PDA

View Full Version : Question about spouse living in another state?

rtlltj
07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
If my wife takes a nursing job in reno and establishes residency there, while I still work and keep my California residency, is it perfectly ok for her to purchase her own handguns in Nevada and leave a handgun in Calfornia with me? I'm curious because when I read about family transfers I know husband and wife relationships don't require transfers since our property is shared. Well, what about shared property that travels across state lines? Is there a difference if the handgun is on our roster vs non roster like a HK45. I know when bringing in firearms from out of state you have 60 days to file the paperwork but is this only if she quit her job and moved back to California?

Untamed1972
07-15-2009, 12:37 PM
I believe that you could bring it in from NV (no +10mags though) for up to 60 days before it must be registered in CA.

If the question arises: When did you bring it in from NV?

The answer should always be "Last week. I will be sending in the paper work in a couple of weeks / It will be going back to NV in a few days."

The Roster does not apply to personal import.

Pelican
07-15-2009, 1:21 PM
I believe that you could bring it in from NV (no +10mags though) for up to 60 days before it must be registered in CA.

If the question arises: When did you bring it in from NV?

The answer should always be "Last week. I will be sending in the paper work in a couple of weeks / It will be going back to NV in a few days."

The Roster does not apply to personal import.

Or, "Just over a year ago. Guess the statute of limitations date has passed."
I understand that once the statute of limitations (one year from date of
import) is satisfied, you're legal without registering.

DeviLDoc8483
08-01-2009, 5:45 PM
hmmmm good question, I'd like to learn more about this

Big Jake
08-02-2009, 7:54 AM
As long as she has Nevada Drivers Licence she can buy whatever gun she wants in Nevada and bring it to California so long as the gun is legal in California.

She could not, however, buy a Class III weapon that is legal in Nevada and bring it to California since Class III weapons are not legal in California. In this scenario she would have to leave Class III weapon in Nevada.

Suvorov
08-02-2009, 8:46 AM
Or, "Just over a year ago. Guess the statute of limitations date has passed."
I understand that once the statute of limitations (one year from date of
import) is satisfied, you're legal without registering.

This is news to me, not saying it is wrong though as the "personal handgun importer" concept has many issues.

I wonder if anyone has ever been charged with violation of this law and if so, was it just an add on to a much more serious infraction?

cassius
08-02-2009, 4:31 PM
A couple months ago there was a case here in CA (Los Angeles?) of some scumbag former-felon rapper getting busted or probation-searched for some reason and he wound up getting charged for a handgun stored in his home.
Turned out it was his wife's, she was a New York? Chicago? cop and it was registered to her and their story / excuse was almost the mirror image of the rationale offerred in the OP.
And IIRC the charges got dropped, once it was explained away. I have no recollection of how the firearm was stored, related to the husband / rapper's criminal record.

Someone searching up the specifics of this incident - or prior postings here about it once the right keywords are found - might find some more exacting references to legal cods and case law.