PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG rounds in CA?

bcali
07-15-2009, 8:37 PM
Hello,
What is the legality of possessing, "importing" or buying/selling 50 BMG rounds in CA?

[Yes I know 50 BMG weapons cannot be transferred in CA any more...]

Is this correct?

Early revisions of AB50 including prohibitions agains the sale, purchase and possession of 50 BMG cartridges. However, revisions were made to AB50 along the way which eliminated those prohibitions.
So, as it sits, "Assembly Bill 50 does not place any restrictions, limitations, etc. on the purchase of, possession of, etc. .50 BMG ammunition."

Thank you.

aplinker
07-15-2009, 8:38 PM
Legal

Quiet
07-15-2009, 8:41 PM
Legal.
Except for rounds containing incendiary, tracer and/or explosive bullets.

daves100
07-15-2009, 8:41 PM
50 cal ammo legal.

But no more than 10 rounds can be linked to each other

FS00008
07-15-2009, 8:52 PM
And yes... you can have .50BMG weapons, but they have to be crew served like an M2 semi-auto. Not able to be put to the shoulder and fired.

EBR Works
07-15-2009, 8:52 PM
Is it illegal to possess tracer or incendiary projectiles only as well (not loaded)?

bwiese
07-15-2009, 8:56 PM
Is it illegal to possess tracer or incendiary projectiles only as well (not loaded)?

Yes, it is illegal.

762cavalier
07-15-2009, 9:01 PM

Umm Bill I think you meant Yes. Tracer and incendiary projectiles are not legal by themselves or in loaded cartridges.

ke6guj
07-15-2009, 9:03 PM
Nope.huh? No, it is not illegal to possess tracer projectiles?

I thought the DD regs prohibited tracer and incidiary projectiles, not just loaded ammo.

12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.

Brutish
07-15-2009, 9:05 PM
Incendiary projectiles are illegal to possess in CA.

bwiese
07-15-2009, 9:10 PM
Umm Bill I think you meant Yes. Tracer and incendiary projectiles are not legal by themselves or in loaded cartridges.

You are Correct.

I answered Nope meaning "No, they're illegal" in a bout of fast typing.

Apologies for unclarity "Yes we have no bananas..."

Words mean something, usually I'm pretty precise but I screwed up - thanks for catching. This is important stuff, and precision matters.

Apologies for overcasualness. Yes, there have been folks popped in LA area for having such projectiles (and not even loaded ammo).

ke6guj
07-15-2009, 9:13 PM
"no, they are not illegal" = Yes, they are legal? Correct? How does that jive with

12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.
nevermind, saw your edit. Those double-negatives can bite sometimes :D