PDA

View Full Version : Night Guard Profile ~8 Shot VS 7 Shot ~ Nevative???

insin
07-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Hello all I was thinking of purchasing a Smith Night Guard revolver.

The options I in consideration or which of 2 Smith Night Guard revolvers, one that comes as .357mag w/ 7 shot capacity Cylender OR a 8 shot w/ capacity Cylender. I imagine the 8 shot version would have a wider width and perhaps finding holsters would be troublesome.

Is there even really that big deal? The Size difference between the 7 or 8 shot models length wise seem identical? ( I have held the 7 shot model and it seems the night guard serious seems to be a tad larger as a whole when compared to other similar Smiths. nut it seemed to fit my hand find. )

I would hate to have the extra round stopping me from being able to find an appropriate holster.

Please excuse if anything I said was unclear. Just Reply and I will get answers/unclear wording to you ASAP

locosway
07-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Assuming you keep the hammer on an empty cylinder you're talking the difference between 6 and 7 rounds.

It's a personal preference, and I assume if you were looking for high capacity you'd be going with a semi-auto.

aplinker
07-16-2009, 3:57 AM
Assuming you keep the hammer on an empty cylinder you're talking the difference between 6 and 7 rounds.

It's a personal preference, and I assume if you were looking for high capacity you'd be going with a semi-auto.

With current S&W revolvers I have no qualms with keeping it on a loaded chamber.

The 8-shot will be a larger framed gun, not just the cylinder.

If you're carrying in a duty holster, there's not enough difference it will matter. Try handling them both, if you can. You might find one more comfortable. I would suggest, as usual, the heavier gun will be better for firing, but the lighter one will be nicer for carrying.

Both of these guns have been around long enough you can find holsters.

colossians323
07-16-2009, 5:29 AM

New to revolvers, out of curiosity, why would one keep an empty chamber?

Timberland
07-16-2009, 8:13 AM
New to revolvers, out of curiosity, why would one keep an empty chamber?

Very old school mentality. With cowboy era guns, if dropped on the hammer the firing pin built in could cause a discharge. 8shot revolvers are very cool, plus most take moon clips so fast reloads and its easy to recover brass. If money is not an option get the 8 shot.