PDA

View Full Version : can a DROS'd as pistol (marked) lower be built into a rifle?

thempopresense
07-15-2009, 9:29 AM
Trying to keep someone stay out of trouble, so here is the deal. They are able to purchase an AR Pistol lower because of LEO status, but planned on building it into a rifle. I have done some searching around but can't find any clear answers regarding butt stock on a marked pistol lower. They will be able to get a letter to reg in CA, but the laws between state and federal are tricky.

So here are my questions.
1. Can a pistol marked lower be built into a rifle, and then turned back into a pistol later?

2. Can it be registered as a rifle AW?

3. If it has to be registered as a pistol AW, would building a rifle config be ok?

Any fed or state code's or references would be good to know. I just don't want them to run into any issues having a pistol marked AR Rifle. I know I wouldn't build a pistol marked lower into a rifle just to avoid the headache. Worst case scenario it's built into a pistol that is not liked, and then ppt'd to me! ;)

Untamed1972
07-15-2009, 9:35 AM
I believe that answer is no. I think ATF says, once a pistol, always a pistol.

Plus you get into SBR issues unless it meets barrel length requirements and all that.

ck867
07-15-2009, 9:55 AM
I thought I read that once you build your pistol lower into a rifle, it must stay a rifle. So once you put a rifle buttstock on it, you cannnot convert back to a pistol tube

wildhawker
07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Why buy the pistol-marked & registered lower at a premium when they can get a less-expensive regular stripped lower for a rifle build? Curious, but to each their own.

A pistol can be reconfigured into a rifle, but never configured into a pistol again.

A LEO may register the firearm as an AW with written authorization from the CLEO or other duly authorized department official.

Any 'pistol' markings have no legal bearing on the receiver; he can build as legally permissible and must comply with NFA w/r/t SBR if he so chooses a rifle build on a personally-owned firearm.

Untamed1972
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
The other "legal" aspect is that he's a LEO so whatever config he built it into would not likely be checked by anyone. So he could go the rifle route, as long as he didn't register it as an AW with his LEO exemption, and then turn it back into a pistol later and no one would likely know....assuming also he didn't go blabbing around to everyone that he did it.

aplinker
07-15-2009, 2:02 PM
You can legally turn a rifle into a pistol**typo - should be pistol into a rifle**, but the ATF says it must remain a rifle once this is done. This goes for all pistols.

The current configuration of the weapon is what you would register as an AW. There are no reasons you could not register it, if it's a rifle, as an AW rifle.

I do not know what DOJ would say about taking a registered AW pistol and converting it to a rifle. You should ask them, and let us know the outcome. However, again, you would not be able to convert back to a pistol.

The other "legal" aspect is that he's a LEO so whatever config he built it into would not likely be checked by anyone. So he could go the rifle route, as long as he didn't register it as an AW with his LEO exemption, and then turn it back into a pistol later and no one would likely know....assuming also he didn't go blabbing around to everyone that he did it.

Regardless of who is asking, as a rule we do not encourage illegal behavior.

Josh3239
07-15-2009, 2:06 PM
Once a rifle always a rifle. Attempting to do otherwise is a short barreled rifle (SBR).