PDA

View Full Version : McCain on Meg Whitman

7x57
07-15-2009, 1:40 PM
Since there is so much angst over the probable slate of Republican Gubernatorial candidates next year, perhaps this is of interest. I'm on McCain's mailing list because I campaigned against Barak Obama for him last fall, and just received what appears to be my personal official opening of the Gubernatorial season, the first piece of campaign material aimed at me:

My friend,

Over the past few months, I have spent time reflecting on the future of the Republican Party and the direction our country should pursue. I am encouraged by many of the new leaders who are heeding the call for service.

As you probably already know, my good friend Meg Whitman is running for Governor of California, and she has my full support. Meg has the integrity, intensity, and intelligence needed to lead at such a pivotal time. I am writing to ask you to join me in supporting Meg.

I was extremely fortunate to have Meg as one of my National Co-Chairs during my Presidential campaign. I was able to get to know Meg quite well over the course of the campaign. Click here to see why I hold Meg in such high regard. Meg exemplifies the type of character and business sense we need to return the state of California to the prosperous state it once was and can be again.

Americans across the country, are facing unprecedented economic challenges, and Meg Whitman has the right credentials to restart California's economic engines. Meg led eBay with integrity, and her inspirational leadership has helped 1.3 million people make part, if not all, of their living through eBay. I applaud her goals of getting Californians back to work by creating two million jobs, her commitment to fixing California's budget problems, and helping to restore the public trust in government by cutting wasteful spending. Please join me in becoming a part of her team by clicking here.

Meg has an extraordinary vision and is just the person who is able to take on the challenges facing your state and restore the California Dream. I am excited to be a part of her team, and I look forward to you joining the team too, by clicking here.

I will always be grateful for your friendship and support. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Senator John McCain

Make of it what you will.

7x57

Overkill
07-15-2009, 1:45 PM
Blech

Aegis
07-15-2009, 1:49 PM
McCain on some issues is parallel to Obama and it cost him the election. If McCain is endorsing her, she won't get my vote.

wildhawker
07-15-2009, 1:52 PM
No surprise coming from a Republican as worthless as tits on a boar hog.

bulgron
07-15-2009, 1:54 PM
It's possible that McCain is endorsing her because she actually is the best of a bad field. Which would be sad.

Truth be told, though, California's economic woes actually are the biggest issue for the next governor's election, not gun rights. Whether Whitman is better than Brown on that issue is debatable, but it isn't hard for me to believe that McCain actually thinks she is the best candidate on that particular issue.

Given that California's budgetary problems actually stem from an incompetent legislative branch, I actually don't think the pick for the Governor will make a big difference, one way or another, on that front.

Legasat
07-15-2009, 2:14 PM
I have read that Meg is NOT a friend of the 2A.

At this point, I would be suprised to see anyone beat Feinstein in the next race for Governor, and that disturbs me.

bwiese
07-15-2009, 2:21 PM
I have read that Meg is NOT a friend of the 2A.

At this point, I would be suprised to see anyone beat Feinstein in the next race for Governor, and that disturbs me.

FEINSTEIN IS NOT RUNNING.

She doesn't want the job.

SirNik
07-15-2009, 2:24 PM
as much as I would like to Bit<# slap Arnold, I can only imagine how bad off we would be with a Democrat... (well a Democrat that is a liberal 100% of the time, Arnold is only liberal 80% of the time) in office through this whole melt down.

That said. if we can get any conservative (or anyone that is less then 50% liberal) in office it would be a help. not a solution, but a help.

bodger
07-15-2009, 2:24 PM

Thank God.
We'd have a worse economy and NO gun rights if that sea-hag ever became governor.

emilio
07-15-2009, 2:25 PM
for a second there i thought this was gonna be a picture thread...

(shudder)
- emilio

Legasat
07-15-2009, 2:37 PM

Thanks for the update, I had not read that.

yellowfin
07-15-2009, 3:30 PM

She doesn't want the job. Because she said so? I put about as much stock on her telling the truth as I would bungee jumping with a spaghetti noodle.

Anyway, McWeasel endorsing Whitman dims my opinion of him even further, which I didn't think was possible.

wildhawker
07-15-2009, 5:47 PM
It's possible that McCain is endorsing her because she actually is the best of a bad field. Which would be sad.

The 'best' to McCain means there must be someone more conservative running.

Truth be told, though, California's economic woes actually are the biggest issue for the next governor's election, not gun rights. Whether Whitman is better than Brown on that issue is debatable, but it isn't hard for me to believe that McCain actually thinks she is the best candidate on that particular issue.

Republicans of a feather, and all that...

Given that California's budgetary problems actually stem from an incompetent legislative branch, I actually don't think the pick for the Governor will make a big difference, one way or another, on that front.

Agreed, although I would say that incompetence is merely political cover for the legislature's agenda.

artherd
07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Meg Whitman is rabidly and actively anti-gun.

Gryff
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Meg Whitman is rabidly and actively anti-gun.

Source?

capntroy
07-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Source?

You ever try to sell a rifle on eBay? How about mentioning a firearms related purchase on Paypal?

artherd
07-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Source?

Besides having met her? :)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/13/BACU15SUDJ.DTL

Look at her track record with eBay since 1998 - and again in 2007. To assume their stance on weapons differs from Meg's is to bury one's head in the sand.

elSquid
07-16-2009, 12:06 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/13/BACU15SUDJ.DTL

She also took positions on social issues that could make her the target of opposition from the conservative GOP grassroots.

Whitman said she supports abortion rights - including public funding for abortions - and believes tough gun laws like assault weapon bans and handgun control are appropriate for California.

Asked if she would favor cutting benefits such as welfare or health care to illegal immigrants, Whitman said that although border enforcement is important she would not support such cuts, because "whether they're legal or illegal (immigrants), those benefits go to children ... and we have to protect the children."

Hmmnnn...

-- Michael

Fat_Rat
07-16-2009, 12:19 AM
McCain on some issues is parallel to Obama and it cost him the election. If McCain is endorsing her, she won't get my vote.

+1 Ill vote democrat just to teach the republicans a lesson.

slidecatch
07-16-2009, 12:42 AM
...and believes tough gun laws like assault weapon bans and handgun control are appropriate for California.

And with that, Square Peg Meg just killed any chance she might have had of getting my vote.

CalNRA
07-16-2009, 1:57 AM
She also took positions on social issues that could make her the target of opposition from the conservative GOP grassroots.

Whitman said she supports abortion rights - including public funding for abortions - and believes tough gun laws like assault weapon bans and handgun control are appropriate for California.

Asked if she would favor cutting benefits such as welfare or health care to illegal immigrants, Whitman said that although border enforcement is important she would not support such cuts, because "whether they're legal or illegal (immigrants), those benefits go to children ... and we have to protect the children."

Hmmnnn...

-- Michael

people like that are reason why I refuse to register as a Republican.

SirNik
07-16-2009, 8:06 AM
People like that need to stop being republican... Those are some core beliefs of the republican party that she is differing with.

There use to be a party for people like her, they were called Democrats, but now just because she doesn't want a state run economy she feels that she is republican... I don't understand how our country got to where it is today.

Decoligny
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
The visual that accompanied the first read of the title made me gag a little.

nat
07-16-2009, 11:32 AM
She is definitely anti-gun............ebay and paypal suck.

Still interesting that Jerry Brown is our best choice.

cousinkix1953
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
You ever try to sell a rifle on eBay? How about mentioning a firearms related purchase on Paypal?
No magazines allowed on EBAY and no empty shell casings either. A brass tube scares the living s--- out of Whitman and Co. I'm surprised that these anti-gun morons haven't banned reloading dies and accessories; because they harassed a smith in Oregon for selling barrel wrenches and vices.

You can't sell an AK-47 bayonet advertised as such; but bigger and deadlier toad stickers are allowed. You can sell Mosin bayonets (and other cruciform spikes) which were made just to kill people. Do you really want an imbecile for a governor? No thanks...

ldivinag
07-16-2009, 12:57 PM
VOTE FOR ME 4 GOVERNOR!!!!!

you know my stance on the 2nd... :)

madmike
07-16-2009, 1:17 PM
I am NOT running for governer. I do not want the job.

-madmike.

Super Spy
05-12-2010, 2:40 PM
Wow! My opinion if McCain hasn't fallen as far and as fast since his crack about 100 years in Iraq.......If he really thinks Whitman is any kind of viable option he's a bigger tool than I thought. The reason Obama won against McCain is McCain saying stupid stuff like this.

CEDaytonaRydr
05-12-2010, 3:13 PM
McCain has never been much of a supporter of 2A rights either. It's part of what helped to earn him his "Maverick" reputation.

I'm not surprised by his Whitman endorsement. :rolleyes:

Mute
05-12-2010, 3:29 PM
She's going to get Californians back to work by creating two million jobs? Really? And how is she going to do that without raising taxes? Who's going to pay for these great new jobs?

CEDaytonaRydr
05-12-2010, 3:31 PM
She's going to get Californians back to work by creating two million jobs? Really? And how is she going to do that without raising taxes? Who's going to pay for these great new jobs?

Can I answer your question with another question?

Do you like to smoke weed? :D

JK

tombinghamthegreat
05-12-2010, 3:34 PM
Wow anti gun and endorsed by McCain...definitely not getting my vote.

jshoebot
05-12-2010, 3:39 PM
Somebody should email mccain with "Things like this are why you lost to Obama."