my wife a Kimber Life Act. very effective. you can get one that looks like a gun too....

Yes, it is illegal for a convicted felon to possess pepper spray or tear gas.

scootergmc
07-19-2009, 12:43 AM
You are getting misinformation here. Assuming you were convicted in California, expungement has nothing to do with restoration of rights, especially firearms rights since it's prohibited even with a 1203.4 expungement. Besides, you don't even qualify for 1203.4 since you went to prison. Your only method of restoration of rights would be a certificate of rehabilitation followed up with a governor's pardon- which falls between a snowball's chance in hell and jump off a cliff.

However, with that said, your wife can own and possess firearms so long as you have absolutely no access to them (locked up, you don't have a key or combo). Ammo is the same situation.

CSDGuy
07-19-2009, 1:08 AM

The other thing to consider is that your relationship may be great now, and full of trust, but if it ever went south, all it would take is one phone call from her, saying you had access to a gun. You would have a very hard time convincing anyone you did not have access to the gun in the house. If your wife has a burning desire to own a gun, about the only place she could keep it would be at a third parties house like friends or family. Somewhere you don't have access to.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about your conviction being expunged. California is very serious about keeping guns out of the hands of anyone remotely involved in a DV case. Stalking your ex would certainly qualify as a DV case. Take a look at the old news stories about the cops that lost their jobs from old misdemeanor DV cases when the new gun restrictions went into effect. There are many misdemeanor convictions that will prevent you from possessing firearms. Even the most liberal judges will have a hard time granting you access to firearms with your past conviction.
Yes, this is where you'd have problems... however, your spouse wouldn't. If you're a Felon, you are the one with the "disability" not the spouse. As long as you the Felon can not access the firearms or ammo, you the Felon can't therefore be in possession of that stuff. However, you might end up having to convince LE of that, which is where the trouble lies.
Having just seen this happen with a California firearms attorney and a client where one spouse was legitimately 5150, the other spouse can possess a firearm in the same home as long as the prohibited person can not get access to the firearm.

However, you would probably want to talk to a California firearms attorney to make sure you've taken all the correct precautions. Heller is directly on point here. Being married to a felon doesn't strip one's fundamental rights to self defense in the home.

-Gene
Exactly. The non-felon spouse was not convicted of any crime, and therefore has not had any rights restricted.
Alex00, are you saying that if a spouse possessed drugs or an AW, for example, the other spouse would be guilty of the same crime vis a vis community property?
I think that's a great analogy! So, on her own, my wife goes out, decides to buy illegal drugs for the first time ever, using money withdrawn from the joint checking account, gets stopped in our car (I'm at home at the time), and I'm suddenly even remotely guilty of drug possession for something I had no knowledge of?

Seesm
07-19-2009, 1:18 AM
Call a reputable lawyer and spend the needed funds to "try" to fix your problem.

You want to do things right try hard to get things right for you.

alex00
07-19-2009, 1:28 AM

-Gene
Gene, I was speaking less to the wife, and more to the prohibited person as it relates to 12021. Without taking very extreme measures it would be hard for a prohibited person to prove he did not have the gun in his possession, care, custody, or control. Not impossible, just hard. I agree that you do not give up your fundamental rights to self defense when you marry a felon. The felon would have to make sure all the "Ts" were crossed and "Is" dotted if he planned to stay in the home where his spouse decided to exercise her rights, though.

No, I'm saying 12021 applies specifically to prohibited persons possessing firearms. A valid defense is harder to make if the weapon is found in the home where a prohibited person lives. Possession of drugs and AWs are separate issues. If there is no indicia tying one person to the possession the case is more difficult to prove.

I still believe, as it relates to the prohibited person, that trying to mount an affirmative defense by claiming they did not have access to the safe would be difficult.

CnCFunFactory
07-19-2009, 3:21 AM
You are a felon. Sad to say but that's the bottom line unless you jump through the hoops and retain an attorney. I do however wish you the best of luck in your endeavor as I do feel people can change, not that you needed to per se, sounds more like you got the wrong end of the stick. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you do.

Geo
07-19-2009, 9:18 AM
Does the ex-wife have any say in this? Did she make it up, or did you really try to go Wayne Brady on her?

Greg-Dawg
07-19-2009, 9:29 AM

Repeat 10xs.

ScottB
07-19-2009, 9:34 AM
If $2K and a good lawyer will get your rights restored and be squared away legally, compared to risky rationalizations intended to skirt the law for the rest of your life, that seems like a deal and a half to me. In a year you will have forgotten all about the money.

Guys always have money for more toys and tats, but never seem to have any money for important things. Just my 2 cents.

jazman
07-19-2009, 9:49 AM
No offense, but I would also be worried about the new wife. Even though things sound as they are going well now, it would be so easy for her to nail you if she ever wanted to. Leave her gun out on the table, call the cops, tell them you are threatening her...it would get ugly fast. I would stay away from guns were I you.

ptdog
07-19-2009, 10:06 AM
From my conversation with DOJ, I don't know how good the info is, but if the original conviction is NOT a wobbler, and some how you get a very good lawyer and judge to reduce it, CA DOJ will not honor any firearms rights restoration. You could potentially get a reduction, but CA DOJ is aware of judges giving out reductions. If it is not a wobbler, your rights are gone.

bodger
07-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Lawyer.
Do you see how many conflicting opinions there are in this thread?
I wouldn't want to bet my freedom on any one them. No offense to the authors, it's just that my head swims sometimes when I read opinons here on what is and isn't legal.

Johhny
07-19-2009, 10:23 AM
AN ENCOURAGING IDEA

Aren't felons allowed to own and use antique firearms and muzzleloading firearms?

Though not as preferable as modern firearms, black powder firearms and pre-1899 cartridge firearms are a reasonable alternative. There are a lot of German Gewehr 88 rifles that can be purchased for less than $300. Modern 8mm Mauser ammunition can work in them (surplus 8mm is generally considered too powerful for the old receivers) and handloads with .311 bullets and appropriate powder charges work well. Even if you were to cut one down to pistol size, it would be legal, as it is an antique. If you wanted a purpose-built multi-shot handgun, there are many sub-$300 black powder revolvers out there. I'm sure they can kill humans as well as they did during the Civil War (I'm sure they've killed quite a few).

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20817_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat20817&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20817&id=0006195

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134062256

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134245890

All of this assumes that antique and muzzleloading firearms are legal for felons to own, which I am unsure of at the moment. I think it's legal, anyway.

*not a lawyer*
*not legal advice*
*suggesting a possible way to legally obtain means of self-defense*

hoffmang
07-19-2009, 10:48 AM
AN ENCOURAGING IDEA

Aren't felons allowed to own and use antique firearms and muzzleloading firearms?

No. It is true that a felon can pragmatically obtain such a firearm but I'm pretty sure that e.g. blackpowder handguns have been held to be firearms for the felon in possession statute. Granted I haven't spent a lot of time researching it recently.

-Gene

TheBundo
07-19-2009, 12:18 PM
No. It is true that a felon can pragmatically obtain such a firearm but I'm pretty sure that e.g. blackpowder handguns have been held to be firearms for the felon in possession statute. Granted I haven't spent a lot of time researching it recently.

-Gene

They are considered firearms in many other situations, like going into the govenor's mansion, etc.

HowardW56
07-19-2009, 12:38 PM

It depends if you are willing to go back to prison...

You are a convicted felon... I'm not sure a Pardon would restore your rights...

Acorn556
07-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I would buy an hour with an Attorney, talk to a parole officer and look into the laws. Figure out the specifics of your case and decide how you can go about this. Maybe she can put it in a safe that only opens by her fingerprint and it's legal since you can't get in it w/o her knowing.

motorhead
07-19-2009, 1:11 PM
biometric lock. easily demonstrated for any concerned that the prohibited person cannot access. it either opens or not.

Decoligny
07-19-2009, 2:38 PM
As I said earlier, for the time being, until you get enough money to jump through the hoops, just go buy yourself a good crossbow and learn to use it.

cousinkix1953
07-19-2009, 6:51 PM
AN ENCOURAGING IDEA

Though not as preferable as modern firearms, black powder firearms and pre-1899 cartridge firearms are a reasonable alternative. There are a lot of German Gewehr 88 rifles that can be purchased for less than $300. Modern 8mm Mauser ammunition can work in them (surplus 8mm is generally considered too powerful for the old receivers) and handloads with .311 bullets and appropriate powder charges work well. Even if you were to cut one down to pistol size, it would be legal, as it is an antique. If you wanted a purpose-built multi-shot handgun, there are many sub-$300 black powder revolvers out there. I'm sure they can kill humans as well as they did during the Civil War (I'm sure they've killed quite a few).
German Gewehr 88 rifles are loaded with a .318 diameter bullet! Even short barreled rifles (less than 16" barrels) must be registered with the BATFE. Winchester once made 14 inch carbines which are certainly antiques and must be registered. Forget it if you are a felon.

State law might even forbid the posession of that Gew 88 or even a single-shot trtapdoor Springfield....

cousinkix1953
07-19-2009, 6:54 PM
It depends if you are willing to go back to prison...

You are a convicted felon... I'm not sure a Pardon would restore your rights...
Yes it does! Bill Clinton pardoned a drug dealer and restored his gun rights, just so an old friend could go hunting again. Look into the case of Danny Lassiter...

thumper35
07-24-2009, 10:49 PM
its clear to me that some people understand what and why im trying to do this and there are those people( who have been the good citizen) all there life and say that just because im a ex-felon i should not have a gun. I am not a repeat offender i have never done drugs in my life and i have no prior record before this or after this issue.Opinions are everywhere here and everyone has said there peace on what they believe to be right. i was hoping for some guidance as to where are who to speak to since i know nothing and no one out here but i got nothing.I feel sad for those people who have never had the desire to take his son out hunting for whatever. I grew up with guns in the house and we went deer hunting every year so guns played a big role in my up bringing.The only thing that i did learn from posting this is that there are some people in the world that will judge me by my past and not for what i have not done.Other than this issue i have been the outstanding person just like everyone else and you would not even know that i was ever in prison unless i told you .I am not a gang banger past or present nor do i have any tatoos at all. I am your normal person that lives next door to everyone.

retired
07-24-2009, 11:11 PM
its clear to me that some people understand what and why im trying to do this and there are those people( who have been the good citizen) all there life and say that just because im a ex-felon i should not have a gun. I am not a repeat offender i have never done drugs in my life and i have no prior record before this or after this issue.Opinions are everywhere here and everyone has said there peace on what they believe to be right. i was hoping for some guidance as to where are who to speak to since i know nothing and no one out here but i got nothing.I feel sad for those people who have never had the desire to take his son out hunting for whatever. I grew up with guns in the house and we went deer hunting every year so guns played a big role in my up bringing.The only thing that i did learn from posting this is that there are some people in the world that will judge me by my past and not for what i have not done.Other than this issue i have been the outstanding person just like everyone else and you would not even know that i was ever in prison unless i told you .I am not a gang banger past or present nor do i have any tatoos at all. I am your normal person that lives next door to everyone.

Actually, you did have quite a few recommend you contact an atty. to get legal advice. That is something. Talk to an expert on firearm law and see what he/she says. Chuck Michael is a member here and is an expert in that field.

http://www.michelandassociates.com/

He is listed in the entry page to Calguns.

dustoff31
07-24-2009, 11:16 PM

I don't think people are judging you, or saying that you shouldn't have a gun. They seem to be saying that in view of your conviction you are not legally allowed to have a gun. I certainly hope you didn't expect anyone here to advise you to ignore the law.

I believe that the best advice, which has been offered previously, is sit down with an attorney and talk with him about what can be done to get your rights restored.

Geo
07-25-2009, 8:39 AM
Dude (thumper35), you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder because you weren't able to follow the law, and now you're not able to deal with the consequences. Life is a long chain of actions and consequences with no opportunity to hit the rewind button.

I'll grant that you probably are a decent citizen and you probably do have lots of valid reasons to want to own a firearm. That's great! Heck, you're probably also an all around nice guy.

But the bottom line is that you're a convicted felon, and Federal criminal statutes mandate that you not own firearms. Period. End of story. No more whining.

As has been pointed by many in this thread, the ONLY way you are ever going to get your firearms rights back is to go through a lawyer, and that’s going to cost a lot of money, which you’ve indicated you don’t want to spend. You’re not going to get a pardon from the governor or the president, so spending several thousand dollars is your only chance… and since it’s only a chance, be prepared for the likely outcome that you will not be successful and the lawyer will not refund your money.

This thread should be a lesson to everyone who thinks they are an exceptional citizen. One moment of stupidity, one moment of uncontrolled rage, one moment of trying to stalk your ex-wife, can result in a felony. …and felons can’t own guns. Period.

Gator Monroe
07-25-2009, 8:44 AM
We can consult Big Bamboo on how to have EBR's & such after being a convicted felon .