PDA

View Full Version : Family Transfers

usctrojan
07-16-2009, 2:16 PM
Please don't shoot me for this... but I am about to beat a dead horse as I have read the old poss and still have some confusion. I have called a few gun shops and have been told mixed things. My father is an Arizonan and would like to travel to California to give me a handgun (I don't know if its on the registered list or not). Do I need a FFL to get involved? Can I just fill out this form: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf? Does the gun need to be CA approved?

If I wanted to give my father a handgun how would I go about doing that? Arizona gun shops give me funny looks when I ask them!

Are the rules different if we wanted to give each other long guns?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124237

I am really trying to mind my Ps and Qs as I am an LAPD candidate in backgrounds right now. I am really tempted just to try to get him to pay me back and buy the gun in CA.

lorax3
07-16-2009, 2:19 PM
If your father was a CA resident all you would need to do would be to fill out that form. Since he is not federal law requires transfers of two non-licensed individuals who resides in different states to go through an FFL.

It would still be roster exempt via the intra-familial transfer exemption. An FFL can charge any amount they wish for this type of transfer.

ke6guj
07-16-2009, 2:22 PM
Since your father is an AZ-resident, FEDERAL law requires you to use an FFL to faciltiate the transfer. There is no intrafamily exemption to federal law. So, using that oplaw form will not fix the federal violation.

So, your father needs to bring the firearms to your local dealer, or ship them to the dealer, who will then do a transfer to you. The handguns do not need to be on the Roster, but do need to be CA-legal (no AWs), and can be DROSed as a roster-exempt transfer (per the intrafamily exemption). Long guns just get transfered to you, no roster issues involved.

usctrojan
07-16-2009, 3:05 PM
Do you know if I can take my gun to AZ and give the gun to the dealer to do the FFL and skip the REALLY expensive mailing?

SnipeShot
07-16-2009, 3:08 PM
Just curious if my if my dad passes away and he lives on the east coast what would I have to do to bring his handgun and shotgun to CA legally?

usctrojan
07-16-2009, 3:17 PM
I just spoke to a gun dealer and the mailing costs can be dictated by the receiving party.

usctrojan
07-16-2009, 3:18 PM
Just curious if my if my dad passes away and he lives on the east coast what would I have to do to bring his handgun and shotgun to CA legally?

Passed away relatives changes the rules for California. Call the DOJ and your local ATF.

ke6guj
07-16-2009, 3:24 PM
Do you know if I can take my gun to AZ and give the gun to the dealer to do the FFL and skip the REALLY expensive mailing?

Yes, any firearm you want to transfer to your father, you should be able to just hand-carry into your father's locall FFL and have them transfer them to your father. You could then file a NLIP (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf) form for any handguns you transfered, informing them that they are No Longer In your Possession.

Just curious if my if my dad passes away and he lives on the east coast what would I have to do to bring his handgun and shotgun to CA legally?Different story here. Federal law exempts firearms that are bequethed from needing to use an FFL. AFAIK, CA would still require you to file an oplaw form for the handguns.

usctrojan
10-21-2009, 3:45 PM
So I went through an FFL to transfer the handgun to my father. I have no paperwork to prove this. Am I required by law to file a NLIP (this form requires the missing paperwork)? Thoughts on what to do here? Can I skip the NLIP? No money exchanged hands. Just a gift.

ke6guj
10-21-2009, 8:12 PM
It isn't requred that you do a NLIP. As long as you used an FFL or filed a intrafamily transfer form (if both parties are CA-residents), you've done your duty. If done in CA, the FFL DROS should show your father as the new owner. If done to an out-of-state FFL, then your AFS records would still show that you were the last owner, as far as CA was concerned, so a NLIP may be a good idea in that case.

And, I've heard that the AFS is normally only updated to add the handgun to the new owner's records, and that they don't update your AFS record to show that it was "transfered out of someone's name". If that is the case, and if a NLIP does add a specific notation to the AFS records that you no longer possess the handgun in question, it may be a good idea to file a NLIP even if you do a PPT or an intrafamily transfer report.