PDA

View Full Version : Transporting handgun in SUV or P/U truck question.

MallNinja
07-18-2009, 5:58 PM
Can I transport an unloaded handgun in a locked container such as a soft pistol sleeve, a range bag, or even a book safe, and just place the safe on my front passenger seat?

Quiet
07-18-2009, 6:28 PM
yes.

Spade421
07-18-2009, 6:40 PM
I taught it had to be stored out of the immediate reach of the driver ?

Hence why your not suppose to store it in your glove box even if you can lock your glove box ?

Str8shutr
07-18-2009, 6:47 PM
The law says nothing about immediate reach, I personally (i drive an suv) try to put my locked range bag as far from my as I can...

Liberty1
07-18-2009, 6:48 PM

Why'd you teach that? The law doesn't require "out of the immediate reach of the driver" except if one is committing armed criminal action (PC 12023) or in Sac. in the capitol "zone" (PC 171c). Other wise PC 12025/12026.1a and PC 12031g govern concealed and loaded for most everyone else.

ke6guj
07-18-2009, 6:51 PM

Hence why your not suppose to store it in your glove box even if you can lock your glove box ?

the law says a concealed handgun must be in a locked container "other than a glove box". It does not say anything about "immediate reach".

12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.

tombinghamthegreat
07-18-2009, 8:24 PM
It can be either in a locked container like a backpack with a lock or it can be open carried with the mags/ammo right next to the gun assuming you are not in school zones.

JDay
07-18-2009, 9:56 PM

You can put an unloaded handgun and a full magazine on the seat next to you, only has to be locked up if concealed or if you are within 1000' of a school.

MallNinja
07-19-2009, 2:42 AM
You can put an unloaded handgun and a full magazine on the seat next to you, only has to be locked up if concealed or if you are within 1000' of a school.

Really? So I can drive around with an unloaded handgun sitting on my passenger seat?

lorax3
07-19-2009, 6:34 AM
Really? So I can drive around with an unloaded handgun sitting on my passenger seat?

Yes you can, but it is VERY dangerous. If you drive within 1K feet of a school you will be charged with a wobbler and lose your right to posses a firearm for ten years.

Just something to consider. :) Lock it up.