PDA

View Full Version : Brady Campaign President Responds To NRA Opposition To Judge Sonia Sotomayor

07-17-2009, 8:45 AM
For Immediate Release:
07-16-2009

Contact Communications:
(202) 898-0792 Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

Washington, DC – Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, released the following statement:

"Judge Sonia Sotomayor has given clear and responsible answers concerning the Second Amendment to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, while not pre-judging any issues that may come before her on the Supreme Court. We were impressed with her presentation. The National Rifle Association, in opposing her, is showing its true colors.

"The NRA’s statement opposing Judge Sotomayor represents a shameful misrepresentation of her testimony as well as the law. The NRA, instead, wants activist Supreme Court Justices who would support their ‘any gun, anywhere, anytime’ ideology. The U.S. Senate must take a stand against gun lobby extremism and confirm this superb nominee to the Supreme Court."

Disclaimer: This public announcement has nothing to do with President Obama. Any connections between the current President, the people who voted for him, Judge Sonia Sotomayor and the Brady Campaign are purely coincidental.

Spearo
07-17-2009, 8:47 AM
I'm still waiting for my brown shirt and armband.

lomalinda
07-17-2009, 9:16 AM
"clear and responsible answers concerning..."

The clear answers are not forthcoming in here senate testimony.

Rather, it's her statements and rulings on the matters of 2A and self-defense that demonstrate her "Anti-gun" tendencies.

Paul Helmke never met an anti he didn't like, so his support of this tempermental frump comes as no surprise to anyone.

07-17-2009, 9:19 AM
You know Obama's SCOTUS nominee Sonia Sotomayor is trouble for gun owners when Herr Helmke and his gun grabbing fascists are endorsing her.

Untamed1972
07-17-2009, 9:20 AM
"The NRA, instead, wants activist Supreme Court Justices who would support their ‘any gun, anywhere, anytime’ ideology."

I thought that "ideology" came from the US Constitution?

When did it become "activism" for SCOTUS judge to uphoild the constitution?

shark92651
07-17-2009, 9:45 AM
this tempermental frump

That's the best and funniest description of her I have seen so far!

GP3
07-17-2009, 9:47 AM
Lol. Loving the disclaimer. :)

hoozaru
07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
:ack2:

evan69
07-17-2009, 10:10 AM
I love how the NRA's e-mails and news bulletins are informative, backing themselves up with facts, while the Brady e-mails are just telling you an unfounded pile of junk...

dustoff31
07-17-2009, 10:24 AM
I thought that "ideology" came from the US Constitution?

When did it become "activism" for SCOTUS judge to uphoild the constitution?

When the PTB discover that the constitution contains "inconvienient truths".

Or as one senator ask SotoMayor something to the effect, "How can it be that a right clearly spelled out in the constitution is not guarenteed to citizens, but "rights" that the constitution makes no mention of are?

bodger
07-17-2009, 10:40 AM
"A shameful misrepresentation of the law".....?

"The NRA, in opposing her, is showing its true colors"....?

What "law" is he referring to? Is he talking about The Second Amendment?

I believe the colors he is referring to are Red White and Blue.
The NRA doesn't need this frowsy old broad as a platform for showing its "true" colors. I think everyone knows the agenda of the NRA already, and its hardly anything this butthead should be criticizing.

Helmke just can't stop making an azz out of himself. I don't wish harm or misfortune on anyone, but I would love to see this idiot in a situation just once where he needed a firearm to defend himself and his family and could experience the feeling of not having it, and knowing the cops aren't going to get to him in time to make a difference.
Maybe then he would understand the concept that not all gun owners have them for evil purposes.

Hopi
07-17-2009, 10:46 AM
"A shameful misrepresentation of the law".....?

"The NRA, in opposing her, is showing its true colors"....?

What "law" is he referring to? Is he talking about The Second Amendment?

I believe the colors he is referring to are Red White and Blue.
The NRA doesn't need this frowsy old broad as a platform for showing its "true" colors. I think everyone knows the agenda of the NRA already, and its hardly anything this butthead should be criticizing.

Helmke just can't stop making an azz out of himself. I don't wish harm or misfortune on anyone, but I would love to see this idiot in a situation just once where he needed a firearm to defend himself and his family and could experience the feeling of not having it, and knowing the cops aren't going to get to him in time to make a difference.
Maybe then he would understand the concept that not all gun owners have them for evil purposes.

Doesn't the Brady Bunch have an 01 FFL?

radioman
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Disclaimer: This public announcement has nothing to do with President Obama. Any connections between the current President, the people who voted for him, Judge Sonia Sotomayor and the Brady Campaign are purely coincidental.

I just called the Brady bunch, LOL. I asked IF they think that if all of us gave up our guns if we would be as safe as the aussy, they started yelling at me, told I was a fool and hung up on me. LOL so much for debate, I think all of us at calgun's should call the Brady bunch at 202 898 0792, still lingmao .

nick
07-17-2009, 11:22 AM
You know Obama's SCOTUS nominee Sonia Sotomayor is trouble for gun owners when Herr Helmke and his gun grabbing fascists are endorsing her.

Did you just say the O word? :p

bwiese
07-17-2009, 11:36 AM
..."any gun, anywhere, anytime’ ideology.

And they think there's something wrong with 'any gun, anywhere, anytime"?

Sheet, sounds like a new slogan for me.

radioman
07-17-2009, 11:45 AM
I just called Boxer and then Finestine, and I told them I am a Democrat, now for 34 year. my 86 year old mom is a democrat, my dad was a democrat and my grand dad was a democrat, I told them that I think it is shameful how Sotomayor is tap dancing and not forthcoming with her answers. and if they put her on the bench I will never vote for a democrat ever for the rest my life! the # for boxer is 415 403 0100, finestine is 415 393 0707. if any of you are dems call, make your voice herd. tell them if they vote her in, you are out.

CalNRA
07-17-2009, 11:53 AM
And they think there's something wrong with 'any gun, anywhere, anytime"?

Sheet, sounds like a new slogan for me.

sounds like the Springfield slogan, "any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range"

Gator Monroe
07-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I just called Boxer and then Finestine, and I told them I am a Democrat, now for 34 year. my 86 year old mom is a democrat, my dad was a democrat and my grand dad was a democrat, I told them that I think it is shameful how Sotomayor is tap dancing and not forthcoming with her answers. and if they put her on the bench I will never vote for a democrat ever for the rest my life! the # for boxer is 415 403 0100, finestine is 415 393 0707. if any of you are dems call, make your voice herd. tell them if they vote her in, you are out.

Only 20% of the Democrat posters here at CGN would go as far as you with this and thats a shame .

radioman
07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Only 20% of the Democrat posters here at CGN would go as far as you with this and thats a shame .

Only 25% of the colonist took up the fight for freedom, I'll take what I can get.

Gator Monroe
07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Only 25% of the colonist took up the fight for freedom, I'll take what I can get.

But at least a Colonial freedom fighter would admit to being so , but CGN Dem Libs would never admit to their Friends & co-workers that they have abandoned the Democrat party completely over 2A issues.:sleeping:

bigcalidave
07-17-2009, 12:40 PM

That implies there are at least 5 ??

lol... jk

radioman
07-17-2009, 1:11 PM
But at least a Colonial freedom fighter would admit to being so , but CGN Dem Libs would never admit to their Friends & co-workers that they have abandoned the Democrat party completely over 2A issues.:sleeping:

It's more then just 2A, it's all of the bill of rights, and this is the line in the sand.
and if I have to abandoned my party to protect all of our freedom, it is but a small price to pay.

PEBKAC
07-17-2009, 1:22 PM
Until you can pull up a verifiable study from which to pull these numbers, I'm going to call "sweeping generalization without supporting facts". :)

But at least a Colonial freedom fighter would admit to being so , but CGN Dem Libs would never admit to their Friends & co-workers that they have abandoned the Democrat party completely over 2A issues.

Again, your supporting evidence for this statement is where?

Remember, we are supposed to be better about the whole "having facts to back up what we say" thing than the gun-grabbers. ;)

07-17-2009, 1:49 PM
Did you just say the O word? :p

O? Did I just said O?
OMG, this is heresy!

http://www.channel4.com/news/microsites/D/dispatches_torture/images/spanish.jpg

Everyone knows Sotomayor nominated herself to the SCOTUS, O has nothing to do with it! ;)

bodger
07-17-2009, 1:52 PM
It's more then just 2A, it's all of the bill of rights, and this is the line in the sand.
and if I have to abandoned my party to protect all of our freedom, it is but a small price to pay.

Whaddya mean IF..??

Sorry, couldn't resist.

07-17-2009, 1:56 PM

Welcome to the Dark Side, young Skywalker.

http://climateprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/cheney-vader-small.jpg

:D

lomalinda
07-17-2009, 2:04 PM
Statements like "But at least a Colonial freedom fighter would admit to being so , but CGN Dem Libs would never admit to their Friends & co-workers that they have abandoned the Democrat party completely over 2A issues."

and others keep popping up. I know it's hard to hold back the "I told you so's", but keep in mind the following:

If people who voted for Barack "Mo Money" Obama are now realizing it was a mistake, good for them. Antagonizing them is exactly what the Left wants because it divides the firearms community. Let's just let bygones be just that, and move forward against the anti's with a united front.

MolonLabe2008
07-17-2009, 5:41 PM
She is a dingbat.

She was asked directly, by Senator Coburn, if he has "a right to personal self defense."

And Sotomayor said...

"I'm trying to think if I remember a case where the Supreme Court has addressed that particular question 'is there a Constitutional right to self defense.' And I can't think of one. I could be wrong."
--- Sonia Sotomayor

HELLER! Hello?!?! Anyone Home?!?!?

If she can't remember a land mark case that was ruled on just over a year ago that addresses this very issue, then she is unfit and unqualified to set on the bench.

I hope all those people who voted for the person that nominated her are happy. :mad:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mysu0u33_lU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mysu0u33_lU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gator Monroe
07-17-2009, 5:50 PM
Statements like "But at least a Colonial freedom fighter would admit to being so , but CGN Dem Libs would never admit to their Friends & co-workers that they have abandoned the Democrat party completely over 2A issues."

and others keep popping up. I know it's hard to hold back the "I told you so's", but keep in mind the following:

If people who voted for Barack "Mo Money" Obama are now realizing it was a mistake, good for them. Antagonizing them is exactly what the Left wants because it divides the firearms community. Let's just let bygones be just that, and move forward against the anti's with a united front.

Let's just let bygones like other posters here voting for Anti's because ,well thats better than the alternative or lack thereof ? I think any poster here who elevates other issues above 2A when it comes time to vote in future is not working within CGN or in their community to protect RTKBA .

radioman
07-17-2009, 5:52 PM
She is a dingbat.

She was asked directly, by Senator Coburn, if he has "a right to personal self defense."

And Sotomayor said...

HELLER! Hello?!?! Anyone Home?!?!?

If she can't remember a land mark case that was ruled on just over a year ago that addresses this very issue, then she is unfit and unqualified to set on the bench.

I hope all those people who voted for the person that nominated her are happy. :mad:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mysu0u33_lU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mysu0u33_lU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY POINT, DUMB AS A STUMP

lomalinda
07-17-2009, 6:53 PM
"DUMB AS A STUMP"

Not in the least. She very skillfully avoided answering Coburn's question by turning it into an "abstract" issue, which largely nullified his approach. In other words, she made it sound like the question is supremely complicated and cannot be answered without further research etc.

We all know this insulin-insensitive fraud is full of crap--she's not for self-defense any more than she is for a racially-blind approach to employee promotions. But she's not stupid, even if lots of her followers happen to be.

Sunwolf
07-17-2009, 6:55 PM
I was a lifelong Democat until 1994,that year was the breaking point for me.

Gator Monroe
07-17-2009, 6:56 PM
"DUMB AS A STUMP"

Not in the least. She very skillfully avoided answering Coburn's question by turning it into an "abstract" issue, which largely nullified his approach. In other words, she made it sound like the question is supremely complicated and cannot be answered without further research etc.

We all know this insulin-insensitive fraud is full of crap--she's not for self-defense any more than she is for a racially-blind approach to employee promotions. But she's not stupid, even if lots of her followers happen to be.

two weeks !

MolonLabe2008
07-17-2009, 7:00 PM
I was a lifelong Democat until 1994,that year was the breaking point for me.

Ah, yes! The Republican revolution.

radioman
07-17-2009, 7:29 PM
Ah, yes! The Republican revolution.

I'm getting to the point

Shane916
07-17-2009, 7:38 PM
I would donate money to the representative that asks her on the record if she is retarded.

Gator Monroe
07-17-2009, 7:43 PM
I'm getting to the point

I was a George Wallace Democrat , but I was too young to vote .:mad:

radioman
07-17-2009, 7:49 PM
I was a George Wallace Democrat , but I was too young to vote .:mad:

Gator I'm 52 how old are you

Gator Monroe
07-17-2009, 7:53 PM
Gator I'm 52 how old are you

1959 ! But I liked how George did in 1972 Dem primaries, especially Florida (a win) and how he was picked by Time Magazine & put on cover as next President, it really caught my imagination as a 12 year old ...

radioman
07-17-2009, 7:58 PM
I was impressed with nixon, up untill watergate, if he would have just steped to the plate

Gator Monroe
07-17-2009, 8:01 PM
I was impressed with nixon, up untill watergate, if he would have just steped to the plate

I think Patton or I shall return Mac woulda been beter GOP Presidents than Ike .

radioman
07-17-2009, 8:07 PM
I think Patton or I shall return Mac woulda been beter GOP Presidents than Ike .

him and his damm free ways.

Gator Monroe
07-17-2009, 8:11 PM
him and his damm free ways.

I liked his tunnel though .:p

radioman
07-17-2009, 8:19 PM
I liked his tunnel though .:p

we are getting off point on this one.