PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

McCrown
07-15-2009, 7:56 AM
I believe that cars are just as dangerous as guns, get someone inexperienced and both are dangerous weapons.

So on that note, how would you fill about a liscence to own guns. Now hear me out.

There would be different levels of classes for different types of ownership: from say an 80 hr class for CCW (similar to a type A drivers liscence) down to a 2 hour basic rifle class (type C).

There could be basic requirements that would have to apply to keep/qualify for this liscence. Such as clean criminal records etc, which are more strict as you go up in class.

And with this liscence you would be able to go purchase without the 10 day wait, just show it and let the ffl verify online or somehow.

So what do you guys think, the gov would know who has guns (as they do now), there would be training involved, the gov wouldn't know what we have or how many besides what level we are approved for, and there would be some income for the state for these liscences.

07-15-2009, 8:02 AM
I believe that cars are just as dangerous as guns, get someone inexperienced and both are dangerous weapons.

So on that note, how would you fill about a liscence to own guns. Now hear me out.

There would be different levels of classes for different types of ownership: from say an 80 hr class for CCW (similar to a type A drivers liscence) down to a 2 hour basic rifle class (type C).

There could be basic requirements that would have to apply to keep/qualify for this liscence. Such as clean criminal records etc, which are more strict as you go up in class.

And with this liscence you would be able to go purchase without the 10 day wait, just show it and let the ffl verify online or somehow.

So what do you guys think, the gov would know who has guns (as they do now), there would be training involved, the gov wouldn't know what we have or how many besides what level we are approved for, and there would be some income for the state for these liscences.

Oh, Brother! :rolleyes:

Hitler's speeches emboldened the German nation to go to war. Millions of people died because of that. This proves words are even more dangerous than guns and automobiles. Therefore, let's have a license on free speech too.

Untamed1972
07-15-2009, 8:04 AM
Would you suggest that we should all have to get a 1st ammendment free speech license too?

2A is a right that shall not be infringed. What you propose is infringement of nearly the worst kind. Because once you open the door to gov't control and licensing it's all over. They will just make the requirements tougher and tougher to get a license, then start requiring insurance as part of getting your license, annual fees to keep you license and so on.

Just look at all the crap CA car owners/drivers hafta deal with. You really wanna do that with guns too?

What you propose is a step backwards. Other states have much freer, or nearly unrestricted gun laws and they do just fine. We dont need more regulation.....we need LESS!!!

Untamed1972
07-15-2009, 8:07 AM
"the gov would know who has guns (as they do now)"

This also actually is a somewhat inaccurate statement as well. Most states do not have gun registration. The closest the gov't can get is to look at paper records that a gun dealer keeps. But that would only apply to people who have bought guns at a dealer. In states with unrestricted PPT....guns change hands with no records whatsoever.....the gov't has not idea who has guns in those states.

07-15-2009, 8:10 AM
"the gov would know who has guns (as they do now)"

This also actually is a somewhat inaccurate statement as well. Most states do not have gun registration. The closest the gov't can get is to look at paper records that a gun dealer keeps. But that would only apply to people who have bought guns at a dealer. In states with unrestricted PPT....guns change hands with no records whatsoever.....the gov't has not idea who has guns in those states.

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" some people don't understand?

in·fringe (n-frnj)
v. in·fringed, in·fring·ing, in·fring·es
v.tr.

1. To transgress or exceed the limits of; violate: infringe a contract; infringe a patent.
2. Obsolete To defeat; invalidate.
v.intr.
To encroach on someone or something; engage in trespassing: an increased workload that infringed on his personal life

McCrown
07-15-2009, 8:15 AM
Just boucing some ideas around, perhaps I've lived in this communist state for too long?

ptdog
07-15-2009, 8:21 AM
Driving is considered a privilege, not a Right. I would oppose licensing for a Right.

putput
07-15-2009, 8:30 AM
You'd wake up one day and would need to renew your license. Then you'd find out that the wait time to get the renewal due to a lack of gov resources is several years. So, in effect, a total ban. See South Africa.

dixieD
07-15-2009, 8:40 AM
Horrible idea.

I think that driving is considered a privilege is also a problem. I would prefer that the BofR included a provision for the free travel or mobility of citizens.

Of course if we had that then the government would be arguing that it only meant that we can travel via horse and carriage, and the BofR never meant that we should be able to travel via the best tools available.

Such a provision would also put a damper on the governments expansion of the no-fly list.

MrClamperSir
07-15-2009, 8:45 AM
Yeah, I would love to deal with a DMV type in order to preserve my right to bear arms. I mean they are REAL efficient and very friendly. I don't even mind wasting spending my time down there when I could be doing something with my family. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I hear what you are saying and it sounds practical but the fact is this is our country and our lives. The guvernment has a limited role. I for one would like to see them stick to their roles.

07-15-2009, 8:56 AM
Just boucing some ideas around, perhaps I've lived in this communist state for too long?

Maybe. I lived in a communist country for 26 years and when I came to the US I too believed guns are only for cops and soldiers - just like most American liberals continue to believe. You need to do what I did: read more, educate yourself on this issue and join the NRA.

dwtt
07-15-2009, 9:06 AM

Are you from England? Isn't that what they did in the UK before they outright banned all guns from private ownership?

As others have said, this is a bad idea and it has been proposed by the gun control crowd 20 or so years ago.

mydogsmonkey
07-15-2009, 9:07 AM
yup as said before driving is a privelage, having guns is a right

jamespres2001
07-15-2009, 9:22 AM
This would work as well as SMOG control.
Some of you may remember Jay Leno trying to stop a change in the SMOG Laws. The Smog law sounded like a good idea at the time.
See http://articles.latimes.com/2004/sep/14/local/me-smog14

Now we have SMOG 2 and Test Only Stations.
Follow the money, another way to get money from us and control our guns!
We pay $35-$60 every 2 years so that we can drive on the road. Who obeys the law, law abiding people, who does not obey the law? Guess (Same as gun laws) No Offense, but This is a bad idea!

Vacaville
07-15-2009, 9:29 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/shall_not_be_infringed_bumper_sticker-p128871826276662928tmn6_210.jpg

dixieD
07-15-2009, 9:59 AM
I agree this will work as well as smog control.

We pay 30-60 every two years for smog, 100-400 per year (depending on vehicle) for registration, and currently about $1.50 per gallon for both above table and below table (hidden pass along business taxes) to drive. By my count and the 40 mpg I get on my moto I am paying approximately $1225 per year in these taxes for the privilege of mobility using the best tool available to me.

woodsman
07-15-2009, 12:38 PM

It is thinking like this that is responsible for the chipping away of our rights.

Complete foolishness.

You'll then be surprised when they show up at your door because they are collecting firearms from all those listed to have a license.

Like a camel, give them anything and they will try to take it all.

As previously stated, driving is not a right but gun ownership is.

Stan_Humphries
07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
The OP has a great idea.

Another suggestion: let's license people's ability to breed. Now hear me out... all I'm saying is that we can make people take and pass parenting classes before they can be allowed to reproduce. If babies are conceived to parents without licences, those parents can be charged, and the babies confiscated.

This will show the anti-lifers (aka, pro-choice) that we recognize the inherent danger to society that unfit parents pose....

bsim
07-15-2009, 1:22 PM
Heh - last I heard, reproduction wasn't an enumerated right either.

But I agree with the OP, once you're 'approved' (passing background check, etc.), you should't have to be 'reapproved'.

PEBKAC
07-15-2009, 1:24 PM
The OP has a great idea.

Another suggestion: let's license people's ability to breed. Now hear me out... all I'm saying is that we can make people take and pass parenting classes before they can be allowed to reproduce. If babies are conceived to parents without licences, those parents can be charged, and the babies confiscated.

This will show the anti-lifers (aka, pro-choice) that we recognize the inherent danger to society that unfit parents pose....
I too like this idea.

After all, idiots are one of the biggest threats to a free society, so just cut down on production and things should get better. ;)

Josh3239
07-15-2009, 1:24 PM
No... just no.

AHRIMAN
07-15-2009, 1:30 PM
Would you suggest that we should all have to get a 1st ammendment free speech license too?

2A is a right that shall not be infringed. What you propose is infringement of nearly the worst kind. Because once you open the door to gov't control and licensing it's all over. They will just make the requirements tougher and tougher to get a license, then start requiring insurance as part of getting your license, annual fees to keep you license and so on.

Just look at all the crap CA car owners/drivers hafta deal with. You really wanna do that with guns too?

What you propose is a step backwards. Other states have much freer, or nearly unrestricted gun laws and they do just fine. We dont need more regulation.....we need LESS!!!

Too late, everything you listed is pretty much in place already. Now we have to fight tooth and nail to reverse the damage the previous generations have done.

Grakken
07-15-2009, 1:37 PM
Bad idea for most of the reasons stated before. I understand where you are coming from but you operate under the premise that our government is above corruption, fraud and hidden agendas.

Untamed1972
07-15-2009, 2:30 PM
The problem with what the OP suggests is that it amounts to asking the gov't for permission to exercise a right they don't have the authority to control or limit in the first place.

HondaMasterTech
07-15-2009, 2:38 PM
I vote you learn a thing or two about the fact that most lawful gun owners are not idiots.

Sobriquet
07-15-2009, 2:47 PM
What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" some people don't understand?

The "NOT."

MolonLabe2008
07-15-2009, 2:54 PM

How about abolishing ALL gun laws since each and every one of them is Unconstitutional?

bigcalidave
07-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I wholly approve of a license to reproduce, required, or you and your "family" can go live in canada. GTFO.

No licenses for guns! Geez!

wildhawker
07-15-2009, 10:32 PM
I wholly approve of a license to reproduce, required, or you and your "family" can go live in canada. GTFO.

No licenses for guns! Geez!

While the OP may be contrary to our shared worldview, why are your responses so often caustic and lacking in substance? Can you not argue your own position?

ybz
07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
and make the license $895 renewable every year at $487... oh, and also have the state limit the number of licences to 100 per year... on the positive side, those with licences wont have to wait 10 days...

McCrown
07-16-2009, 8:42 AM
I agree, not infringed and I wasn't quite awake and thinking and forgot about priviledge vs right.

My main thought was more along the lines of shall issue for ccw and listed recievers and standard cap mags. Things that us normal citizens can't get that LEO can. Hopefully this will all change in the near future with all the legal proceedings coming out.

motorhead
07-16-2009, 9:08 AM
the state finds ways to regulate (and charge exorbidant fees) too many things already. i am for getting government OUT if my life as much as possible. the nanny state must die!!!

HowardW56
07-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I think you should be able to walk into Sears, pick out what you like, "try it on", buy it, and take it home like a pair of shoes...

Lancear15
07-16-2009, 1:31 PM
Hilter would have loved your idea.

bohoki
07-16-2009, 1:33 PM
guns aren't dangerous bullets are

its like the fear of heights vs the fear of falling its a subtle difference but a difference none the less