PDA

View Full Version : Threaded barrel adapters

Bobula
07-18-2009, 4:53 PM
I know threaded barrels make a pistol an AW, but what about asupressor adapter for a non threaded barrel?
I'm interested in it so I can add a shark style muzzle brake to my crazy .22
item in question
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/bobulaondeck/2206-Adaptor-New.jpg

Would possesion be in an issue if its not installed on the gun?

Hopi
07-18-2009, 5:04 PM
FWIW, AW laws only apply to semi-auto pistols with detachable mags. Also, constructive possession is not an issue re: CA AW laws.

Bobula
07-18-2009, 5:18 PM
It's a sw 422, pistol grip and removable mag.
What would the legality be of that adapter installed with a brake on it?

alex00
07-18-2009, 6:21 PM
I'm not sure exactly how that mounts, but the argument could be made that it is a threaded barrel. I would not put that on a gun with a detachable magazine while in California. You may also be able to permanently attach the muzzle brake to the device, and then there wouldn't be exposed threads.

There is no constructive possession, though, so you can keep it off the gun until you get to Nevada.

Bobula
07-21-2009, 7:00 AM
anyone else?

CSACANNONEER
07-21-2009, 7:05 AM
The way I see it is that if you use the threaded part to attach your MB to your gun and silver solder the threads together, it should be fine. If there is any way that you can remove the muzzle brake and leave exposed threads attached to the muzzle, DON'T DO IT unless, the pistol is a RAW.

6172crew
07-21-2009, 7:45 AM
TROS Ps90 adapters are illegal? The weird thing about suppressors is the owner doesnt have to tell the ATF where they are like the other NFA items. If I want to keep my cans in the same state but at a different location within the state I dont have to let anyone know. If I move where my Machine guns or SBR are stored I have to fill out the paperwork.

The Noveske mouth breather FH they sell should be a suppressor but they dont call it one..yet. They are sold to anyone yet they have a cavity to trap gasses when a round is sent threw them. They dont work very well but they seem to change the sound quite a bit. The barrel adapters for MSAR/AUGs change the thread pitch to accept a 1/2x28 does that mean those are illegal as well?

The ATF needs to go after things that matter, like felons who steal firearms.

Edited:My bad I thought you were talking about the new ATF ruling about adapters and having only one per can. I will look for the link.

Bobula
07-28-2009, 4:49 PM
So would this be a now go?

bwiese
07-28-2009, 5:50 PM
I know threaded barrels make a pistol an AW, but what about a
suppressor adapter for a non threaded barrel? I'm interested in it
so I can add a shark style muzzle brake to my crazy .22

Very grey area that could easily (likely) go sideways. When installed, it could be regarded as making the barrel into a threaded bbl. No regulations defining this, this is within the range of where a judge can make up crap, etc.

There are detent-lock devices that replace threaded barrels - the Professional Ordnance AR pistols in the late 90s had these in order to avoid the Federal AW ban of 'threaded bbls as evil features'. Such detent lock devices would clearly not result in a combination regardable as a threaded bbl.

Would possesion be in an issue if its not installed on the gun?No, possession separated from the gun is legal. 'Constructive possession' does not apply to CA AW laws.

For the sheer standpoint of drama reduction, I'd not regularly transport such adapter in my range bag pocket.