PDA

View Full Version : poll on handgun ammo quality - change from 5-15 yards to 15-30 yards

rogdigity
07-15-2009, 6:40 PM
i know this will turn into a huge thread, but i am just curious so please bear with me

i took my 1911 clone out the other day and noticed it was shooting like hell. the pistol is a 'LLAMA: MAX-I' and i have read that it is a clone of a contender model 1911 in that it has a 4.25 inch barrel. i normally buy 100 round winchester white box ammo from wal mart. as most of you are very well aware, these are very hard to come by now-a-days.

i was at the range the other day and i was shooting the only available ammo i could buy, blazer brass. my accuracy was pretty far off. even shooting my 9mm ruger with the same ammo it was very far off. now im not claiming to be a perfect shot and can drive nails from 100 yards like some people on here, but i nromally shoot at 10 yards on the targets that have a silohette and show the vital organs and i can keep them all in the 10 range (center of the center mass). now i am sceptical when people bash ammo brands, so i tried another set (4x 7 round magazines = 28 rounds = 1 of my sets for that day). i noticed only about 70% of rounds fired were in or on the 10 zone. furthermore, only about 70% of those stayed in a semi-tight group. all said and done i still would have turned every bullet fired into a big hole in someone, but i was only satisfied with about 50% of the rounds being lethal.

my question for the poll: which brand of ammo do you recommend for accuracy?

please explain why IN DETAIL and feel free to politly discuss with each other. im not looking for a huge arguement or anyone downtalking to anyone because they use inferior ammo. i have listed what brands i commonly see on the shelf. i know there are countless manufacturers which you might get online or special ordered, but these are the ones I see on the shelf. i also realize that some pistols will fail more with specific brands and designs, so to be fair lets say ALL OF THESE ARE STANDARD COMMERCIAL FMJ ROUNDS WITH BRASS CASE. this doesnt mean stick to only one caliber, but maybe you notice your 9mm shoots great with one brand but terrible with another, yet your .40 shoots terrible with the first brand and great with the second... feel free to ask any questions if i have lost you

changed the distance from 5-15 up to 15-30 yards

forgiven
07-15-2009, 6:59 PM
Winchester-because that's all I've been shooting lately.:mad:

Legasat
07-15-2009, 7:01 PM
I like WWB or American Eagle. I voted American Eagle.

rogdigity
07-15-2009, 7:03 PM
Winchester-because that's all I've been shooting lately.:mad:

thats not what i was going for...

i was asking which you think is more accurate, not what you have been shooting

Greg-Dawg
07-15-2009, 7:10 PM
I'm accurate with all of them, so I chose WWB because it was the first one.

Spyder
07-15-2009, 7:47 PM
At 5 to 15 yards, if you're a normal shooter, it's not going to matter. If you're missing, you can't blame it on the ammo. :D

rogdigity
07-15-2009, 7:49 PM
as stated above, its not about missing, its about how tight groups are

nick
07-15-2009, 7:57 PM
Different ammo works differently in different guns :)

That being said, you should have the option for Winchester Ranger ammo. It's been by far the most accurate ammo for me at longer ranges. At 5-15 yds few things make a difference.

Black Majik
07-15-2009, 8:00 PM
5-15 yards is too close to really make a difference.

3GunFunShooter
07-15-2009, 8:10 PM
I've used WWB for IDPA and USPSA. 40 and 9. Seems to be accurate for that type of shooting.

pksbshp
07-15-2009, 8:16 PM
Remington UMC seems to work great for me, I've shot WWB and for some reason I get consistently tighter groups with UMC. Maybe I got a bad batch of the WWB several times over?? And the UMC seems to cycle alot better in my 1911 than the WWB. I really don't know why it would but it does.

rogdigity
07-15-2009, 8:20 PM
Different ammo works differently in different guns :)

That being said, you should have the option for Winchester Ranger ammo. It's been by far the most accurate ammo for me at longer ranges. At 5-15 yds few things make a difference.

this is why i was asking opinions on your experiances. i didnt include ranger ammo because i was only going for regular run ammo, nothing fancy and white box winchester is far more available then ranger. as for range, i typically shoot between 10 and 20 yards and put my long shots to about 33 yards. where do you shoot and what ammo do you see has the best accuracy in your range

ERdept
07-15-2009, 8:22 PM
At this yardage, they all shoot the same. Get a Ransom rest and see.

But, my cheapy fav is WWB.

MiguelS
07-15-2009, 8:33 PM
CCI mini Mags. 22LR close to no recoil so I have better groupings.

WWB over Blazer on 40cal...but that could be because I made adjustments and just sold all my Blazer.

nick
07-15-2009, 8:45 PM
this is why i was asking opinions on your experiances. i didnt include ranger ammo because i was only going for regular run ammo, nothing fancy and white box winchester is far more available then ranger. as for range, i typically shoot between 10 and 20 yards and put my long shots to about 33 yards. where do you shoot and what ammo do you see has the best accuracy in your range

It depends on the gun, really. Since the indoor range I normally go to is under 25 yds, I usually shoot Miwall new ammo there, when I have it.

Now, here's what I remember paying attention to:

Glock 35 - doesn't make a difference whether you shoot Miwall reloads, Miwall new ammo, WWB, Blazer Brass, or American Eagle. Winchester Ranger tightens the groups a lot, 155, 165, and 180gr bullets and 180gb subsonics. One thing though, I'm usually much more accurate with 180gr bullets than with 165gr bullets, regardless of brand, so at this point I only shoot 180gr bullets in .40. Winchester Ranger being the only exception, they all group well for me in all handguns.

Glock 27 - Winchester Ranger had the best groups, of course. 180gr Blazer Brass works pretty well, as well. WWB doesn't work for me in that gun that well. It's rather dirty, too.

Glock 34, Springfield XD 9 Tactical - 115gr American Eagle (the new lot I got from Cabela's, the boxes look different from the old red and black ones, the bald eagle on them is actually drawn) worked the best out of the regular rounds. Winchester Ranger (SXT and BA, that is, 147gr Bonded wasn't as good, but still better than the regular ammo) and Federal EFMJ gave the best groups though. 115gr WWB bulk pack was ok, just dirty. 126 gr TMJ Miwall reloads were actually better than WWB.

Glock 26, Springfield XD 9 SC - aside from the cool rounds, that new lot 115gr American Eagle was the best. 115gr WWB was pretty good, too. 126gr Miwall reloads weren't that good. 147gr, both American Eagle FMJ and Winchester Ranger Bonded, kicked quite a bit, which was probably why they were out there with Miwall reloads and WWB.

CZ-75B Tactical - 115gr American Eagle were almost as good as Winchester Ranger SXT. Miwall reloads worked pretty well, as well. Haven't shot anything else though it.

Witness Elite Match in .40 - 180gr lead American Eagle worked best (right after Winchester Ranger :p). Blazer Brass FMJ wasn't bad, either.

147gr American Eagle worked best out of Marlin Camp 9. I didn't really see any difference between .40 ammo out of Ruger PC4 (it was all 180gr, of course). However, the range was too small to matter.

.380 Winchester Ranger out of Hi-Point CF380 groups the best, Miwall reloads come next. Haven't really shot anything else out of it, but I'm quite proud of my groups there, if it wasn't for two fliers :p

Can't remember anything else.

nick
07-15-2009, 8:46 PM
CCI mini Mags. 22LR close to no recoil so I have better groupings.

WWB over Blazer on 40cal...but that could be because I made adjustments and just sold all my Blazer.

Ah, right, for .22, CCI Mini Mags are probably the best not overly expensive ammo out there.

rogdigity
07-15-2009, 8:52 PM
well, im going to the range this week some time with 4 different brands for 45. im going to try them all the same way and see how it goes

aplinker
07-16-2009, 2:53 AM
well, im going to the range this week some time with 4 different brands for 45. im going to try them all the same way and see how it goes

Your "testing" is worthless, unless you fix your gun in a rest.

I have yet to find ammunition that's crappy enough to make a difference at these ranges.

rogdigity
07-16-2009, 6:31 AM
i was using a rest in the first test a couple days ago. this time i plan to bring a sand bag

punisheryayarea
07-16-2009, 9:21 AM
I dont like WWB but you forgot about PMC I really Like shooting PMC's for just everyday range shooting

pinwheels
07-16-2009, 10:49 AM
I do fine with American Eagle, PMC, Blazer Brass, Blazer Aluminum and WinClean in 40SW (Glock 23). I got a half case of WWB that I think is out of spec, with maybe 3 flyers per 10 rd mag. Ran 20 rds of each and confirmed that only the WWB was generating flyers (6+" off at 15 yds). Got out the calipers and found the OAL of the WWB was consistently shorter than all the others (avg 1.114" vs. avgs of 1.121" up to 1.127" for the other five). Bullet diameter was also smaller (avg 0.396", range 0.394-0.3975, vs.others with avgs of 0.397 to 0.3995). About 1/4 of the WWB rounds had a visible crimp in the bullet at the rim of the casing. I think what may be going on is there's enough slop in the chamber that some fraction of the WWB's bullets enter the rifling a bit out of line. Debating whether to email Winchester, although I'll probably have shot it all before I'm done testing :D.

-hanko
07-16-2009, 1:21 PM
Your "testing" is worthless, unless you fix your gun in a rest.

I have yet to find ammunition that's crappy enough to make a difference at these ranges.
This.

The 'most accurate' ammo is dependent on the weapon through which it's shot...you need to test a few types in your gun and make that decision for yourself.

-hanko

tiko
07-16-2009, 8:48 PM
The Hornady book says the best accuracy achievable with velocity 700-800fps and with semi wad cutter LEAD bullet. My reloads are far more accurate than Winchester or Federal.

CalNRA
07-16-2009, 9:55 PM
I dont like WWB but you forgot about PMC I really Like shooting PMC's for just everyday range shooting

PMC's regular line smells bad but shoots straight.

Their Bronze line, however, is some good ****. Even in my 4-inch Glock I can put 90% of the shots in the 8 ring at 25 yards, something I can't do with any of the cheaper ammo(when they were cheap).

scr83jp
07-16-2009, 10:09 PM
corbon165gr jhp +P & pretoria metal products 220gr ball 45acp are 2 I use in my 45acp's but aren't listed.

RT13
07-17-2009, 12:47 AM
I've shot all those brands in your poll from 5-15yards and there is no noticable difference to me. You wont see the difference until you go out to 25 yards and beyond. I rarely go beyond 25 yards with pistols and its been a while since I have so I just can't recall and couldn't tell you which one has been more accurate.

CalNRA
07-17-2009, 1:58 AM
in general I have come to the conclusion, based on the range time I spent, that PMC Bronze>WWB USA>=Selliot=American Eagle=Blazer Brass>PMC>Blazer Alum>WWB Foreign.

But the differences from WWB to Blazer Al are very small. I haven't shot enough Remington UMC or Fiocchi to form a reliable opinion, but the UMCs were always a little less accurate than other brands while the Fiocchis can be inconsistent in the load, sometimes a hot round sometimes not.

YMMV.