PDA

View Full Version : CA definition of Semi automatic?

AJAX22
07-16-2009, 5:23 AM
IIRC there was a very specific and narrowly constructed definition of what constituted a semi automatic firearm in CA... but I can't seem to find the actual code section...

Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated.

mdouglas1980
07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
this is from the assault weapons guide PDF from the DOJ website from the glossary.
here's the PDF: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Semiautomatic firearm - This refers to a firearm which is self-loading but not self firing. A single pull on the
trigger results in a single shot being fired.

Hope that helped ya :thumbsup:

bwiese
07-16-2009, 10:31 AM
That AW guide is just a guide and has little or no legal force. The Penal Code & regulatory code is what counts.

"Semiautomatic" by itself is not defined. The only definition we have is of "semiautomatic pistol" within the Unsafe Handgun law suite (12125-12133 PC).12126(e) As used in this section, a "semiautomatic
pistol" means a pistol, as defined in subdivision (a) of
Section 12001, the operating mode of which uses the
energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to extract
a fired cartridge and chamber a fresh cartridge with
each single pull of the trigger.

Subtracting out 'pistol' leaves a pretty good definition of 'semiautomatic'.
But there could be a fight to do this if someone were relying on some aspect of this definition in a fight on a rifle or shotgun - it should carry, but not neccesarily.

"Semiautomatic" itself is also not defined anywhere in regulatory code. At best, 11 CCR 4049(n) just states:11 CCR 4046(n) "Pistol" means a handgun in which
the chamber is part of the barrel. A pistol can either
be semiautomatic or non-semiautomatic, but not fully
automatic.

AJAX22
07-16-2009, 10:59 AM
That AW guide is just a guide and has little or no legal force. The Penal Code & regulatory code is what counts.

"Semiautomatic" by itself is not defined. The only definition we have is of "semiautomatic pistol" within the Unsafe Handgun law suite (12125-12133 PC).12126(e) As used in this section, a "semiautomatic
pistol" means a pistol, as defined in subdivision (a) of
Section 12001, the operating mode of which uses the
energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to extract
a fired cartridge and chamber a fresh cartridge with
each single pull of the trigger.

Subtracting out 'pistol' leaves a pretty good definition of 'semiautomatic'.
But there could be a fight to do this if someone were relying on some aspect of this definition in a fight on a rifle or shotgun - it should carry, but not neccesarily.

"Semiautomatic" itself is also not defined anywhere in regulatory code. At best, 11 CCR 4049(n) just states:11 CCR 4046(n) "Pistol" means a handgun in which
the chamber is part of the barrel. A pistol can either
be semiautomatic or non-semiautomatic, but not fully
automatic.

So If I made a pneumatic or electric actuator to kick the bolt rearward on a pistol, it would not be semiautomatic?

And having the chamber not be a part of the barrel also exempts it from being a pistol?

what if I cut a .50 beowulf relief into a 5.56 barrel, then used .50 beowulf shaped 5.56 chambers to feed it? (just an example the pressures on something like that would probably be too high, but it could work for something like .38 special)

MasterYong
07-16-2009, 11:04 AM
So If I made a pneumatic or electric actuator to kick the bolt rearward on a pistol, it would not be semiautomatic?

And having the chamber not be a part of the barrel also exempts it from being a pistol?

what if I cut a .50 beowulf relief into a 5.56 barrel, then used .50 beowulf shaped 5.56 chambers to feed it? (just an example the pressures on something like that would probably be too high, but it could work for something like .38 special)

:popcorn: