PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried American Security (AmSec) Safes?

imported_leelaw
08-11-2005, 7:29 PM
So I went to Reeds to check out the different options on safes. It'll be my first, but I want to get one that's good and large enough to last a long time.

I was originally fixed on the Browning Medallion M6327F, 60 x 30 x 28, 10ga steel, 30min fire @ 1550'F, with a price tag around $1,900.

I also noticed the AmSec BF and LP series safes. The LP was junky, IMHO, so I checked out the BF series. AmSec seems to have problems with advertising because I can't find any information about the gauge steel used on the body (1/2" on the door), anything about the welding, etc. They're really good at putting out their fire protection numbers - 90min @1275'F, however.

I asked my locksmith family friend if he could get me a deal on a Browning safe but he only carries AmSec. I was going to then pass on using him as a souce, but he said he would give me 48% off MSRP for the AmSec safes. Since then I've been searching for more information but it is scarce. I trust his recommendation (he uses several of them too), but would still like more info.

So here I am. Does anyone here have any experience with AmSec? If anyone with a BF series could chime in, that would be great. I'm also looking for information about the locking mechanism, if anyone could post pictures of it, it would be appreciated (seeing if it has locking cams or not)

I live in an apartment on the 4th floor, but there is an elevator (rated at 2,500# capacity) that can bring it from the garage to my floor, then it's moving it down the hall and over a door threshold, and at a max of 181.25#/sq' the floor should hold, according to the apt managers.

Thanks in advance

bwiese
08-11-2005, 8:07 PM
The higher-grade AmSec safes should be pretty good. Dunno about specific model lines - but I think some are 3/16" instead of 10ga steel. (Which makes these better than Browning Medallions.)

Do not worry about your apartment. It should be fine. I had a 700ish lb safe in mine.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

ivanimal
08-11-2005, 9:50 PM
I have had an ansec in my garage for 16 years and it gets used a lot. It has been moved 4 times and still looks and works fine.

this is the closest model to mine
HS Series
SE6831

http://www.amsecusa.com/images/SE6831.jpg

imported_DULLYJAY
08-11-2005, 10:15 PM
I got one for 500bucks about two years ago. It does its job. I really dont know what makes a safe good after the gauge of stell. The one thing I don't like is that the door hinges our on the out side. There is still cross bolts in the inside that they'll have to deal with if they knocked them off. Then my Pitbull http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
A locksmith told me any safe can be open. One might just take longer. I trust my AmSec. I have the same as Ivan, just black.

imported_leelaw
08-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:
The higher-grade AmSec safes should be pretty good. Dunno about specific model lines - but I think some are 3/16" instead of 10ga steel. (Which makes these better than Browning Medallions.)

Do not worry about your apartment. It should be fine. I had a 700ish lb safe in mine.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

3/16" hmm? That's relieving to hear. I'm still waiting to hear back from an email I sent to the company this week.

I'm looking at possibly getting the 71x40x26 BF7240 one, about 1,300 pounds (1.25PSI, 181.25#/sq') I checked the flooring and it has a sheet of concgete under the carpet and linoleum.

Lots of room for ammo, documents and firearms, plus room to grow (woohoo!)

Ivanimal, Dulljay, would either one of you be willing to take a picture of the locking system behind the paneling on the inside of the door? Oh, and could you tell me if the bolts on the hinge side retract/extend too, or if they're just dead bolts? Any possibility of getting the real model number of the units (maybe it's written somewhere inside the door)?

Thanks.

08-12-2005, 8:44 AM
Another way to go instead of getting a 1300# safe that will ensure you have no friends on moving day is to buy two safes, same combo with left and right hinged doors. Liberty does this and also sells a frame to go around them both. That way you could seperate them for moving purposes and save yourself some heart ache.

imported_leelaw
08-12-2005, 3:06 PM
Well, I found some information out today from the manufacturers.

BF series:

The door on has a 1/2" steel plate, followed by the fire insulation.

The body has 1/8" steel then 1 3/4" fire insulation (concrete-type) then another 1/8" steel.

The bolts on the hinge side are fixed in place. The bolts on the opening side are active, with a relocking trigger installed (activates when the bolts are being forced open, locks up the entire door). There are no top or bottom bolts.

Still looking for information about the welding of the panels - intermittent weld or a continuous weld. The lady on the phone said she suspected it was spot welded, but will call me back on Monday to let me know for sure. I think I'll look for a different manufacturer if it's only spot welded.

TonyM
08-18-2005, 8:28 AM
What's the verdict?

imported_leelaw
08-18-2005, 8:40 AM
Originally posted by TonyM:
What's the verdict?

I didn't hear back from the lady who was checking on the welds so I called again yesterday. I reached a more informed representative who said that the welds were "stitch-welded", so intermittent. I asked if she could give more info, like how long the welds are and what the space between them is but she said it was proprietary information and not available for security reasons. So I thought about it for a second and asked her if she could tell me what percentage of any given edge is welded. She's getting back to me today.

So, the verdict looks good. I'm thinking of the BF6040 in a textured finish.

Will post weld data when I get it.

imported_leelaw
08-26-2005, 4:21 PM
So.. the second lady didn't call me back.

I called them again and left a voicemail on Wednesday and a third lady called me back. She said that the weld dimensions aren't available, so I asked her the same question about the approxilate percentage of an edge is welded, she said that's not available and the other lady (#2) told me that.

#3 was being a little *****y, so I said that #2 most certainly did NOT tell me that the percentage info was not available, #2 said specifically that she would ask the next day and call me back.

#3 said that "well yes, they're not available" and suggested that I was told that it was not available by lady #2, who, according to #3, NEVER said that she would call back about anything.

Regardless to say, lady #3 is a *****, #1 and #2 are cool, and I think intermittent is good enough, even though I would like more info on it.

Should be getting one in the next month or so.

Anyone have suggestions for safe movers in the Walnut Creek/Concord area? (possibly Berkeley, too - the origin is Oakland)

Thanks

imported_leelaw
09-12-2005, 5:00 PM
Little late on the update.. I placed an order for the AmSec BF6040 on the 7th, which will be delivered by Security Safe. ETA: 5 weeks

Lets see how this goes.. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif