PDA

View Full Version : Help to decide: Glock 23 vs 23C

Rob Roy
07-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Is 23C a better option, because you can also use a non ported barrel, so more fun to shoot or should I just stick with the regular one?

CSDGuy
07-17-2009, 10:26 PM
They say that the Ported models have more flash... so if you shoot at night, you could have issues with a flash right in your line of sight. Also, the port is just one more thing to clean. I've got a 23 myself... and I don't have any complaints about muzzle flip. If you can, rent one of each and try them back to back. See for yourself which one you like. Eventually, I'll probably be getting a 32 barrel for it just so I can have the option of shooting .357 Sig as well.

WebMoskal
07-17-2009, 10:36 PM
That is a beauty about .40 S&W, it has recoil feel very similar to 9mm, and in glocks maybe due to plastic frame its really mild. I have glock 27 and its not a problem at all. I do have .357 mag ported revolver and its is just like CSDGuy said, an extra area to clean.

Greg-Dawg
07-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Can't you handle the .40S&W?

rips31
07-18-2009, 12:35 AM
the g23c that i've shot is hardly different from my g23...didn't even notice the flash from the ports on the g23c.

when i first thought about pistols, i rented glocks, but was worried about muzzle flip...it wasn't bad. i finally bought a glock after 5yr of buying/shooting pistols. the glock has <much> less muzzle flip than my hk's (p2000/elite/expert). it's almost as much fun to shoot as my sigs. :)

They say that the Ported models have more flash... so if you shoot at night, you could have issues with a flash right in your line of sight. Also, the port is just one more thing to clean. I've got a 23 myself... and I don't have any complaints about muzzle flip. If you can, rent one of each and try them back to back. See for yourself which one you like. Eventually, I'll probably be getting a 32 barrel for it just so I can have the option of shooting .357 Sig as well.

Rob Roy
07-18-2009, 12:46 AM
The point is not recoil handling, but having diversity in my shooting experience. Are ports a gimmick or there is a big difference in recoil?

Shane916
07-18-2009, 9:33 AM
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950520

Rob Roy
07-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Is front site getting dirty a real problem?

Rob Roy
07-18-2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950520
Thanks, good read.

C_1
07-18-2009, 11:20 AM
The ports are suppose to reduce recoil, but I dont know by how much, there is a lil more muzzle flash, and yes, the front sight is going to get dirty fast if you go with the G23C..

Can't go wrong either way. If you get the G23, you always have the option of getting a extended and ported barrel later. Or if you get a G23C, and if you find that you dont like the ports, there are barrel replacements without ports you can buy. So its on you..

Aegis
07-18-2009, 1:55 PM
Forget the porting, go with the standard barrel. Some firearms instructors I have spoken with say they don't recommend a ported firearm for concealed carry or duty use.

JMacRevo
07-18-2009, 2:22 PM
+1 on getting the 23c and a factory non-ported barrel. Then you have both guns :thumbsup:

Rob Roy
07-18-2009, 8:44 PM
Forget the porting, go with the standard barrel. Some firearms instructors I have spoken with say they don't recommend a ported firearm for concealed carry or duty use.
Did they elaborate why?

sd1023x
07-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Just first observation, firing the gun close to your body might sting a little (lets say from hip level, close to your body, I mean maybe the dangerous dude is close and you don't have enough time to take a weaver stance// I also like the scenario when someone is trying to grab me and i need to put my left forearm out in front of me to create some space and my right hand drawing and firing from the hip. With a c model, might be issues with burning myself).

Also, dunno exactly how many inches of barrel you get before the first 'port', but effectively your chopping length off your barrel, thus lowering velocity. For me the trade-off isn't worth it.

Invisible_Dave
07-19-2009, 1:05 AM
Did they elaborate why?

I've heard (not intended as statement of fact but instead as a thought starter) that the ported slots give an area for lint/dirt/debris to enter the barrel during carry. This is a problem for obvious reasons. The logic makes sense in my head.

JeffMG
07-19-2009, 4:02 PM
I wouldn't use a C for carry or personal defense. First of all, the muzzle flash makes it difficult or even blinding to shoot at night. A lot of that sound is also going to travel back to the shooter, and in a real gun fight or defense situation, you want as much of an edge as you can get. Also, you will not be able to fire from the hips with a Glock C because the flash will come right up at your face.
With that said however, if you really like the C cause of the "cool factor" or what not, you can always shoot the ported barrel at the range, but switch to a regular bbl when you carry or keep at home for HD.