PDA

View Full Version : Glock Magazine Release

usctrojan
07-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Anyone have thoughts on the Sure Touch Magazine Release and the Sure Touch Slide Release? Has anyone used these and had an easier time with speed reloads? My thumb is a little short on the g21. How does it compare to the Glock factory extended release?

Are these parts appropriate for tactical situations? I don't want an accidental mag or slide drop in a tactical situation.

http://www.arotek.com/Default.aspx

BamBam-31
07-17-2009, 1:07 AM
From Arotek's website:

Requires Custom Installation at our facility 2 day turnaround.

So you gotta include shipping both ways on top of the $60 for their extended mag release. That's pricey.

I have T.H.E. extended mag releases (http://www.topglock.com/category/1668-Glock_Extended_Controls.aspx) on my G17, G34, and G21sf, and they work well. It's a DIY part as far as installation goes, and it does indeed speed up your reloads. The great thing about it is that it extends back towards the backstrap so you can reach the release w/o canting the pistol. The OEM extended mag release, IINM, is just longer (meaning it sticks out a bit further).

I wouldn't use an extended mag release on a pistol that's to be holstered for duty/CCW use. All that daily shifting around might depress the extended release just enough to unseat the mag. If it's for range/games/home use, it should be fine.

The extended slide releases are less of an issue, IMHO. Go w/ whatever works for you, but the OEM extended slide release is cheap and effective. Just the right size, too. Not too big, not too small, just enough material to get the job done. I wouldn't spend the extra bucks on the Arotek, personally.

hybridatsun350
07-17-2009, 1:20 AM
I've got the factory Glock extended controls on my 34, and both work great for me. The slide release is extended just enough to make for comfortable and easy operation. The extended mag release is a lot better than the standard one, but it wouldn't be any better than the standard one if my hands were any smaller. I can almost depress the standard release without changing my grip and the extended one allows me to do that. Personally, I wouldn't want to send my gun out to them to have the parts installed. Have you messed around with a Glock that has the factory extended controls installed?

Quiet
07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
In regards to Glocks...
It's a slide stop not a slide release.
Gaston Glock designed it with the thinking that the user pulls back on the slide to release the slide, not use the slide stop to release the slide.
Hence, the reason why the slide stop is small compared to other pistols' slide release.

cal3gunner
07-17-2009, 2:27 PM
you can buy a glock or wolf extended mag release button for just a couple of dollars. I would buy that before buying one of the more expensive fancy ones.

I use an extended mag release and the standard non extended slide stop. The extended mag release is much better for me on my 17 in my hands. I don't think that an extended mag release will make my reloads any faster. half the time the slide falls on its own when i shove a loaded mag in there, if it doesn't, i've got my finger on the button ready to go. I don't think I've ever messed up a reload from not hitting the slide stop just right.

Spend 5 bucks for the extended mag release including shipping and just practice your reloads at home with dummy rounds to make the mags have realistic weight.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-17-2009, 2:37 PM
In regards to Glocks...
It's a slide stop not a slide release.
Gaston Glock designed it with the thinking that the user pulls back on the slide to release the slide, not use the slide stop to release the slide.
Hence, the reason why the slide stop is small compared to other pistols' slide release.

True. But I *did* install the factory extended on my CCW G30 to use during one hand/weak hand drills. Exigent circumstances and all that....

jazman
07-17-2009, 2:52 PM
Last couple of hand guns I shipped were about $65.00 each way, so this would be an expensive proposition...

cal3gunner
07-17-2009, 3:12 PM
why did you pay $65 for shipping?

5hundo
07-17-2009, 3:20 PM
I sometimes think about putting an extended release on my 22C but then I think it might be too big and cause the mag to release when I don't want it to...

I'm still debating whether or not I want to install one...