PDA

View Full Version : CalTrain

frankiejoe577
07-16-2009, 3:53 AM
Anyone know what the rules are on transporting handguns on CalTrain, I could email them but maybe someone knows? Do they allow it or not?
In a locked case of course. My sister lives in San Jose and I want to try out some other ranges and maybe try one in San Jose.

MiguelS
07-16-2009, 8:24 AM
if it is in a locked case, it should not matter.

Stealth
07-16-2009, 8:26 AM
I checked the Caltrain site and didn't find any thing that jumps out about bringing firearms on Caltrain.

One thing that might help you lead to an answer was this text:

"Caltrain's police force, comprised of San Mateo County Sheriffs officers, is responsible for policing Caltrain property, including its stations, parking lots and railroad right of way."

I would call the San Mateo Sheriff office (I am sure you can google for the number) and ask them if it is alllowed to transport firearms on the trains.

Miltiades
07-16-2009, 1:52 PM
I'd give odds that Caltrain's policies don't allow guns in passenger baggage. The Amtrak website is pretty clear about that on Amtrak trains:

The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon.
Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.
Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.
Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.
Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment. (Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
Animals (except service animals).
Oversized and/or overweight items.

Before I took a gun on a train I would call the railroad customer service line and ask that question.

walter
07-16-2009, 2:23 PM
Just bring it in a locked case and don't let anybody know. :chris:

leitung
07-16-2009, 3:29 PM
OOOO.. I can't take my G19 on checked baggage in Amtrak, guess I wont be riding with them anytime soon.

Flying Bones
07-16-2009, 3:33 PM
Why don't you try giving them a call...not worth getting rolled.

MiguelS
07-16-2009, 5:42 PM
I never road a train before, but do they scan baggage as well?

dirtykoala
07-16-2009, 6:08 PM
drive?

Z ME FLY
07-16-2009, 7:40 PM

Nope you just carry on your stuff. I remember bringing a keg and a bunch of cases of beer on an amtrack. We actually started to drink on the amtrack.

Miltiades
07-16-2009, 7:44 PM

I have been on AMTRAK and the San Diego Coaster within the last year, and there are no baggage scanners at the stations. You carry your own bag(s) to the train and either take it on the train or hand it to the conductor who puts it in a baggage compartment and gives you a claim check. They do have the legal right to search any baggage, but 99 times out of 100 they don't search it, because it would take too long and delay the train.

I suspect that many people ignore the rule and get away with it, as long as they are discreet about it. I don't know what the penalty is if you are caught, however.

hoffmang
07-16-2009, 9:14 PM
AMTRAK's policy was overuled by Congress. http://majorityinms.com/2009/04/04/senate-passes-wicker%E2%80%99s-amtrak-guns-amendment/

Put your unloaded firearm in a locked container in a bag that doesn't look like a firearm container and don't worry about it.

-Gene

paul0660
07-16-2009, 9:30 PM
good job hoffmang.

Miltiades
07-17-2009, 4:18 AM
AMTRAK's policy was overuled by Congress. http://majorityinms.com/2009/04/04/senate-passes-wicker%E2%80%99s-amtrak-guns-amendment/

I'm glad to know about the new law concerning AMTRAK and guns. I would note a couple of interesting or puzzling points, however:

1. The law allows guns in checked baggage, but says nothing about carry-on baggage. Checked baggage is under AMTRAK's control during the trip, while carry-on is under the passenger's control, in the passenger compartment. I wonder if this distinction is important?

2. AMTRAK has not changed the wording in their website regarding this, and still states that guns are prohibited in either checked or carry-on baggage. Since the law was passed in April, AMTRAK seems none too eager to incorporate it into their rules. But that is what I would expect from them.

1JimMarch
07-17-2009, 5:27 AM
If you're dumb enough to ask law enforcement about weapons laws, you deserve the inevitable lies and BS you'll get.

Sorry to be blunt but that's the facts.

frankiejoe577
07-17-2009, 9:13 PM
I just contacted Amtrak and asked them if I could bring an unloaded handgun in a locked case in my checked luggage or a carry on bag and they gave me this responce:

Dear *********,

Thank you for contacting us.
Below is Amtrak's policy regarding firearms:
It is Amtrak's policy that only qualified active law enforcement officers employed by a local, state, federal or railroad law enforcement agency on official business be permitted to carry handguns or small weapons (not exposed or needlessly displayed) aboard Amtrak trains. Each situation requires prior approval by Amtrak Police (800-331-0008).
Under no circumstances is a non-law enforcement individual permitted to carry a firearm aboard Amtrak trains.
Firearms, ammunition and/or other weapons, whether or not packaged, are prohibited in carry-on baggage or on the person at all times, even if the person has a permit to carry. There are no exceptions, other than as stated in the first paragraph.
Firearms, ammunition and other weapons are never permitted in checked baggage or in Amtrak Express shipping.
We hope this information is useful. -nope

Sincerely,
Patrice
Amtrak Customer Service

I sent them a reply back with this http://majorityinms.com/2009/04/04/senate-passes-wicker%E2%80%99s-amtrak-guns-amendment/

MiguelS
07-17-2009, 9:24 PM
Seems like you are okay. But is CalTrain and Amtrak the same thing?

frankiejoe577
07-17-2009, 9:25 PM
No they are not the same but people started to talk about Amtrak and there customer service said I could not bring one on Amtrak but they passed a law saying we could so I want to set them stright before contacting CalTrain

cousinkix1953
07-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I think I saw something about taking guns on board trains and buses in the DoJ's Handgun Safety Booklet...

BigDogatPlay
07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I ride AMTRAK every so often, my wife hates to fly, and they do not do any x-raying or screening of baggage at any station I've been through. The rules, though, still are the rules to my understanding. No firearms or ammo of any kind in checked or carry on baggage.

The Wicker Amendment was to S.Con.Res. 13, a continuing resolution bill on the 2010 federal budget. The resolution was passed out and went to conference. I don't see any indication that the president has signed a final bill with the Wicker Amendment in it, so it would not be "the law" yet as near as I can determine.

It might be worth a call to Mr. Wicker's office to find out the current status on the amendment before we start trying to check or carry on our secured firearms. I wouldn't want anyone to become a "test case" of a law that might not be in force yet.

AMTRAK is the contract operator of CalTrain, just as it is for the Capitol Corridor service, so AMTRAK's rules and policies apply aboard CalTrain.

J-cat
07-18-2009, 10:46 AM
I just contacted Amtrak and asked them if I could bring an unloaded handgun in a locked case in my checked luggage or a carry on bag and they gave me this responce:

I sent them a reply back with this http://majorityinms.com/2009/04/04/senate-passes-wicker%E2%80%99s-amtrak-guns-amendment/

Why?

Why are arguing with stupid people? Just do what you want, and when caught, tell them to shove it.

SJgunguy24
07-18-2009, 10:49 AM

Put your unloaded firearm in a locked container in a bag that doesn't look like a firearm container and don't worry about it.

-Gene

This^^^

I ride Caltrain every day. Keep you trap shut and don't worry about it.

No Caltrain and Amtrak are not the same. Caltrain is operatated by the Joint powers board(VTA, Sam trans,Muni) but they do operate under federal regulations (NTSB). The majority of conductors on Caltrain are Caltrain employee's but sometime there will be Amtrak conductors. I think it's a union agreement, but they are seperate.

You can drink on Caltrain, execpt after 9pm.

BigDogatPlay
07-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Go back and read my post at the bottom of page two.

AMTRAK is the "operator" of the Caltrain service, meaning AMTRAK runs rail operations under contract. Yes, Caltrain is managed by the PCJPB, but they contract with AMTRAK for rail operations. Unless the PCJPB has adopted some other set of rules, the AMTRAK rules of service are going to prevail.

Law that hasn't been signed into law yet isn't law. If you can show me where the Wicker Amendment has been made effective by presidential signature on the bill it was attached to, then I'll stand corrected. But if it hasn't, then you have no leg to stand on to argue AMTRAKs policy.

While carrying aboard and keeping your trap shut would probably work just fine for unloaded handguns in locked case stowed inside a back pack or in a briefcase there is little question if a long gun case is being carried.

StoneRoots
07-18-2009, 11:48 AM

-Gene

I use a laptop case with a small master lock on the zippers....

1911_sfca
07-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I ride Caltrain pretty frequently. The conductors, as well as the SMSO transit cops, are all pretty sensible people. Just put your unloaded gun in a locked case, carried in a nondescript fashion, and you'll be fine.

The Amtrak police, on the other hand, are a slightly different story. However I don't think they are around (at least I haven't seen them in SF) since SMSO took over a few years ago.

hoffmang
07-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Realize that if you have an unloaded firearm in a non descript locked container on Caltrain you are complying with California state law and may also be able to take advantage of Federal safe transport privileges. Even if AMTRAK's rules are enforced on Caltrain (which I'm not so sure about as I know that Caltrain enforces different rules about bicycles for example) I don't think they can do more than tell you to get off the train.

-Gene

MarioS
07-19-2009, 10:32 PM

On Caltrain? No way. I ride it a lot to the Giants games; they never check anything. Kids bring booze and hard drugs onboard all the time.