PDA

View Full Version : Copies of your handgun registrations

chefdude
07-16-2009, 11:05 PM
How do I get registration copies of my firearms. They are legal and registered, but if I want to cross state lines without hassel, do I need some sort of documentation. Like taking a trip to NV, AZ, NM or UT...

aermotor
07-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Just ask your FFL I think...

Doheny
07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
See number 27:

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#26

cousinkix1953
07-17-2009, 12:34 AM
How do I get registration copies of my firearms. They are legal and registered, but if I want to cross state lines without hassel, do I need some sort of documentation. Like taking a trip to NV, AZ, NM or UT...
Those are pro-gun free states. You'll be hassled at dur checkpoint, when you come home with your guns..

JDay
07-17-2009, 12:37 AM
You don't need it, just look up the federal peaceable journey law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States#Transporting_Firearms

Transporting Firearms

* Firearms are prohibited on property in any K-12 school.

* A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

* Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in a locked container. In vehicles without a locked container, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked box other than the glove compartment or console.[5]

* Federal law prohibits the carrying of any firearm, concealed or unconcealed, on or about the person or in carry-on baggage while aboard a commercial aircraft. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has established certain requirements for transporting firearms and ammunition. Firearms must be carried in a locked hard sided case. Ammunition must be declared and can be transported in checked baggage or in the same container as the firearm as long the firearm is unloaded.

* Any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce must deliver the unloaded firearm into custody of the pilot, captain, conductor, or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip.

This covers you even if you have to travel through states where the firearm is not legal so long as you don't make any extended stops (longer then a rest/food stop) while traveling through.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/926A.html

926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

ETA: If you're traveling into a free state you can usually load up once you cross into the state.

Untamed1972
07-17-2009, 8:13 AM

AZ has no registration laws and unrestricted PPT so there is nothing for AZ LEOs to check. They could run the serial number I suppose to see if it had reported stolen perhaps but that's about it.

And in AZ LOC is a state constitutional right, so you can load that baby up and strap it openly on your hip and walk around with it on all day long if you want too!

dustoff31
07-17-2009, 8:18 AM

Man you need to get yourself over to one of the free states for de-programming.

TerryC
07-17-2009, 8:25 AM
Arizona is a pro-gun State however they do have some restrictions. I plan on retiring there. I would suggest people read chapter 31 weapons and explosives located here : http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=13

CHS
07-17-2009, 9:21 AM

Waste of time and energy and totally pointless.

MasterYong
07-17-2009, 9:22 AM
And in AZ LOC is a state constitutional right, so you can load that baby up and strap it openly on your hip and walk around with it on all day long if you want too!

Is that really true?

I'm going to AZ in August to train some sales reps for the satellite office my company is opening up, and I knew I could have fun there but really? I can be safe too? Who knew?

I'll check out the link another post provided (http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=13) too... this is good news!

CHS
07-17-2009, 9:27 AM
Is that really true?

I don't know if it's a "State Constitutional Right" to LOC, but it's certainly legal. I've done it many times on trips to AZ.

Untamed1972
07-17-2009, 9:34 AM
I don't know if it's a "State Constitutional Right" to LOC, but it's certainly legal. I've done it many times on trips to AZ.

Arizona Constitution on the right to keep and bear arms

Arizona Constitution: Article 2, Section 26

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the State shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men."

Source: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/const/2/26.htm

Actually....I believe it is. :)

dustoff31
07-17-2009, 9:41 AM

Yes, it is.

Article 2, Arizona Constitution.

Section 26. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men

TheBundo
07-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Man you need to get yourself over to one of the free states for de-programming.

LOL, no kidding. As soon as you cross into America, load 'er up, toss it up on the dash..............

Silverback
07-19-2009, 1:55 PM
See number 27:

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#26

Just to be clear - I think this thread got a little off track. It sounds like you were asking for copies for evidence just in case some LEO asks:

1. How do I know this is really your gun?
2. How do I know you are not lying to me?
3. How do I know that you didn't just rob .....?
4. How do I know .......

I have never had a problem with LEOs in any other state. However, we all know that there are a few jerks out there who will play games, especially with folks from CA.

If you didn't get copies of the DROS/receipt when you purchased the handgun then post #2 and #3 should work. Some I know have gone so far as to take pictures and have the information notarized and carry it with them when they travel. Seems like too much work to me.

chefdude
07-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Thank you silverback!!!!! thanks guys!

Doheny
07-20-2009, 12:58 AM
If a cop wants to know if you're the owner of a gun, he'll just run the serial number. It should only take a couple of minutes; I don't really see a reason to carry paperwork.

Big Jake
07-20-2009, 1:25 PM
If you are carrying your personal firearms for personal use and are not going to sell them (I.E. conducting interstate commerce) then you do not need registartion info. as long as the guns are registered to you any LEO can run the serial numbers through the federal data base and they would come back registered to you.

The states you mentioned traveling to are very pro-gun so you should have no problems. Especially in Arizona!

CHS
07-20-2009, 1:48 PM
If you are carrying your personal firearms for personal use and are not going to sell them (I.E. conducting interstate commerce) then you do not need registartion info. as long as the guns are registered to you any LEO can run the serial numbers through the federal data base and they would come back registered to you.

What federal database?

There is no federal database of handgun registration info.

There is only a federal database of stolen serial numbers/crime gun serial numbers.

Most states don't have any kind of firearms registration at all.

Riodog
07-20-2009, 2:05 PM

The states you mentioned traveling to are very pro-gun so you should have no problems. Especially in Arizona!

Could someone please tell me where all this BS, FUD, or mis-information comes from. Do you people stay up all night just to think up this garbage???

This website is known for it's wealth of factual information to keep one on the correct side of the law. If you don't know for a fact that what you post is correct then (close your ears Kest cuz you ain't gonna approve) kindly keep your hallucinations to yourself.
Rio

Librarian
07-20-2009, 4:06 PM
Let's keep the hallucinations out of this - the colors are always too bright for me.

It is, however, true that there is no Federal database of firearms registered. BATF has wanted that for years, and the funding for it has been cut every time it gets proposed.

The way things are supposed to work (knowing that there are significant variations) is that a fine law-abiding citizen takes his/her legally owned firearm with him/her to a place where that is legal conduct, does only lawful things, and therefore never comes to the attention of law enforcement.

Should such citizen have a LEO encounter, said LEO should correctly evaluate 'probable cause', and, if finding none, politely allow the citizen to go about his/her business.

Absent probable cause to arrest, there's really no need to see or investigate the citizen's firearms -- simple possession and legal use of a firearm is not probable cause.

Yes, that's a bit of a fantasy.