PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve?

Kram12085
07-17-2009, 4:51 AM
I'm currently an Army Guard guy in Iraq and I'm considering going over to the blue side when I ETS. If anyone here in Cali is with the ANG or AFR, I'd like to know a bit about the jobs and local units. Thanks.

jayfarley3
07-20-2009, 8:31 PM
Im active duty Airforce, I dont know a lot about the units in CA, but if you have any questions about certain career fields or other general Airforce questions I could probably answer them.

anhero
07-21-2009, 8:53 AM
Reservist with AF, I can also probably answer some questions for you.

Kram12085
07-21-2009, 9:28 AM
Thanks for the responses. What are your jobs?

The job I'm currently looking at is Loadmaster, since I want to fly and travel as much as possible. Is there any other job I should also take a look at?

I also noticed the AFR has a lot of EOD openings much closer to me than the Army. Anyone have experience as or working with AFEOD? I'd also be interested in TACP, SOWT and possibly CCT but it looks like the closest unit is in Washington. Is there any unit with those jobs in Cali?

Finally, does the AFR/ANG train its own pilots or do they mostly take prior-AD pilots? Thanks for the help.

jayfarley3
07-23-2009, 8:15 PM
I'm an aircraft electrician 2a656.

What kind of planes does the unit have you are trying to go to? If you want to fly as enlisted you could be a loadmaster, flight engineer or aerial refueling depending on the type of aircraft.

I dont know about those other jobs in CA but if you go Guard you can be a PJ at Moffet field.

Kram12085
07-24-2009, 1:59 AM
What kind of planes does the unit have you are trying to go to? If you want to fly as enlisted you could be a loadmaster, flight engineer or aerial refueling depending on the type of aircraft.

I believe there's an Airlift, Recon, Combat Commo and Refueling wing all withing driving distance of LA. There's also the Fighter and Rescue wing up north. That's just for the ANG, I'm not sure what the AFR has around me.