View Full Version : Non-factory pistolsmiths

07-15-2009, 9:24 PM
What is the concensus on using a pistolsmith other than the factory custom shop? For example, I have a Springfield that could use some trigger work. Better to use the factory shop and thus retain the warranty, or use a local recommended smith? Thoughts?

07-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I would use the local guys. I don't know anyone in San Diego to recommend but you can PM me for people in LA if you are going to be up in the area.

I would choose the local because they can make the trigger the pull weight you want, not what some lawyer says it can be. A lot of big name firearm companies won't do to light of a trigger pull for liability issues, but a local guy will.

1911s with 1 to 1.5 lb clean breaking triggers are fun.

07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Has anyone had issues with their factory warranty after having work done by an independant smith?

07-15-2009, 10:54 PM
No problems with warranty coverage whatsoever. I too own a Springfield. It had trigger work as well as hand checkering of the front strap and other mods done by a respected local smith. Before as well as after the mods the Springfield had a nagging feed issue. Springfield had my 1911A1 twice before the problem was fixed. Everything was covered under warranty, even the transportation both ways, and the feed issue was finally resolved after trip number two. The fix involved some serious grinding and shaping of the extractor claw and face. More than 1,000 rounds later the Springfield hasn't had a single feed problem of any kind. I told Springfield about the mods and trigger work on the phone beforehand and in an enclosed letter.

Should you decide to take the factory route, the Springfield custom shop does good work.

07-16-2009, 6:27 PM
Donald Gusslers is in Santee and knows his stuff, Vice Pres of South Bay Rod and Gun!