PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Blackhawk Questions

slowjon
02-23-2005, 7:09 PM
Hi all. I just bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk, .44mag. This is a 3-screw type with no warning stamp. It has the "brass grip" feature (this was a factory option). The serial number block is 80-511**. According to their web site it was made/ shipped in 1972. Now here is my problem in identification of this gun. I checked 3 blue books at the gun shop with the owner. In all three books they only list a 6.5 and 10 inch barrel length for this revolver. Mine has a 5 inch barrel. According to the books, this doesn't exsist. Any ruger experts out there that can shed some light on what I might have and an approx value? I would rate the gun at 85-90%. Just for comparison, the 6.5 w/ brass is near $1000 at this condition. Thanks in advance, Brian

slowjon
02-23-2005, 7:09 PM
Hi all. I just bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk, .44mag. This is a 3-screw type with no warning stamp. It has the "brass grip" feature (this was a factory option). The serial number block is 80-511**. According to their web site it was made/ shipped in 1972. Now here is my problem in identification of this gun. I checked 3 blue books at the gun shop with the owner. In all three books they only list a 6.5 and 10 inch barrel length for this revolver. Mine has a 5 inch barrel. According to the books, this doesn't exsist. Any ruger experts out there that can shed some light on what I might have and an approx value? I would rate the gun at 85-90%. Just for comparison, the 6.5 w/ brass is near $1000 at this condition. Thanks in advance, Brian

bwiese
02-23-2005, 8:55 PM
Nice gun!
Small chance it could be a chopped/replaced barrel by gunsmith... 5" is odd for Ruger SAs.

Bill

ivanimal
02-23-2005, 8:57 PM
My books only show a 4 5/8 Barrel on the blackhawk single action it was made in 30 carbine,357, 41, 44, or 45 Long Colt This model is the 1962 variation with a hooded rear sight. $350.00 Add 75% for factory installed brass grip frame (rare)

Could this be it? The only other Blackhawks with 4 5/8 inch barrelles have an 81-prefix and are newer manfr.

maxicon
02-23-2005, 10:02 PM
I'd ask over at www.rugerforum.com, (http://www.rugerforum.com,) and post a picture if you can. There's quite a lot of Ruger expertise there, particularly on interesting editions.

max

slowjon
02-24-2005, 8:16 PM
bwiese, definetly not a chop barrel...I measured from the front end of barrel to the end just in front of the cylinder. 5" exactly. Even if I go to just the back end of the cylinder housing its only 4 7/8"...most of the ones I've seen are 4 5/8...

Ivan, I saw the same ones you did...definetly not any of those...

max, I went to that forum and was told when I tried to register that they were not taking any more members at this time so I could not post.

Anyone else have any ideas on this gun? I am going to call Ruger tomorrow. Thanks, Brian

ivanimal
02-25-2005, 1:10 AM
Wanna sell it http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

slowjon
03-14-2005, 9:01 PM
Greetings again! Regarding the above mentioned Ruger...I talked to the guy I bought the gun from earlier tonight. Before I tell you what he said, I know about buying the gun, not the story. With that said, I have ABSOLUTELY no reason not believe him as he is a close friend of the family. He told me that in the early 70's he was back east and saw a gun shop. He went in and standing there was Bill Ruger himself. They got to talking and Bill took my friend to the Ruger factory. My friend saw the mentioned gun sitting there and commented on how much he liked it. Mr. Ruger told him that it was one they had made but didn't think it was going to be a seller for them (Ruger). He told my friend if he liked it he should get it. So my friend bought it and a 10/22 and brought them home. So my friend seems to think this is a one of a kind or one of just a few made with a 5" barrel. I still couldn't get onto the Ruger forum, so I am again asking what something like this may be worth assuming the story is true? Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks, Brian