PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Report on .50-Caliber Firearms Seen As Encouraging Terrorists

shooterx10
02-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Anti-gun crap like this spread like the flesh eating virus. Once it starts, there's no stopping it! Except perhaps to KILL it before it starts? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif This is typical of this Commie State!

----------------------------------------

Report on .50-Caliber Firearms Seen As Encouraging Terrorists

(CNSNews.com) - A Second Amendment group is criticizing CNN for airing a report that explains how .50-caliber rifles might be misused used by terrorists.

The Feb. 17 report also provided a "'road map' on how to obtain one of the firearms, said the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

"The CNN report comes awfully close to being an attempt by a news organization to encourage an incident, just so CNN can later say 'We warned you,'" said Joe Waldron, CCRKBA's executive director.

CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb said Griffin's CNN report was "yet another media attempt to demonize a particular firearm," which has both military and sporting uses.

Although Griffin acknowledged that the .50-caliber firearm has "really never been used domestically in a criminal event," he went on to demonstrate how such a gun might pierce airplanes and armored cars.

In the first sentence of his report, Griffin noted that buying "this huge gun" is easy -- "you just need to go to your computer and click on one of the biggest classified gun sites..."

Griffin also said CNN deliberately bypassed federally licensed firearms dealers, who would have required a background check: "We are trying to find one (a .50 caliber) that's being sold by just a private citizen," which, he noted, "is perfectly legal in dozens of states."

Griffin said he paid $2,500 for the gun, and he said finding armor-piercing ammunition was "as easy as ordering flowers."

The CNN report noted that some gun control advocates want the federal government to ban the .50-caliber firearm, which Griffin described as "very heavy, not easy to maneuver."

Griffin later admitted that although a .50-caliber armor-piercing round might cripple an airliner, it "probably" would not bring it down.

In an on-camera exchange with anchor Paula Zahn, Griffin also admitted, "I'm not a gun person. I've never bought a gun before in my life. And to see how easy this was to do and how easy it was, even easier, to get these armor-piercing bullets, it was incredible."

But CCRKBA called it incredible that CNN would offer such a show-and-tell.

"Essentially, CNN's Griffin and anchor Paula Zahn have literally told would-be terrorists, 'See what you might do with one of these firearms'?" Gottlieb said.. "Naturally, if such an incident occurs, CNN will quickly blame everyone but themselves. That's not simply disingenuous, it's despicable."

CCRKBA says CNN isn't the only news agency guilty of giving ideas to lunatics: "CBS's '60 Minutes' did the same thing, and they're all hoping to one day harvest a bumper crop of sensational stories about some airplane that comes under fire."

"CNN ought to be ashamed," Waldron said, "but it's doubtful they know the definition of that word."

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms describes its mission as "preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States."

Here is the link. (http://www.townhall.com/news/politics/200502/CUL20050223a.shtml)

shooterx10
02-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Anti-gun crap like this spread like the flesh eating virus. Once it starts, there's no stopping it! Except perhaps to KILL it before it starts? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif This is typical of this Commie State!

----------------------------------------

Report on .50-Caliber Firearms Seen As Encouraging Terrorists

(CNSNews.com) - A Second Amendment group is criticizing CNN for airing a report that explains how .50-caliber rifles might be misused used by terrorists.

The Feb. 17 report also provided a "'road map' on how to obtain one of the firearms, said the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

"The CNN report comes awfully close to being an attempt by a news organization to encourage an incident, just so CNN can later say 'We warned you,'" said Joe Waldron, CCRKBA's executive director.

CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb said Griffin's CNN report was "yet another media attempt to demonize a particular firearm," which has both military and sporting uses.

Although Griffin acknowledged that the .50-caliber firearm has "really never been used domestically in a criminal event," he went on to demonstrate how such a gun might pierce airplanes and armored cars.

In the first sentence of his report, Griffin noted that buying "this huge gun" is easy -- "you just need to go to your computer and click on one of the biggest classified gun sites..."

Griffin also said CNN deliberately bypassed federally licensed firearms dealers, who would have required a background check: "We are trying to find one (a .50 caliber) that's being sold by just a private citizen," which, he noted, "is perfectly legal in dozens of states."

Griffin said he paid $2,500 for the gun, and he said finding armor-piercing ammunition was "as easy as ordering flowers."

The CNN report noted that some gun control advocates want the federal government to ban the .50-caliber firearm, which Griffin described as "very heavy, not easy to maneuver."

Griffin later admitted that although a .50-caliber armor-piercing round might cripple an airliner, it "probably" would not bring it down.

In an on-camera exchange with anchor Paula Zahn, Griffin also admitted, "I'm not a gun person. I've never bought a gun before in my life. And to see how easy this was to do and how easy it was, even easier, to get these armor-piercing bullets, it was incredible."

But CCRKBA called it incredible that CNN would offer such a show-and-tell.

"Essentially, CNN's Griffin and anchor Paula Zahn have literally told would-be terrorists, 'See what you might do with one of these firearms'?" Gottlieb said.. "Naturally, if such an incident occurs, CNN will quickly blame everyone but themselves. That's not simply disingenuous, it's despicable."

CCRKBA says CNN isn't the only news agency guilty of giving ideas to lunatics: "CBS's '60 Minutes' did the same thing, and they're all hoping to one day harvest a bumper crop of sensational stories about some airplane that comes under fire."

"CNN ought to be ashamed," Waldron said, "but it's doubtful they know the definition of that word."

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms describes its mission as "preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States."

Here is the link. (http://www.townhall.com/news/politics/200502/CUL20050223a.shtml)

drm600
02-26-2005, 11:16 AM
that is just incredibly irresponsible.

i remember when carjacking wasn't a big problem until the news made a big deal about it and the number of inidents sky-rocketed.

giving stupid people good ideas, or rather ideas that they're too stupid to come up with on their own.

LongBch_SigP226
02-26-2005, 9:15 PM
This is funny, coworkers and I were talking about this on thursday - how media is giving away secrets and tips that terrorists can use against us. One guy said by watching discovery channel, learning channel and others, one could easily build bombs.

patman
02-26-2005, 10:17 PM
You don't really even have to watch tv to learn to build bombs. Did anyone pay attention in High School chemistry?
But then again, kids who don't finish HS or get a pass by default and learn from TV might be ones to fear.

Ford8N
02-27-2005, 7:45 AM
Every year Uncle Sam teaches new recruits how to improvise explosives.

Turbinator
02-27-2005, 9:29 AM
Stupid. The media must be facing a lull - no disasters to talk about, no scandals, so then they go dig up whatever they can. Why don't they show people how to vote, that might be useful..

Turby

icormba
03-03-2005, 4:24 PM
I'd watch a news story written about how stupid news stories are. did that make sense?

Bling Bling
03-03-2005, 6:19 PM
It's really amazing to sit down and turn on the local evening news here in the SF Bay area. There is nothing for them to report so they try and create drama.

They had a segment last week on some teenagers in Morgan Hill that made a video to mimic the TV show COPS. They used airsoft guns and I guess some neighbor reported them to the cops. Of course they made it look like an international incident. The kids were stupid, but I can also see their side of it. They were making a movie, trying to do something creative. They obviously didn't think it though and should have filmed it away from their nosey neighbors. But this whole media passing judgement crap really ticks me off.

In LA there is ALWAYS something going on (my favorite are the police chases). Another thing that never really existed before news copter 7 started reporting it.

icormba
03-03-2005, 6:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bling Bling:
It's really amazing to sit down and turn on the local evening news here in the SF Bay area. There is nothing for them to report so they try and create drama.

They had a segment last week on some teenagers in Morgan Hill that made a video to mimic the TV show COPS. They used airsoft guns and I guess some neighbor reported them to the cops. Of course they made it look like an international incident. The kids were stupid, but I can also see their side of it. They were making a movie, trying to do something creative. They obviously didn't think it though and should have filmed it away from their nosey neighbors. But this whole media passing judgement crap really ticks me off.

In LA there is ALWAYS something going on (my favorite are the police chases). Another thing that never really existed before news copter 7 started reporting it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we did this same thing in our T.V. production class in my highschool days! no one really cared & we actually got an A. then again, that was in 1989 ( not that long ago )
I remember neighbors stopping by and asking "what are you kids doing?"... when we told them, they said "neat, can we be in it?"

and I grew-up in south SJ, about 10-15 miles from Morgan Hill... which was full of hillbilly's back then hehe http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Spotted Owl
03-04-2005, 8:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They had a segment last week on some teenagers in Morgan Hill that made a video to mimic the TV show COPS. They used airsoft guns and I guess some neighbor reported them to the cops. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My, my, how things have changed. When I was growing up in Hayward in the '70's, my friends and I would walk 2-3 miles to the abandoned Leslie Salt land out on the bay with our pellet guns (and later .22 rifles) to shoot. We passed through several residential neighborhoods on the way and no one batted an eye. Even the cops would wave to us when they passed by in their cars.

Try and do something like that today and the SWAT team would be all over you before you went two blocks.

When my dad was growing up in the early '40's, he'd take his .22 rifle to school with him and store it in the closet in the classroom so that he could hunt squirrels with it on the way home. Nowadays kids are being suspended for bringing pictures of guns to school.

ivanimal
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
My dad used to pick us up from school with the shotguns. We would go to the end of Grand ave in South San Francisco and shoot rabbit for dinner. This was in the 60's. Genentech is now the main occupant of the area we used to hunt, I bet the rabbits have 3 eyes and such now. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif