PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts (good or bad) on .50 Beowulf or .458 Scom uppers?

C.G.
03-28-2005, 3:46 PM
Thinking about getting on of those.

C.G.
03-28-2005, 3:46 PM
Thinking about getting on of those.

pidooma
03-28-2005, 4:19 PM
They sure do make good conversation pieces at the range.

If you don't reload, ammo is kinda pricy. ~$1/rnd for .50 Beowulf and ~$1.50/rnd for .458 SOCOM for factory loads.

For reloaders, I've heard there are more bullet options for the .458 SOCOM.

Probably want to invest in some kind of recoil pad if you plan on shooting 'em a lot.

I've shot the Beowulf before. Fun making big holes in stuff from a fairly small package.

ivanimal
03-28-2005, 4:54 PM
Pidooma, I looked into reloading your 50 beowolf, dies 44 bucks http://www.competitionshootingsports.com/catalogue/category367/product1213

Projectiles 21 cents each, powder 3 to 7 cents, primers 2 cents, total using your own brass would be 33 cents a round. If you need help getting started I have a 7.62x39 baseplate for the dillon 550 b just buy the dies and we can get started. I have looked into the popularity of the beowolf and it seems to be taking off here in this state. RCBS sold a lot more dies since the ban. They did not say how many. Call Huntingtons for more info http://www.huntingtons.com/ It sounds like a real shoulder biter.

http://www.competitionshootingsports.com/catalogue/category367
And they are now making a revolver for it.
http://www.gunblast.com/BFR-50Beowulf.htm

CG there is mor info coming all the time it seems to be gaining popularity amoung the banned people of this state. Maybe I need one as well.

C.G.
03-28-2005, 5:08 PM
I don't reload; so I am leaning toward the .50 Beowulf. Did you shoot the 16" or 24"? Did it have a muzzle break and how was accuracy at what range? Thanks in advance.

pidooma
03-28-2005, 5:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cg:
I don't reload; so I am leaning toward the .50 Beowulf. Did you shoot the 16" or 24"? Did it have a muzzle break and how was accuracy at what range? Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've shot a 16" with and without a muzzle break. Both pounded the shoulder pretty good.

Accuracy was minute of bowling pin at 25 yards. Didn't really punch much paper with it so can't give you a real good answer on that.

C.G.
03-29-2005, 2:16 PM
Pidooma, thanks for the input! Anyone else?

C.G.
03-29-2005, 3:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't the .50 Beowoulf and .458 SOCOM rounds require a slightly different magazine feed lip geometry from that of the standard AR15/M16 .223 Rem/5.56 NATO magazine for reliable feeding? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

.458 does not; supposed to fit single file, but the only ammo is Cor-bon and you have to get it from Cor-bon directly for $30 a box/20. About the .50 Beowulf some say it fits and some say it doesn't (from AR15.com), it is $20 a box/20, more widely available, even Midway sells it at premium price $26/20. I wouldn't take anybody's word for it though, I would order a box of ammo to make sure it fits, before ordering an upper.

Also, now that I found my glasses; sorry about the typos above; especially "muzzle break" - don't believe I did that! http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

pidooma
03-29-2005, 3:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Technical Ted:
Don't the .50 Beowoulf and .458 SOCOM rounds require a slightly different magazine feed lip geometry from that of the standard AR15/M16 .223 Rem/5.56 NATO magazine for reliable feeding? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I've read on the .458 SOCOM, no magazine modification is needed.

I've heard mixed reviews on the .50 Beowulf. Some people say they tweaked the feed lips. Others say they haven't. Several people said that Thermold magazines worked great.

Only one I've tried is the Alexander Arms provided magazine. I figure my shoulder can use the break while I reload the mag.

HEWA195@CS.COM
04-01-2005, 8:03 AM
There are some 50 B's used by contractors in Afghanistan. They really like the results from a hit. Basically what you get is a semi auto 45-70.They also produce a muzzle flash described as a flaming beachball.

50 Freak
04-01-2005, 9:56 AM
I used to have a 458 Socom. I really liked it. But ended up selling it to finance something else.

It was set up with a 18 inch barrel with intergral muzzle brake. Was very controllable even during rapid fire. Fed perfectly from AR mag (with no modifications)

7 rounds out of a 20 rounder and 10 rounds out of a 30 rounder.

Been playing around with the idea of picking up one of these uppers again. Just not sure if it's going to be the .499 LW, 50 B, or 458 socom.

jrhglock99
04-02-2005, 8:30 PM
I'VE USED THE AA 50 16"BBL WITH THE COMP. AND IT FELT LIKE A 12ga