PDA

View Full Version : The Washington Times on DC's "legal guns"

Liberty1
07-18-2009, 4:43 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jul/17/legal-guns-not-used-one-year-later-no-report-of-on/?feat=home_headlines

Legal guns in D.C. not used one year later
No report of one being fired, stolen, used in crime
By Jennifer Maas THE WASHINGTON TIMES | Friday, July 17, 2009

Article

It's been a year since a Northwest D.C. housewife carried a Ruger .357 Magnum into police headquarters in a blue plastic grocery bag and became the District's first legal handgun owner since the Supreme Court overturned a decades-old ban.

Today, Amy McVey's handgun is one of just 515 that have been legally registered with the Metropolitan Police Department -- a number that pales compared with more than 2,000 illegal weapons that have been seized in the same period.

She hasn't had to use it to defend her home. Nor has anyone attempted to steal it and use it against her or to commit some other crime -- undermining the most widely used arguments for and against permitting guns.

In fact, police say they have no information that would indicate any gun legally registered since July 17, 2008, has been fired by its owner in defense of life or property, or that one has been stolen or used in the commission of a crime.

"I just wanted to have the gun in my house for protection," Mrs. McVey, 46, told The Washington Times on Thursday. She said she has taken her gun to Maryland for target practice -- much as she did when she kept it stored outside the city before it was registered.

"No, I've never had to pull the gun to protect myself. There have been times I was startled -- you hear things outside. Is it on your front porch? -- but you assess the situation. There was no harm to me inside the house."

Asked where she keeps it, she said simply: "I can get to it."

Lynda Salvatore, 38, bought a Glock 21 to protect herself and her Columbia Heights home. Miss Salvatore, a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office employee, bought the gun recently because she said she feels unsafe since she moved into her neighborhood three years ago.

"I mean, people are regularly shot within a three-block radius of me. I've seen three dead bodies on the streets since I moved here," Miss Salvatore said.

"I've been harassed by kids on the street. ... They'll catcall after me and when I don't answer them they call me white ***** and throw rocks at me."...

Fat_Rat
07-18-2009, 4:54 AM
Only 515 guns registered they have some catching up to do.

yellowfin
07-18-2009, 5:53 AM
That may be going as fast as they can go considering there isn't a gun store in DC.

tiki
07-18-2009, 6:22 AM
Only 515 guns registered they have some catching up to do.

Ha ha, 515 guns, what is that like 12 people?

Gator Monroe
07-18-2009, 6:33 AM

Or 25.000 liberals ?

Kokopelli
07-18-2009, 8:20 AM

Or two CALGUNS members. :)

CSACANNONEER
07-18-2009, 8:24 AM
Or two NEW CALGUNS members. :)

Fixed it for you.

Gator Monroe
07-18-2009, 8:29 AM
tWO tERRORISTS ?

glockwise2000
07-18-2009, 8:43 AM

Or it's just me :rofl2:

Kokopelli
07-18-2009, 8:59 AM
Fixed it for you.

Thanks! :)

JDoe
07-18-2009, 9:01 AM

Or maybe the best indicator of an experienced population not trusting the .gov with gun registration. :TFH:

megavolt121
07-18-2009, 9:18 AM

No, Ivanimal moved to DC!

Liberty1
07-18-2009, 9:37 AM

What? and still left some guns in CA?

HowardW56
07-18-2009, 9:38 AM
Or two CALGUNS members. :)

I think that would be 2.6 Calguns members...

Gator Monroe
07-18-2009, 9:39 AM

I always thought he was a Redskins fan ...:sleeping:

radioman
07-18-2009, 9:41 AM
it is funny how the sky in dc did not fall, chicken little get a gun, and you won't have to live in fear of the boggy man.

Gator Monroe
07-18-2009, 9:43 AM
it is funny how the sky in dc did not fall, chicken little get a gun, and you won't have to live in fear of the boggy man.

Uh, we already have one Gator here at CGN ...:mad:

radioman
07-18-2009, 9:46 AM
Uh, we already have one Gator here at CGN ...:mad:

Yes one and only one, but the same can said about radio man.

StoneRoots
07-18-2009, 9:50 AM

HHHAHAHA:43:

FullMetalJacket
07-18-2009, 1:06 PM
The implication made by the article is that not having to use one is the same as not needing one. The whole point of having a firearm is to serve as a disincentive to criminals plying their trade against one in the first place, and defense only should that disincentive prove inadequate.

If I go my whole life and never have to fire my home defense gun in a defensive situation, that would suit me just fine.

Shotgun Man
07-18-2009, 1:11 PM
"I've been harassed by kids on the street. ... They'll catcall after me and when I don't answer them they call me white ***** and throw rocks at me."...

Tough neighborhood.

7222 Hawker
07-18-2009, 1:32 PM
Wait until someone does use one of those registered guns for self defense when the cops were too far away to make it there in time. Bet that won't make the paper.

N6ATF
07-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Wait until someone does use one of those registered guns for self defense when the cops were too far away to make it there in time. Bet that won't make the paper.

It will, because false arrests for self-defense will follow. DC gun owners are guilty of 1st degree murder, until proven innocent.

CalNRA
07-19-2009, 2:47 AM
Tough neighborhood.

yep.

Reminds me of what happen to my pop's old neighborhood after the 70's.:(

Something white liberals in 's posh neighborhoods will never understand.

gcvt
07-19-2009, 3:12 AM
The implication made by the article is that not having to use one is the same as not needing one. The whole point of having a firearm is to serve as a disincentive to criminals plying their trade against one in the first place, and defense only should that disincentive prove inadequate.

If I go my whole life and never have to fire my home defense gun in a defensive situation, that would suit me just fine.

Exactly. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if someone in DC was working on legislation saying that if you legally own a firearm to defend your family but don't use it within a year, you can no longer own a firearm :rolleyes:

socal2310
07-19-2009, 6:12 AM

Not to mention, if you did scare off a criminal with no shots fired, would you call the police if you lived in DC whether your firearm was legal or not?

Ryan