PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about "Reserve Deputy"

hoozaru
07-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Anyone here currently in the Reserve deputy/officer Program?

how does it work?

I got the feeling that it's just like volunteer community service, but get to carry on duty.

Besides uniform and weapon, do entry level reserves get to be issued with CCW and carry off duty? Would my time and effort really make the local communities safer?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Glock619
07-16-2009, 3:58 PM
bump, i was just told about this by my coworker.
thought he was talking out of his a**. Didnt know this really existed. Requirements?

hoozaru
07-16-2009, 4:07 PM
bump, i was just told about this by my coworker.
thought he was talking out of his a**. Didnt know this really existed. Requirements?

1.Be a United States Citizen.
2.At the time of appointment, be at least 20 years of age.
3.Be a high school graduate or equivalent.
4.Possess a valid California Class "C" Driver's License or higher.
5.Be gainfully employed or a full time student.
6.Be available to attend the Sheriff's Department Reserve Academy North Academy (College of the Canyons)
*Sundays (0700 to 1700 hrs.),
*Tuesday and Thursday (1800 to 2200 hrs.)
South Academy (STARS Center, Whittier)
*Sundays (0700 to 1700 hrs.)
*Monday and Wednesdays (1800 to 2200 hrs.)
7.Be willing to subscribe to the oath of affirmation of allegiance for public employees.
8.Be in good physical condition, free from disease or defects that would interfere with the satisfactory
performance of the duties of this position.
9.Pass our Background Investigation:
Undergo a thorough background investigation which includes:
*fingerprint search.
*polygraph examination.
*psychological examination..
Disqualifying factors include (but are not limited to)
*Any felony conviction
*Job related misdemeanor convictions
*Certain serious traffic convictions or patterns of traffic violations.

Finally, each applicant must be in good physical condition, free from disease or defects that would interfere with the satisfactory performance of the duties of this position.

http://www.lasdreserve.org/howtojoin1.htm

retired
07-16-2009, 4:10 PM
Here is a link to the California POST requirements and explanation of the different levels of Reserves.

http://www.post.ca.gov/Training/Reserve_Peace_Officer_Program/

Glock619
07-16-2009, 4:11 PM
wow thanks. out of luck though. only 19.
would be nice as to get ccw. i cant carry at work now, because im not in uniform.

strangerdude
07-16-2009, 4:12 PM
There are seperate classes of reserve class A has all the necessary training and can make arrests, class b and c does desk duty i'm guessing.

strangerdude
07-16-2009, 4:13 PM
would be nice as to get ccw. i cant carry at work now, because im not in uniform.

why not full time, my buddy applied when he was 19 and was already a deputy at age 20.

Jonathan Doe
07-16-2009, 4:45 PM
My supervisor is a reserve officer with a local agency. He is Level 1 with full peace officer status, and he can carry off duty. I ahve met several other reserves with full peace officer status.

Glock619
07-16-2009, 4:53 PM
why not full time, my buddy applied when he was 19 and was already a deputy at age 20.

ill look into that.
have a appointment tuesday with a marine oso. going to see how that goes. Just want an armed guard postion, so hard.

just went to sd sheriffs. have to be 20.5 years old to apply.

1911su16b870
07-16-2009, 6:03 PM
Reserves go through the same application process that regulars do, but they do it on their dime and all hours put in and worked are voluntary...

sgtbuck
07-16-2009, 6:22 PM
I will say this to you. If you want to be a Reserve just so you can have a CCW or carry a gun then you will probably never make it through the process. Most Agencies Reserves have very high hiring standards. It took us many years to overcome some stereotyping and to show our full time counterparts that we can do the same job and had EARNED the right to be called a Police Officer. One of the biggest insults to us Reserve Officers is to be perceived as doing it just so we can have a gun or CCW.

Sgtbuck
Retired Reserve Police Sergeant...

strangerdude
07-16-2009, 6:41 PM
ill look into that.
have a appointment tuesday with a marine oso. going to see how that goes. Just want an armed guard postion, so hard.

just went to sd sheriffs. have to be 20.5 years old to apply.

I am an armed guard and trust me it is not hard, it is hard to find a good company. All the permits can be pricey though. Your still young though, ou should atleast get you AA from a community college.

Ishoot
07-16-2009, 6:42 PM
I will say this to you. If you want to be a Reserve just so you can have a CCW or carry a gun then you will probably never make it through the process. Most Agencies Reserves have very high hiring standards. It took us many years to overcome some stereotyping and to show our full time counterparts that we can do the same job and had EARNED the right to be called a Police Officer. One of the biggest insults to us Reserve Officers is to be perceived as doing it just so we can have a gun or CCW.

Sgtbuck

Wouldn't really have this problem if all "eligible" law abiding citizens are actually accorded their rights and given their CCW permits...:)

retired
07-16-2009, 6:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbuck

Sgtbuck
Wouldn't really have this problem if all "eligible" law abiding citizens are actually accorded their rights and given their CCW permits...

What does that have to do with Sgtbuck saying what he said that you have bolded. The fact that all eligible law abiding citizens are not accorded their rights and given their ccw permits has nothing to do with the insult he is referring to.

It certainly isn't a reserve's fault that a eligible citizen can't obtain a ccw. Don't insult reserve officers.

Glock619
07-16-2009, 7:04 PM
I am an armed guard and trust me it is not hard, it is hard to find a good company. All the permits can be pricey though. Your still young though, ou should atleast get you AA from a community college.

i have all my permits, just no one seems to want to hire me.:confused:

well thats the plan, want bach and go to marines with the commision

Glock619
07-16-2009, 7:09 PM

Sgtbuck

i completely understand, and dont want to come off that way either. i just commented on that out of ignorance i guess. I would like to have a ccw for the current job i have, but i dont believe i would get one in san diego and also considering the job.

CSDGuy
07-16-2009, 7:29 PM
There are seperate classes of reserve class A has all the necessary training and can make arrests, class b and c does desk duty i'm guessing.The following is partially taken from the CA POST website.

Level 1/Designated Level 1 Reserves may work alone and perform the same duties as full-time regular officers.
Level 2 Reserves may perform general law enforcement assignments while under the immediate supervision of a peace officer who has completed the Regular Basic Course. These officers may also work assignments authorized for Level III reserve officers without immediate supervision.
Level 3 Reserves may perform specified limited support duties, and other duties that are not likely to result in physical arrests, while supervised in the accessible vicinity by a Level I reserve officer or a full-time regular officer. Additionally, Level III reserve officers may transport prisoners without immediate supervision.

ryang
07-16-2009, 7:35 PM
Every agency's reserve program is different. To use a crude analogy you go through a cert process to get a driver's license but the kind of car you drive isn't the same.

Some agencies pay reserves, most don't. Most pay for basic equipment, some require you buy/maintain it yourself. Etc. etc. You really need to talk with the reserve coordinator of a given agency to see what they do with their reserve program.

CSDGuy
07-16-2009, 7:44 PM
Glock619 - at 19 years old, most armed guard companies will be VERY leery of hiring you for an armed position. Not all 19 year olds are mature enough for an armed position's responsibilities. That may not apply to you, but you're most likely impacted by those who came before you. While you can own a pistol, you most likely can't buy ammo for it... and the company probably doesn't want to have to furnish your ammo because you're not 21.

The US Military (all branches) have a good reputation for getting people's heads screwed on straight. Get the Degree... get the Commission. Serve your time. You'll be further ahead in life than most of your peers. That's my experience with people who are going for what you seem to be going for.

Glock619
07-16-2009, 7:56 PM
What i had in mind. I'm just a bodyguard for now.
We'll see how it goes with the recruiter Tuesday.

Any recommendations for me situation? About the guard for now

tyrist
07-16-2009, 9:17 PM
Just remember the process and backgrounds is the same as if you were getting the full time job. Most of the time our reserves are called in when we have something special going on like a parade or protest and need the additional help. Some of them do actually work all by themselves and will arrest people and take reports just as if they were doing the full time job.

Ron-Solo
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
As a full time LEO, I've worked along side many reserves, and I started as a reserve.

To answer your question if they make a difference my answer is ABSOLUTELY !

I've had reserves back me up when other units weren't available, seen them receive awards for valor and saving lives.

If it is something you are interested in, go for it.

If you are looking at it JUST to get a CCW, you have the wrong motivation for the position and should look at different avenues to get a CCW. You won't be happy and it takes a LOT of time and dedication to get to the level required to be issued a CCW.

1911_sfca
07-17-2009, 1:37 PM
If you are looking at it JUST to get a CCW, you have the wrong motivation for the position and should look at different avenues to get a CCW. You won't be happy and it takes a LOT of time and dedication to get to the level required to be issued a CCW.

I have to agree with this. If you are looking at this position just to get a CCW, you might as well go for it, because you will probably wash out pretty early in the process, or by the time you get to the point where you can get a CCW, it won't be as important to you anymore and you will be thoroughly trained and experienced as a Police Officer.

- Reserve Sgt.
and lead Background Investigator for my agency

Turbinator
07-17-2009, 4:44 PM
Hey, so what criteria DO make you look good if you apply for this type of position?

Turby

Ishoot
07-17-2009, 5:27 PM
What does that have to do with Sgtbuck saying what he said that you have bolded. The fact that all eligible law abiding citizens are not accorded their rights and given their ccw permits has nothing to do with the insult he is referring to.

It certainly isn't a reserve's fault that a eligible citizen can't obtain a ccw. Don't insult reserve officers.

Wasn't my intent to insult said officers, my apologies if it came out that way...not blaming them either for the issuance of CCW permits..just saying it wouldn't be an insult at all if everyone had a CCW. Hence the smiley face. :)

leitung
07-18-2009, 1:16 PM
I am a Level III reserve, I am working on getting hired right now.

odysseus
07-18-2009, 1:40 PM
One of my closest uncles was a reserve sheriff, while also being a MD doctor and running two medical clinics, and a family of 4 kids. Quite a guy. I have thought about it myself at times based on his experiences, but my concern is over certain issues which are more now then they were for him, and he was not in Cali.

The issues are liability and protection, are you in the police union and do they have your back? Also while not being paid, do you really get any respect from fellow academy full time paid officers? How about the organization with the higher ups? While I would love to put in for the community which seems to need help as budget times are bad, I am not sure if it is worth the struggle or possible liable exposure.

sgtbuck
07-18-2009, 3:19 PM
One of my closest uncles was a reserve sheriff, while also being a MD doctor and running two medical clinics, and a family of 4 kids. Quite a guy. I have thought about it myself at times based on his experiences, but my concern is over certain issues which are more now then they were for him, and he was not in Cali.

The issues are liability and protection, are you in the police union and do they have your back? Also while not being paid, do you really get any respect from fellow academy full time paid officers? How about the organization with the higher ups? While I would love to put in for the community which seems to need help as budget times are bad, I am not sure if it is worth the struggle or possible liable exposure.

In my Department we were covered by our POA through PORAC and the Reserve POA. It was the same for us as for a full time Officer, when I was in a shooting my PORAC Attorney was waiting for me before I got to the station. He represented me throughout the whole process. He was even there during my questioning with the Detectives.

I was sued for another incident right before I retired and again my PORAC attorney was there the whole time plus the city attorney. Any Officers reserve or full time can and do get sued if they are doing there job even when you do it 100% the right way. Even thou I handled the situation according to policy and the law I was put through hell for almost a year. It took Internal affairs almost 6 six months to clear me, I had been smart and had got witness info from everyone at the seen. All the witnesses were very honest and told the truth. The end result to my case was I was cleared by the Department and approx a year later the Judge through out the civil case. The person who sued me accused me of assault under color of authority, Racial profiling, violation of civil rights ect ect. It was all lies and I hate to think that had I not had since enough to write down every witness it could have easily went the other way.

.I will be honest to you in saying that when your out there putting your life on the line for the community and for your fellow Officers it really is a sucky feeling when someone lies and tries to sue you and makes up a bunch of BS to try and fill there pockets.

So can you be sued YES you can, Can there be a judgment against you YES. They will usually sue you personally and the Department. If it is determined that you acted wrong or you violated policy you could end up paying the piper.

Now for Full time Reserve Officer relationships. Most all our FT Officers were very supportive. Heck most of my personal friends are either retired or active duty Officers. Our FT Officers were so supportive that back in 1994 we had Reserve Officer on our badge. During my debrief of the shooting the President of our POA came into the room and told me that they were changing the badge to a LAPD type badge and they would say Police Officer on them not Reserve Officer. He said that full time Officers had voted this in and would tell the Chief they supported it. He said we do the same job it should say the same. As level one Reserves we were treated as equal. That respect did not come overnight. We worked our butts off for years to get to that point.

Most veteran Police Officers FT and RO alike will not respect you or trust you until they see you do the job and they know they can count on you when the SHTF. You have to earn it whether you’re FT or an RO. In my Department Reserves had rank such as Sergeant, LT, CPT. We had to pass the same test for the positions as a FT Officer would. Or relationship with the higher up was professional and they were very supportive. Every thing the FT Officers got we got. Just no paycheck.

Sorry did not want to be long winded but I was trying to answer all of his questions.

odysseus
07-18-2009, 11:20 PM
sgtbuck, thanks for the feedback.

oldironpants
07-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I'll echo what's been posted thus far only to add that many of us full-timers started as reservists too. At least, many in my area did.

I wanted to be a part of the law enforcement values and service (much like a volunteer firearm for a community they live in and support), and the reserve option was great. I liked it so much, I went full time and have never looked back (too far to look anyway).

Either way, reserve officers that are there for the right reasons and not as some of the reasons already listed, are valued members of the law enforcement community, their community they serve, and are respected by the full timers for their assistance.;)

code33
07-20-2009, 2:22 PM
By the time you complete the courses, applications, interviews, and background, you'll meet the age requirement before the appointment.

fullrearview
07-20-2009, 2:45 PM
Every Dept. is different. Take Sac County for instance. They pay their "reserves" the same wage as full time deputies, but they do not give them and benefits. Of course they also have different levels with reserves.

I am referring to On-Calls. Sac also utilizes level 1, and 2 non paid.

shoupdawg
07-20-2009, 8:10 PM
I'm also looking at Reserves with LAPD. I second what SgtBuck said, and I have weighed the liabilities. You are encouraged to sign up with CRPOA and pay dues so that you can get legal support if necessary as the City Attorney may not necessarily come to your aid.

I actually wanted to do Newport Beach PD as their reserves are one of the few that are paid, but they are too far.

sgtbuck
07-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm also looking at Reserves with LAPD. I second what SgtBuck said, and I have weighed the liabilities. You are encouraged to sign up with CRPOA and pay dues so that you can get legal support if necessary as the City Attorney may not necessarily come to your aid.

I actually wanted to do Newport Beach PD as their reserves are one of the few that are paid, but they are too far.

LAPD has a great program.
Also some of the best training I ever had was in Sacramento. Reserves have a training conference every year and they used to alternate between Northern and southern Calif.

I would also like to add that I was not trying to turn anyone away from being a Reserve Officer. I just wanted them to know it is not that easy and there are some very important things to consider. Once you have made up your mind and really want to do it don't let anything stop you. I used to tell the Cadets in the Academy that they need to have the eye of the tiger.

Aside from some of the negative stuff I posted it can be very rewarding and you will never make better friends.

scarry scarney
07-21-2009, 6:45 AM
I have been a Reserve now for 18 months. I love it. I went to Yuba College, and the modular format academy. It took 18 months to complete the course. (I did the entire academy.) I am out on Patrol (with a full timer) at least once a week. The unit that I am with has one general meeting every month, and one training meeting every month. Special Details and call in's occur about every other month. So, in otherwords, I am at the department at least six times a month. Doesn't seem like much, but the wife does get jeolous about all the time that I spend away from the family (remember, I hold a regular 40 hour a week job), and I do it for FREE!!!! It is hard to juggle family life, work and Reserve time. If you do this, you need a very understanding significant other.

Tallship
07-22-2009, 7:13 AM
LAPD has a great program.
Also some of the best training I ever had was in Sacramento. Reserves have a training conference every year and they used to alternate between Northern and southern Calif.

They still do. This year's is in San Diego, and the range training will be at the Sheriff's range in Miramar. It will be essentially the same CPT we give the deputies with shotgun, rifle (bring your own) and handgun courses. I'll be one of the range officers, so let me know if anyone from Calguns will be here.

sgtbuck
07-22-2009, 6:13 PM
They still do. This year's is in San Diego, and the range training will be at the Sheriff's range in Miramar. It will be essentially the same CPT we give the deputies with shotgun, rifle (bring your own) and handgun courses. I'll be one of the range officers, so let me know if anyone from Calguns will be here.

I am still a member of the CRPOA but as retired status. My department used to pay for us to go to it each year. The two classes I always liked were Gordon Graham and the FBI Computer forensicsí class.
I had a lot of fun at those conferences over the years.
What happens at the CRPOA conference STAYS at the CRPOA conference. :cool2:

shoupdawg
07-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I have been a Reserve now for 18 months. I love it. I went to Yuba College, and the modular format academy. It took 18 months to complete the course. (I did the entire academy.) I am out on Patrol (with a full timer) at least once a week. The unit that I am with has one general meeting every month, and one training meeting every month. Special Details and call in's occur about every other month. So, in otherwords, I am at the department at least six times a month. Doesn't seem like much, but the wife does get jeolous about all the time that I spend away from the family (remember, I hold a regular 40 hour a week job), and I do it for FREE!!!! It is hard to juggle family life, work and Reserve time. If you do this, you need a very understanding significant other.

That's awesome. For LAPD, it's a bit longer. They have 2 (IIRC) Level 3 academies each year. And with the weeknight and every other weekend hours, I think it takes a solid year or so to graduate. Level 3's do everything but patrol. Mostly desk jockeying your first year per the recruiters, but also a lot of special events work (Lakers parade, MJ funeral, etc.).

Then, certain Level 3 Reservists are invited to attend Level 2 academy. Same weeknight/every-other-weekend scenario, but in this case you have to run!

The recruiters were actually joking at orientation that while people hear that all you do at academies is run, you have absolutely zero running for level 3 academy. They may have one Level 2 academy a year. That includes patrol.

Then, about every 2 years, they do a level 3 academy. That's 24 hour LEO status and you can patrol on your own.

1911_sfca
07-23-2009, 1:20 PM

I'll be at ARPOC but hadn't signed up for the range. What days is it on?

Tallship
07-23-2009, 1:35 PM
I'll be at ARPOC but hadn't signed up for the range. What days is it on?

Range is Thursday morning and afternoon, Friday morning and afternoon, and Saturday morning for a total of 5 sessions. I think they're limiting it to 30 per session, so sign up quick.

1923mack
07-23-2009, 3:28 PM
I looked into the Riverside County Sheriffs reserves a few years ago. They had the lie detector testing then as well. One of the questions and qualifiers was no drug use. Ever. Not within the last 30 years, but never. Has this policy changed, I have heard rumor of softening.

franco802
08-03-2009, 9:27 AM
I am also a Reserve and have been at it for 5+ years. Like Sgtbuck said, if you are in it for just CCW, then your in it for the wrong reasons. I didn't get my CCW until last year. I really didn't care for it. After carrying all that gear over a 13 hour shift on your body, the last thing you want to do is carry a gun when you take everything off.

I do it for free and I love what I do. The full timers really love and respect us. It took me one year to finish the academy. I went in as an open enroll e. I went to the academy Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights from 1645-2200, Saturdays from 0700-1700 and one Sunday a month as well from 0700-1700. It was a long process but very fun. The hiring process is exactly the same as a full time Officer, at least in my agency it is.

Tallship
08-03-2009, 3:52 PM
franco802-

What agency are you with?

G17GUY
08-07-2009, 9:50 PM
I donít get why people volunteer when you can get paid to do it? Weird!

retired
08-07-2009, 9:58 PM
I donít get why people volunteer when you can get paid to do it? Weird!

Because the interest is there, but for some, it would be a huge cut in salary to quit their day job and become a deputy full time. They might enjoy their standard of living and may not choose to give that up to do the job fulltime. I'm sure there are other reasons and I would surmise some reserves will give their reason (s).

shoupdawg
08-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Because the interest is there, but for some, it would be a huge cut in salary to quit their day job and become a deputy full time. They might enjoy their standard of living and may not choose to give that up to do the job fulltime. I'm sure there are other reasons and I would surmise some reserves will give their reason (s).

Exactly.