PDA

View Full Version : How much does your guy charge for FFL transfers?

NorCalGuy
03-02-2005, 11:16 AM
How much are people in the Bay Area paying for FFL transfers? Please share...

(For those unclear...FFL transfer refers to ordering a gun and having it shipped, not a private party transfer - which is both parties present).

NorCalGuy
03-02-2005, 11:16 AM
How much are people in the Bay Area paying for FFL transfers? Please share...

(For those unclear...FFL transfer refers to ordering a gun and having it shipped, not a private party transfer - which is both parties present).

bwiese
03-02-2005, 11:54 AM
I've used Krausewerk in San Mateo awhile back in 2002 to get my Glock 21 via GunBroker.

Back then he charged 10% of the Shotgun News, GunBroker, etc. price with a $50 minimum. DROS fees, sales tax, etc. are all extra.

That may have gone up a tad - esp since mandated safety demos for handguns eat up a dealer's staff time.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Turbinator
03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
At the risk of sounding like a living advertisement for this guy, I feel compelled to promote once again Rob Blank of Milpitas, CA. He charges $40 + DROS, and you can reach him at rmbent@aol.com

Just a happy customer - not connected in any other way.

Yes - this is for transfers that you are receiving from out of state, where both parties are NOT present.

Turby

Richard
03-02-2005, 1:18 PM
Question on this subject....If I'm having a gun shipped from a builder to an FFL of my choice...am I required to pay taxes on this?

I've been inquiring with FFL's around here in SOCAL and they want to charge me $100 for the process (DROS ,storage fees,his fees),which I feel is a little high...I asked the flunkie behind the counter about sales tax and he did not know whether they applied.......I'm in the San Gabriel Valley , does anyone know of a good and reasonable FFL around here?

Lon Moer
03-02-2005, 2:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Turbinator:
At the risk of sounding like a living advertisement for this guy, I feel compelled to promote once again Rob Blank of Milpitas, CA. He charges $40 + DROS, and you can reach him at rmbent@aol.com

Just a happy customer - not connected in any other way.

Yes - this is for transfers that you are receiving from out of state, where both parties are NOT present.

Turby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rob Blank is the man! I've been dealing with him for ~5 years, and he's a cool guy too.

GTKrockeTT
03-02-2005, 2:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard:
Question on this subject....If I'm having a gun shipped from a builder to an FFL of my choice...am I required to pay taxes on this?

I've been inquiring with FFL's around here in SOCAL and they want to charge me $100 for the process (DROS ,storage fees,his fees),which I feel is a little high...I asked the flunkie behind the counter about sales tax and he did not know whether they applied.......I'm in the San Gabriel Valley , does anyone know of a good and reasonable FFL around here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard...Whittier Pawn used to charge a flat rate of $50, DROS included. You should get in touch with them and see if the price is still the same.

GTKrockeTT
03-02-2005, 2:27 PM
regarding the sales tax, or use tax...some dealers have wanted to charge me upfront for it. but, if the gun is used, i don't see how the FFL dealer can assign a definitive value to it. regardless, i won't transfer with a FFL if they require this upfront, i'll find another who won't ask for it. it will then be up to me and the IRS gods whether or not i declare the purchase come tax season.

C.G.
03-02-2005, 5:18 PM
Outdoors World on Central Coast also charges $50 for everything for out of state transfers.

fastmanusa
03-02-2005, 6:38 PM
I know I am going to receiver all sorts of crap for this. But California FFL are price daggers. My Dad pays $10 plus his state background check.

NorCalGuy
03-02-2005, 8:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fastmanusa:
I know I am going to receiver all sorts of crap for this. But California FFL are price daggers. My Dad pays $10 plus his state background check. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I frequent a few internet gun boards and it seems that here in CA we're shafted ina big way. My local guns stores are so outrageously high it's laughable. And when you call someone (someone without a retail store mind you) and they wnt 80 bucks + DROS to transfer that's just wrong.

Turbinator
03-02-2005, 9:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard:
Question on this subject....If I'm having a gun shipped from a builder to an FFL of my choice...am I required to pay taxes on this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Warning: Another Rob Blank blabber from me...

I asked Rob Blank this question about taxes, outlining it this way - assuming I pay the seller out of state, have the gun shipped to Rob, and all he does is the receiving and DROS, then I do not need to pay any CA sales tax on the gun itself for this transaction.

If Rob is buying the gun, then reselling it to me, then I need to pay sales tax.

Turby

maxicon
03-03-2005, 10:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fastmanusa:
I know I am going to receiver all sorts of crap for this. But California FFL are price daggers. My Dad pays $10 plus his state background check. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that many California FFLs overcharge, but I can't see how they could get by charging $10, due to the high overhead imposed by the state. 2 paperwork sessions, multiple forms, safe-handling demo for handguns, all adds up to an hour or more of someone's time.

Yes, it bites, but it's not all the FFL's fault. Other states, they phone in the background check, you fill out the 4473, pay, and walk out. 15 minutes, maybe.

As for the FFLs who charge excessive amounts - $80, $100, or whatever - they're dealing with stuff like Internet competition, people who will window-shop, then order online, etc. I don't agree that this is the best way to handle it, but I can understand why they'd decide to do this.

I believe that fair prices and good customer service makes for better long-term relations, but California gun sales is a tough business to be in.

fastmanusa
03-03-2005, 3:28 PM
They are not all that bad there is a guy here in the Sacramento area that charges $25 including DROS

jon.ocab@gmail.com
03-03-2005, 3:40 PM
I've used Whittier Pawn. $50 total.

Only place I could find within an hour's drive that would accept a firearm that wasn't coming from an FFL.

Richard
03-03-2005, 6:11 PM
thanks ..I'll give Whittier a look.

maxicon
03-04-2005, 11:22 AM
They are not all that bad there is a guy here in the Sacramento area that charges $25 including DROS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't DROS and safety fees $25 now?

bagdrag
03-04-2005, 8:23 PM
Give these people a call.High Desert arms (http://www.intheav.com/avbusiness/highdesertstormsportingarms/highdesertstormsportingarms.html).

Tony

fastmanusa
03-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Im sorry I meant $25 plus DROS

Lon Moer
03-05-2005, 4:18 PM
Im sorry I meant $25 plus DROS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And thats $50. Here in the Bay Area, we're paying ~$60, total. One other factor on these cost's, is here in Kali. a FFL has to have a store front operation, and office space cost's can vary around the state. For example, RMB Enterprise's (Rob Blank) in Milpitas and MBI in Aptos, are both run out of Real Estate business's.

spendbabyspend
03-10-2005, 1:50 AM
City Arms charged me $70 for an out of state transfer. Since I can literally hit their shop with a rock, the convenience factor is great. Jackson Arms wouldn't do out of state for whatever reason. I saved so much buying out of state that I'm still saving money even at $70 so I'm not complaining. I'm glad to have a local gun shop.

03-10-2005, 7:29 AM
Bagdrag,
Are you in the A.V.? I give another thumbs up for High Desert Storm.

Jase858
03-11-2005, 6:47 PM
I went into Kerley's (Sunnyvale/Cupertino) yesterday to grab an FFL for an R22 and asked about a long gun transfer fee....

The guy quoted me at $150!!!!! That kind of stunned me because I had my .50 reciever transferred by them and they only charged me $50 for that. What the F**K???!?!

Fjold
03-11-2005, 6:54 PM
$30 including DROS

Inoxmark
03-11-2005, 7:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$30 including DROS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Is this for anyone or a special deal for you only?

icormba
03-11-2005, 7:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jase858:
I went into Kerley's (Sunnyvale/Cupertino) yesterday to grab an FFL for an R22 and asked about a long gun transfer fee....

The guy quoted me at $150!!!!! That kind of stunned me because I had my .50 reciever transferred by them and they only charged me $50 for that. What the F**K???!?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last year it was $80 flat rate, not including DROS.

Jase858
03-11-2005, 7:40 PM
Oops....Just checked the reciept...$65.00 for transfer of the reciever....

hamloian
03-11-2005, 9:46 PM
Whittier Loan on Whittier Blvd. $60 including DROS ..... No taxes. Talk to Saun....

icormba
03-12-2005, 12:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coffee-man:
Whittier Loan on Whittier Blvd. $60 including DROS ..... No taxes. Talk to Saun.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what city?

rkt88edmo
03-12-2005, 7:26 AM
I am guessing it will be the city of Whittier, near LA.

hamloian
03-12-2005, 7:32 AM
icormba,

Here is the address and phone #. He is a great guy to work with. Tell Sean Harry sent you.

Sean Wagner
Whittier Loan and Jewelry
13575 Whittier blvd
Whittier, CA 90605
phone: 562-696-0370
fax: 562-696-1511

Fjold
03-12-2005, 8:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inoxmark:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$30 including DROS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Is this for anyone or a special deal for you only? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bear Mountain Sports in Arvin California. The owner had a home FFL but he is opening a store right now. I never asked for any special deal, I just buy a lot of guns.

Rumpled
03-14-2005, 6:01 PM
For those in OC, I'll recommend Ade's Gun Shop in Orange as others have.
A shipped in gunbroker handgun cost me $70 in fees to Ade. $25 of that was my HSC since I had to get that finally.
So, his charge was $45 - that includes DROS fees.
Real reasonabale guy, said if I want anything new to see what he could do, and if he couldn't beat it would still do a transfer.
The only caveat is he has slightly spotty hours.

Ones I don't recommend
On-Target in Laguna Niguel - won't allow any shipins and if told me flat out if you want a FTF, they'll pretty much take two hours to do it.
Firing Line in HB - If you want to shipin something that they can get, and you're not a member $150 plus tax. That's just robbery! On some other things, they add 18% of the cost, plus fees.

I understand all the economics of being a FFL in CA, but when they go to extortion just to make sure they get the profit - I go elsewhwere.

TonyNorCal
03-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Firing Line in HB actually seems to have decent prices on things they order for you. Not saying they always will (I had maybe 3 quotes from them). Call and get a quote on what you're looking for. Gary is the man to speak to.

I agree that $150 for a transfer is insane. Typically you'll find many retail establishments charge a premium as transfers cut into their bottom line. Lots of good feedback on Ade. Also when I used Davidsons to search for guns in that area Saddleback Valley Gun Center routinely came up on the low end, but again, that's buying from them.

Josh
03-15-2005, 1:57 AM
ades gun shop for me.

$50 including DROS which I think is really reasonable.

Though his prices are usually good enough that I buy straight from him.

I tried whittier pawn, didnt have a good experience. Luckily becuase of them I tried ade's next.

xsquid
03-15-2005, 9:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spendbabyspend:
City Arms charged me $70 for an out of state transfer. Since I can literally hit their shop with a rock, the convenience factor is great. Jackson Arms wouldn't do out of state for whatever reason. I saved so much buying out of state that I'm still saving money even at $70 so I'm not complaining. I'm glad to have a local gun shop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before Dmitriy opened up a shop the total cost for an out of state transfer was $40 - which included DROS. I'm guessing he's trying to recoup the higher overhead of maintaining a store-front, which I can't really blame him for.

AK NUT
03-17-2005, 3:04 PM
I'm from another state,what is meant by DEROS? It sounds like some kind of fee. Thanks.

AK NUT
03-17-2005, 3:06 PM
I really meant DROS.

xsquid
03-17-2005, 3:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AK NUT:
I really meant DROS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DealerRecordOfSale which fees covers the costs of the background checks and transfer registry

only10rds
03-17-2005, 8:55 PM
What is Rob Blank's address?
Does he have a cell, business or fax number?
Does he conduct business on Saturday?
What are his business hours?

Bang
03-18-2005, 8:42 AM
rob blank is a super cool guy. just met with him 2 days ago. had to catch him before he left to start my paperwork. he is actually out of town until he end of the month, the 30th. his office is at

1000 jacklin rd
milpitas.

send him an email RMBENT@aol.com. he responds fairly quickly. i for one will be using his services in the future

joneil
03-18-2005, 9:11 AM
Ricahrd,

I've found that some FFL's in th area do charge a lot of money for these transfers. I shopped around with some FFL's in my area and found one who was charging around $60. Might be a little bit of a hassle to look around, but might save you some $.

Blue
03-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Michaels gun shop in Dublin charged me $10+DROS for a handgun transfer from my buddy to me. I think DROS was 25 so I thought the price was pretty good. If you want them to mail their FFL out its a little more.

TonyNorCal
03-19-2005, 11:00 AM
There's a difference between a transfer when both parties are physically present and those when the gun is received by the shop (via mail) and transferred to you.

In the first case, a person-to-person transfer, state law limits fees to $35.

In the second, commonly referred to as an FFL transfer, there is a DROS fee (which I believe is $25 or 27 now ) and then the shop or FFL dealer can charge you whatever they want for their end. Thus, it's best to shop around.

vicb
06-18-2010, 2:44 PM
How much does Turners charge?

alpalwal
06-18-2010, 2:50 PM
I just paid $75 for a mail transfer down at UG Imports. Big +1 to Anthony down there.

mbna1@hotmail.com
07-02-2010, 4:14 PM
How much does Turners charge?

- they "don't do this anylonger" per the Hawthorne store. (july 02, 2010)

- retting, culver city: $100
- SharpShooter Indoor Range, Hawthorne: $75
- Ammo Bros, Cerritos + Rancho Cucamonga: $75

slomofo
07-02-2010, 4:36 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of Big 5 will do transfers? There's a B5 like two blocks from my house and the next nearest FFL is 5 miles away in a crappy part of town.

My FFL charges $25 per weapon. For C&R weapons, I use a guy who has a C&R license, but works at home. He charges $25 for the first C&R of the year and $5 per additional; he won't do more than 5 at a time though, I asked him if it would be okay to bring in a crate of Mosins and he said no.