PDA

View Full Version : Latest news on Sacramento CCW policy?

thefinger
07-16-2009, 1:23 PM
Dear Calguns,

I've been hearing a lot of conflicting reports from both internet and word-of-mouth sources about Sac County Sheriff CCW issuance policy changes (or lack thereof).

First, I heard McGuiness say (about 3 weeks ago) that he would issue more permits if the county had to lay-off deputies.

Then I read the statement from about a week ago that the county put out saying there was no change in policy.

Now, I hear from one of my friends (a Sac County deputy) that he heard McGuiness on the radio this Monday saying that he was going to start issuing more.

Does anyone have a better handle on whats going on?

Best Regards,

Most Confused :confused:

Decoligny
07-16-2009, 1:47 PM
Dear Calguns,

I've been hearing a lot of conflicting reports from both internet and word-of-mouth sources about Sac County Sheriff CCW issuance policy changes (or lack thereof).

First, I heard McGuiness say (about 3 weeks ago) that he would issue more permits if the county had to lay-off deputies.

Then I read the statement from about a week ago that the county put out saying there was no change in policy.

Now, I hear from one of my friends (a Sac County deputy) that he heard McGuiness on the radio this Monday saying that he was going to start issuing more.

Does anyone have a better handle on whats going on?

Best Regards,

Most Confused :confused:

He used the threat of issuing more permits to extort more money from the county supervisors too keep more cops on the job.

They caved and came up with more money, so it looks as though he will NOT be issuing any additional permits.

edited to show "County" vice "City"

CSDGuy
07-16-2009, 2:28 PM
Yep... except that it was the Sacramento Board of Supervisors (not the Sacramento City Council) that ordered that $10 million be found... so that about $70 patrol positions can be saved. That still means that there's going to be at least 130 positions still eliminated and a LOT of their specialty teams are still going to be part of regular patrol.

If the $10 million can't be found, then the whoel 200+ Patrol Deputy positions will be gone. With the SSD down even 70 positions, they're still going to have some reductions in number of deputies on the street or they're going to be paying for a LOT of overtime... which they'll have to find funding for.

CSDGuy
07-16-2009, 2:30 PM
That also means that it's VERY likely that CCW License policies will not be changing any time soon... unless those policies are forced to change.

porkchop
07-16-2009, 6:04 PM
The latest news regarding Sacramento CCW policy: You're not getting one. Nothing has changed. Submit an application and prepare to be........

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.872884595a.gif

thebronze
07-16-2009, 7:23 PM
What PorkChop said...

stuckinhippytown
07-16-2009, 7:28 PM
Isnt there a lawsuit in action over this issue against Sac county

hoffmang
07-16-2009, 7:30 PM
Please see Sykes v. McGinness (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Sykes_v._McGinness).

-Gene

CSDGuy
07-16-2009, 7:49 PM
If Sheriff McGinness changes policy to become much closer to "Shall Issue", it'll be in an attempt to moot that case.

Flying Bones
07-16-2009, 8:11 PM
It's too bad.

yellowfin
07-16-2009, 8:15 PM
The latest news regarding Sacramento CCW policy: You're not getting one. Nothing has changed. Submit an application and prepare to be........

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.872884595a.gif
Then sue them and get your CCW and a new car or house.

hoffmang
07-16-2009, 8:24 PM
Then sue them and get your CCW and a new car or house.

You can almost never recover more than nominal money damages in Constitutional claims.

-Gene

yellowfin
07-16-2009, 9:45 PM
What are the circumstances which almost never happen which do lead to a punitive damages payout?

7x57
07-16-2009, 10:53 PM
You can almost never recover more than nominal money damages in Constitutional claims.

Unless you're one of the lawyers. Has Alan Gura bought a yacht bigger than Larry Ellison's yet? :rolleyes:

7x57

N6ATF
07-16-2009, 11:18 PM
If Sheriff McGinness changes policy to become much closer to "Shall Issue", it'll be in an attempt to moot that case.

What's to stop him or the next sheriff going back to treason to force a whole new case, after mooting? Or would the original case just be reactivated if they did that?

Gray Peterson
07-16-2009, 11:26 PM
This is why mooting cases is rather disfavored by the federal courts. Usually, there's an attempt by the plaintiffs where if the defendant tries to "moot" the case, the plaintiffs will demand a stipulated consent agreement to prevent them from going back and doing the same thing later. If they violate it, the lawsuit gets started back up at the same state as before.

N6ATF
07-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Key letter being the S in defendants. If they don't bind the County, all that has to happen is a change of Sheriff and it's a blank slate.

cousinkix1953
07-17-2009, 12:28 AM
He used the threat of issuing more permits to extort more money from the city counsel too keep more cops on the job.

The city counsel caved and came up with more money, so it looks as though he will NOT be issuing any additional permits.
The sheriff can play this game with the county board of stupidvisors. He is not a city employee and can't shakedown the city council. That would be a dirty job for a sleazy police chief...

A324
07-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Lived in Sacramento County for over 25 years, found it easier to obtain an ice cube from hell then get a CCW in Sac County.

mtptwo
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Ah yes, California, where deadly force is only allowed in cases of self defense or defense of others. Ah yes, California, where good cause for issuance of CCWs is defined as not being "self defense".

hoffmang
07-17-2009, 12:31 PM
What are the circumstances which almost never happen which do lead to a punitive damages payout?

Being beaten to a pulp without probable cause or having your property destroyed are some of the only civil rights cases I'm aware of that one can recover money damages.

-Gene

SacDad
08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
How disappointing from McGuiness. If there are still layoffs, there should still be a change in policy. What a fool I was to take him at his word.:mad: