View Full Version : No such thing as a rifle?

07-17-2009, 2:18 PM
In another recent post the below definition was offered for a rifle. The (potential) flaw is that small arms ammunition do not use explosives; they use propellants.

I suppose you can argue deflagrating, low explosives include propellants. However, the scientific and engineering communities typically treat propellants as separate from explosives, as does the Department of Transporation in their regulations for the transport of energetic materials.

If this is so, then there are no small arms that meet the definition of rifle.

The offered definition:
20) As used in this section, a "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

Full disclosure: I'm wicked tired and killing time in the airport. I may well be soft in the head on this one.

07-17-2009, 3:13 PM
yea i was thinking last night that a pistol has rifling

explosive has so many different meanings that calling propellant explosive is ok i mean it does expand rapidly

07-17-2009, 3:18 PM
Smokeless powder is certainly identified as an explosive in section 12301 of the dangerous weapon control laws and elsewhere in the law as cited below. Smokeless powder is additionally on the BATF list of explosives List (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/explosives-list.htm)

(b) The term "explosive," as used in this chapter,
shall mean any explosive defined in Section 12000 of
the Health and Safety Code.

SECTION 12000-12007

12000. For the purposes of this part, "explosives" means any
substance, or combination of substances, the primary or common
purpose of which is detonation or rapid combustion, and which is
capable of a relatively instantaneous or rapid release of gas and
heat, or any substance, the primary purpose of which, when combined
with others, is to form a substance capable of a relatively
instantaneous or rapid release of gas and heat. "Explosives"
includes, but is not limited to, any explosives as defined in Section
841 of Title 18 of the United States Code and published pursuant to
Section 555.23 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, and
any of the following:
(a) Dynamite, nitroglycerine, picric acid, lead azide, fulminate
of mercury, black powder, smokeless powder, propellant explosives,
detonating primers, blasting caps, or commercial boosters.