PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS

Rob Roy
07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Please, share your first hand experience with this handgun.

Rob Roy
07-16-2009, 4:41 PM
Anybody??? Nobady had a chance to shoot it???

ke6guj
07-16-2009, 4:55 PM
Well, since you are talking about a non-Rostered handgun, the pool of people that legally own them in CA is on the low side. LEOs, recent CA-residents, and lucky intrafamily recipients would be just about the only ones that have a PPS in CA.

You might get more response on a more national forum.

tba02
07-16-2009, 10:21 PM
try http://www.waltherforums.com

jyo
07-17-2009, 1:41 AM
OK, I got my PPS 9mm about 4 months ago (PPT)---it came with 2 magazines (1 6rd, 1 7 rd w/extended floorplate) and 2 backstraps. As soon as the 10 day waiting period was over, I took it to the range for testing. I used the smaller of the 2 backstraps even thou I have a large hand because with the larger one the front of the pistol tended to be angeled up (like a Glock does if you are used to 1911/P35/USP etc). With the smaller one the pistol pointed as I was used to. The 6rd mag was kinda small in my hand---the 7rd was perfect. The gun shot low and left for me and after I drifted the rear sight (brass drift) it shot to point of aim and a little low. I intend to contact Walther (S&W) about a sightly higher rear sight---but it is still quite usable for self-defense as it is. The pistol proved completely reliable with WWB 115 FMJ, AE 115 FMJ, Brazer Brass 115 FMJ and also the 2 types of JHPs I had on hand---Remington 115 and 115 +P. I have not yet brenchrested this gun, but I felt the first test groups at approx 10 yards (off-hand, Weaver) were just fine. Having now taken the pistol out several times for plinking and testing, nothing has changed, still reliable and keeps tin cans jumping. As for the pistol itself, I find it very flat and thin but a touch larger and somewhat heavier than say my Kahr CW-9---either one is really good for a hideout gun. The PPS is a little easier to shoot than the Kahr because of its SA style (after a Glock like take-up) trigger instead of the Kahr's DAO (takes some getting used to). I like the mag release on the PPS because it is similar to my HK USPs. Good 3-dot sights. A neat small pistol---I like it.

Rob Roy
07-17-2009, 8:02 AM
OK, I got my PPS 9mm about 4 months ago (PPT)---it came with 2 magazines (1 6rd, 1 7 rd w/extended floorplate) and 2 backstraps. As soon as the 10 day waiting period was over, I took it to the range for testing. I used the smaller of the 2 backstraps even thou I have a large hand because with the larger one the front of the pistol tended to be angeled up (like a Glock does if you are used to 1911/P35/USP etc). With the smaller one the pistol pointed as I was used to. The 6rd mag was kinda small in my hand---the 7rd was perfect. The gun shot low and left for me and after I drifted the rear sight (brass drift) it shot to point of aim and a little low. I intend to contact Walther (S&W) about a sightly higer rear sight---but it is still quite usable for self-defense as it is. The pistol proved completely reliable with WWB 115 FMJ, AE 115 FMJ, Brazer Brass 115 FMJ and also the 2 types of JHPs I had on hand---Remington 115 and 115 +P. I have not yet brenchrested this gun, but I felt the first test groups at approx 10 yards (off-hand, Weaver) were just fine. Having now taken the pistol out several times for plinking and testing, nothing has changed, still reliable and keeps tin cans jumping. As for the pistol itself, I find it very flat and thin but a touch larger and somewhat heavier than say my Kahr CW-9---either one is really good for a hideout gun. The PPS is a little easier to shoot than the Kahr because of its SA style (after a Glock like take-up) trigger instead of the Kahr's DAO (takes some getting used to). I like the mag release on the PPS because it is similar to my HK USPs. Good 3-dot sights. A neat small pistol---I like it.

Thanks, great info!!! :thumbsup: Was it expensive?

jyo
07-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Hey Rob---Well actually not too expensive---I see them selling for about $600 or a little more on Gunbroker and thats what the guy on Calguns posted it for---unfortunately, the ad had been running for just a few minutes and 2 other fellows said they wanted it, so I firgured no way Jose. The next morning the guy called me and said for whatever reason the 2 guys were not able to close the deal and did I still want it! Well of course---it turned out he was just on the other side of town---easy. I actually don't remember if he said it was unfired or not---time to make it happen. I find that it never hurts to ask the sellers if they ever roam down around my town (L.A.)---several times they say yes and bring whatever I happen to want with them---this has happened many times even from 500 miles away. Good luck with locating another, they don't turn up often---in fact, this was the only one I have seen for sale.