PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting 922r SKS Info???

Nate74
07-15-2009, 9:18 AM
Iíve found a fair amount of conflicting information online about this but a search here yielded no applicable information, so here's my dilemma.

I read on Survivor's SKS board that if you replace the stock on an SKS with a US made stock, that does not change the "purpose" of the rifle, that you don't have to worry about 922r compliance. Ie. a Butler Creek (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=340740) NOT a pistol grip stock.

But I've also found statement that regardless of the type of stock you use, you're losing C&R status and thus must comply with 922r.

Any info would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

packnrat
07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
As long as the stock is a "stock" type, good to go.

Any changes you must go with 922r.

Nate74
07-15-2009, 1:07 PM
As long as the stock is a "stock" type, good to go.

Any changes you must go with 922r.

So does the Buttler Creek stock count as a "stock" type?

Rascal
07-15-2009, 3:01 PM
What kind of SKS do you have?
Not all SKS's are C&R

easy
07-15-2009, 3:38 PM
Read the FAQ on Survivors SKS boards carefully. Somewhere there is a letter from BATFE stateing that a Monte Carlo type stock does not invalidate the C&R of a SKS.

Nate74
07-15-2009, 4:06 PM
The rifle I'm concerned about is a Chinese Partrooper model. I've read the FAQ on Survivors SKS site a number of times and seem to get a different answer each time I do... I'll look for the BATFE letter and see if it applies to me lowly Butler Creek stock.

Rascal
07-15-2009, 4:42 PM
Nate, your SKS is NOT a C&R weapon, so you don't have to worry about voiding the C&R status.

Because the stock is not a "non-sporting" type of add on, you are still in compliance with 922r.

Being "in compliance" with 922r means that you don't have a foreign made weapon manufactured or assembled with "non-sporting" features on it. Adding a stock with a pistol grip IS NOT in compliance with 922R as it is a "non-sporting" feature, according to the FEDs.

If you had added 6 U.S.A. made parts (from the list that the Feds show for 922r), then the weapon is NOT considered a foreign made weapon, but a U.S.A. made weapon AND IS NOT SUBJECT TO 922r regulations. 922r IS ONLY FOR FOREIGN MADE WEAPONS.

Nate74
07-16-2009, 9:14 AM
Rascal,

Thanks you so much. That clears it up.

Much appriciated!!!

Shane916
07-16-2009, 9:20 AM
A law to this day that makes no sense and to my knowledge is never prosecuted.

lorax3
07-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Seems like your question has already been answered although for future reference take a look at this letter from the BATFE. Someone asked me a similar questions a few months back.

The funny thing about 922(r) is 'unsporting' means whatever the ATF wants it to mean on that specific day. So on an SKS it is not a violation of 922(r) to replace the stock with a non-folding stock. This definition is however weapon specific, it could be a violation on other firearms.
Quote:
Some guidance as to SKS's can be gleaned from this letter to
the NRA from BATF Technology Branch, printed in the NRA magazine,
American Rifleman May, 1994, p.44:

BATF
Wash. DC

Dear Sir:

[Snip] In answer to your specific questions, the following
modifications of an SKS type rifle WOULD _NOT_ BE A VIOLATION of
Section 922 (r):

1. Replace the existing stock and handguard with a non-folding
wooden or synthetic stock having either a Monte Carlo or thumbhole
design.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/semi_auto_faq.tx

motorhead
07-16-2009, 1:19 PM
if a stock of similar design is importable as sporting, you're gtg. imported rifles have to fit sporting guidelines. pretty much, if it has a pistol grip it's considered military.

-hanko
07-16-2009, 2:05 PM
A law to this day that makes no sense and to my knowledge is never prosecuted.
I've never seen a case charged, let alone a conviction , for 922r issues...

-hanko

Kokopelli
07-16-2009, 2:34 PM
Do the 922f rules also apply to a Yugo 59/66 or only an genuine SKS?

Full Clip
07-16-2009, 2:39 PM
The Yugo 59/66 is listed as a C&R according to the Feds, so 922r applies.
It's just not recognized by CA as a C&R because the Yugos are not more than 50 years old.

ChuckBooty
07-16-2009, 2:55 PM
922r prohibits the manufacturing of a "non compliant" weapon...not the possession, sale or transfer.

Rascal
07-16-2009, 3:01 PM
The Yugo 59/66 is listed as a C&R according to the Feds, so 922r applies.
It's just not recognized by CA as a C&R because the Yugos are not more than 50 years old.
Sorry, but you are incorrect. Because the Yugo 59/66 IS listed as a C&R, It is NOT subject to 922r regulations, otherwise we would have to take all the "non-sporting" features off in order to comply with 922r.
This is why you don't want to change things on a C&R weapon, because once you take it out of original configuration, it no longer holds C&R status and if it IS A FOREIGN made weapon IS then subject to 922r regulations.

The Yugo 59/66 IS recognized as a C&R by California, but only allows long guns older than 50 years old to be sold without going through a FFL.

The strange part is that the FEDS don't prosecute California Yugo 59/66 owners because in order to have one in the state, you have to take the grenade launcher off (destructive device), thus changing it from it's original configuration, and voiding its C&R status, which means that it should in reality be subject to 922r, but they accept California's position on the DD and all is fine and dandy. :confused: